+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

  1. #4261
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I'm curious -- in all of the concern for the well-being of the kids, are Jon and Kate (or just Kate) the only ones responsible? If the key concern is simply the kids, then do any of the tabloids who write about them, or people intent on bringing them down, deserve any blame of criticism?

  2. #4262
    addicted MamaC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,499

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Most of the criticism falls onto Jon and Kate themselves, I think. They have allowed the TLC crew into their lives....at what cost?

    Kate, especially, comes off as a shrew, everything has to be her way. The way she treats her husband is most annoying. I have always felt Jon was the better parent since he at least did things with his children....played with them, bathed them, brushed their teeth, got them dressed (in what Kate demanded they wear on any given day)

    Kate says and does things on the show that just boggle the mind! The way she tells the girl tups that boys are yucky, etc. What is the point?

    Kate has alienated friends and family...people she once valued highly with regard to her children. How I wish those people could protect those kids now!'

    However, TLC should have some of the blame too. There is a lot of talk about how these children are being exploited. In CA and NY, there are laws in place regarding how much time a child can be on TV. Money earned from being on TV MUST go into the childrens' accounts, not the parents.

    I think it was last summer when the National Enquirer exposed these two for the sham that they are. I heard about it on the net and think that was the first time anything negative had been written. I could be wrong about that, but that was the first inking that all was not as it seemed. Other magazines, Good Housekeeping comes to mind, have run positive stories about the Gosselin family. Maybe it had already planned on doing so.....or maybe it was all spin control to undo the damage of the NE article. GH is much more respectable than the NE, right?

    A lot of people feel that Jon and Kate sold their souls to the devil at the expense of their children. Others see it as they are doing what they can to raise a large family. Another thing that really upsets people is how they continue to do these speaking engagements (for a fee of $25000, plus first-class airfare, staying in top hotels - complete with limos and a bodyguard -and selling pictures of their children and taking in love offerings, etc!) and still speak of the hardships of raising such a large family.

    One only has to look back at the Dionne quints to see what life in the limelight did for them. And that is why, I feel, most people are upset with the way these two have led their lives...at the expense of their childrens' privacy and mental well-being.

  3. #4263
    Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    She does it to herself. She's the most vocal and visible of the two.

    eta: yesterday i saw a clip of her, Jon and the brood in a store and she had the audacity to talk to down to him the way you would a child.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  4. #4264
    FORT Fogey norealityhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    8,146

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3441175;
    Most of the criticism falls onto Jon and Kate themselves, I think. They have allowed the TLC crew into their lives....at what cost?

    Kate, especially, comes off as a shrew, everything has to be her way. The way she treats her husband is most annoying. I have always felt Jon was the better parent since he at least did things with his children....played with them, bathed them, brushed their teeth, got them dressed (in what Kate demanded they wear on any given day)

    Kate says and does things on the show that just boggle the mind! The way she tells the girl tups that boys are yucky, etc. What is the point?

    Kate has alienated friends and family...people she once valued highly with regard to her children. How I wish those people could protect those kids now!'

    However, TLC should have some of the blame too. There is a lot of talk about how these children are being exploited. In CA and NY, there are laws in place regarding how much time a child can be on TV. Money earned from being on TV MUST go into the childrens' accounts, not the parents.

    I think it was last summer when the National Enquirer exposed these two for the sham that they are. I heard about it on the net and think that was the first time anything negative had been written. I could be wrong about that, but that was the first inking that all was not as it seemed. Other magazines, Good Housekeeping comes to mind, have run positive stories about the Gosselin family. Maybe it had already planned on doing so.....or maybe it was all spin control to undo the damage of the NE article. GH is much more respectable than the NE, right?

    A lot of people feel that Jon and Kate sold their souls to the devil at the expense of their children. Others see it as they are doing what they can to raise a large family. Another thing that really upsets people is how they continue to do these speaking engagements (for a fee of $25000, plus first-class airfare, staying in top hotels - complete with limos and a bodyguard -and selling pictures of their children and taking in love offerings, etc!) and still speak of the hardships of raising such a large family.

    One only has to look back at the Dionne quints to see what life in the limelight did for them. And that is why, I feel, most people are upset with the way these two have led their lives...at the expense of their childrens' privacy and mental well-being.

    What happened to the Dionne quintuplets? Weren't they one of the first multiple birth cases in the US - occurring in the 50's or 60's? Are they still alive?
    To Thine Own Self Be True

  5. #4265
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,319

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I don't think she does it to herself, exactly. People just choose to ignore the fact that there are 2 people in this marriage who are equally responsible to this family. Women usually catch the most hell when there are children involved. I'm not defending her, but it's always, "Kate this, Kate that, Kate this, Kate that"; she cannot be totally responsible for all of this mess by herself, and his part should also be acknowledged....not just his affair, but his neglect of his family, over all....whether it's by his infidelity or his passive behavior. What is HE doing to make this a better family?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  6. #4266
    FORT Fogey luvsginger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunny California
    Posts
    2,157

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3441197;
    What happened to the Dionne quintuplets? Weren't they one of the first multiple birth cases in the US - occurring in the 50's or 60's? Are they still alive?
    The Dionne Quintuplets were born near Ontario, Canada in 1934. The identical sisters were conceived naturally and born to poor farmers. They were taken away from their parents who were deemed unfit by the government. The quints were put on display in an outdoor compound referred to as "Quintland". Only two are alive today. The quints also alleged they were sexually assaulted by their father when they were returned to their parents. It's really a sad story.
    Dionne quintuplets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Also, the sisters wrote an open letter to the McCaughy Family writing "multiple births should not be confused with entertainment, nor should they be an opportunity to sell products".

  7. #4267
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3441280;
    The Dionne Quintuplets were born near Ontario, Canada in 1934. The identical sisters were conceived naturally and born to poor farmers. They were taken away from their parents who were deemed unfit by the government. The quints were put on display in an outdoor compound referred to as "Quintland". Only two are alive today. The quints also alleged they were sexually assaulted by their father when they were returned to their parents. It's really a sad story.
    Dionne quintuplets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Also, the sisters wrote an open letter to the McCaughy Family writing "multiple births should not be confused with entertainment, nor should they be an opportunity to sell products".

    I consider being filmed for a TV show, and being on display in what could only be described as an amusement park are quite different things. The sexual abuse aspect is also quite different. Not exactly a direct comparison to the Goesslins or any other family with children on Tv.

  8. #4268
    Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Age
    35
    Posts
    21,527

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I keep seeing over and over again that the Gosselin's are using their children for fame and fortune basically. How so? How is it different than any other reality TV family? Why do the Gosselin's get so much flack? The Duggars get money too. So do the Roloffs (have you seen their home lately?). And the new TLC family. Just because the Gosselins chose to spend it....doesn't mean they are using their children to get the money. The only reason the Gosselins are given such a hard time is ....Kate. That's it thats all. You either love her or hate her....and if you hate her....you blame everything on her. I would bet money that a lot of you would buy yourselves a new home....a new car....some new furniture....if you happened to be on a TV show.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

  9. #4269
    FORT Fogey MsDiva2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Del Mar, California
    Age
    52
    Posts
    4,653

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    Yeah kate seems to catch hell for some reason. I don't see any evidence that proves that either person cheated. I will wait for the evidence before I judge them. Kate just can't win.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

  10. #4270
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,641

    Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

    I don't like Kate - I don't watch the show because I can't stand her. However, whatever is going on in their marriage is not solely her fault: they deserve equal blame.

    As for going on a TV show, yes, I would probably buy a new house, car or whatever else if I had my own TV show (this would never happen because I have NO desire to ever be on TV), but there's one difference between me and the other people mentioned (Gosselins, Duggars, etc.): I would never put my children in front of TV cameras for profit when they were too young to give their consent. Some may argue that they need to do that to afford such a large family, but my feeling is that, if you can't afford to support your family without (sorry) pimping them out on TV, then you probably shouldn't have that many children in the first place.

    So...howabout that whole Megan Fox/bisexual thing? (<---lame attempt to turn discussion back to actual celebrities)
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.