+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4615Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Smoking has a lot to do with a lot of health problems period. It is horrible for you. However, to say that about someone who just died as if any one of us has never done something that might not be the best choice, is in very very poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3703192;
    Smoking has a lot to do with a lot of health problems period. It is horrible for you. However, to say that about someone who just died as if any one of us has never done something that might not be the best choice, is in very very poor taste.
    I agree completely. While smoking is indeed very bad for you, and definitely a risk factor for many diseases including cancer, my Stepdad, who died of pancreatic cancer three years ago, never smoked a cigarette in his life.
    Valar Morghulis

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;3703396;
    I agree completely. While smoking is indeed very bad for you, and definitely a risk factor for many diseases including cancer, my Stepdad, who died of pancreatic cancer three years ago, never smoked a cigarette in his life.
    DH cousin died last year of lung cancer. Never smoked a day in his life. Nor did he ever take a drink of alcohol. Born and raised in Hawaii, he was an avid surfer and they related it to all the years of ingesting salt water.

My best friend's mom died a few years back of lung cancer.
    She never smoked...was never around second-hand smoke...lived a very quiet, sheltered life. Working part-time at a Hallmark card store was the riskiest thing she did.
    The doctors were perplexed as to how and why she got lung cancer.

My brother got a rare form of bone cancer and lived with it for about 4-5 years before he died.
    The weird thing is he should have died from years of drug abuse...but cancer got him instead.

We all live with our own demons. We will either die because of them or inspite of them.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by french dip;3703603;
    My best friend's mom died a few years back of lung cancer.
    She never smoked...was never around second-hand smoke...lived a very quiet, sheltered life. Working part-time at a Hallmark card store was the riskiest thing she did.
    The doctors were perplexed as to how and why she got lung cancer.

My brother got a rare form of bone cancer and lived with it for about 4-5 years before he died.
    The weird thing is he should have died from years of drug abuse...but cancer got him instead.

We all live with our own demons. We will either die because of them or inspite of them.
    Death is a fact of life.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3703687;
    Death is a fact of life.
    That was one thing that Patrick Swayze said in his last interview, "We are all dying".

So I did a quick research of pancreatic cancer. Smoking can be a factor (as it is in bladder cancer and other cancers)

Those most prone to pancreatic cancer are men over age 60, diabetics, smokers, excessive drinkers and those with diets low in fruits and vegetables.

Dr. Darrel Ross, an oncologist at St. John's Cancer Center, said remission is rare. Of the 43,000 Americans diagnosed with pancreatic cancer each year, about 35,000 die.

"Unfortunately, there is no direct way to detect pancreatic cancer," Ross said. "It's difficult to detect until it's very advanced. So until patients typically have severe pain, yellowing of their eyes, loss of appetite -- it's typically not until those things occur that they seek medical attention."
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

My grandfather died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life. Cancer is a horrible, horrible disease and NO ONE deserves to die that way, no matter what their lifestyle.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3703784;
    My grandfather died of lung cancer and never smoked a day in his life. Cancer is a horrible, horrible disease and NO ONE deserves to die that way, no matter what their lifestyle.
    LilBit--I am sorry to hear about your loss of your grandfather.

It is hard enough to lose a loved one to such a disease without people making uneducated assumptions about why the loved one died.

It is good that a lot more people now see smoking for the health risk that it is--but everyone needs to also learn that cancer is caused by any of numerous factors--and that only SOME lung cancers under SOME conditions are caused by smoking.

There are many other causes as well--causes over which the individual has no control at all.

This is unfortunately true for some other diseases as well. Like Liver Disease. I once had a beloved animal companion who suffered from chronic liver failure and when I told people what his disease was--I stopped telling them after I kept getting this response--a lot of people said--"How can an animal get liver disease when they don't drink?"

Sometimes a very little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous--and upset-making--thing.

My sympathies to all here who have lost loved ones to cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3703834;
    LilBit--I am sorry to hear about your loss of your grandfather.

Thanks Wind Dancer. My grandpa died a long time ago, when I was 16. I'm certainly not discounting the dangers of smoking. Both of my parents were heavy smokers and they both died of lung cancer. That's the main reason I quit. I don't want my kids to have to watch me die that way. I think that smoking is probably one of the worst things a person can do to their body, but it doesn't cause all cancers.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread