+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3437578;
    I know a couple where the man quit a well paying construction job and took another job because the construction job was keeping him away from home for long periods of time and was causing a considerable strain on their marriage. They have less money now, but a happier marriage. I guess it's all in where your priorities lie.
    I totally agree. And they have made some adjustments - such as Jon not going along on the speaking engagements (which translates to a pay cut because they charged more to get both of them than they did to get just one of them). My point was that I don't think it is as cut and dry simple as was being suggested -- just quit the speaking engagements, which means quit working. To quit the speaking engagements would mean finding new employment elsewhere. When Jon had a "regular guy" job, and was away from home for the demands of that, it brought on its own set of challenges for them -- both in the amount of time one parent was home with the kids on their own (which, while Jon is doing it now, may very well still translate to less time overall with one at home) AND in some of the benefits of employment, primarily healthcare. Since the six were born, Jon lost two jobs due to the number of dependents he had to insure. So while the speaking for employment is not their ONLY option, it some ways, they may be a little more limited in finding practical employment than your average 2-3 kids family.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3437636;
    Since the six were born, Jon lost two jobs due to the number of dependents he had to insure. So while the speaking for employment is not their ONLY option, it some ways, they may be a little more limited in finding practical employment than your average 2-3 kids family.
    Jon's former employer tells quite a different story regarding why Jon lost his job.

Jon and Kate Gosselin - Philadelphia Magazine - phillymag.com
    None of this comes as a surprise to David Rothermel. Owner of a custom cabinetry business in Lancaster County, he was Jon’s boss (and a friend of Jon’s parents) during Kate’s second pregnancy. He’s the guy singled out during Jon and Kate’s speaking engagements as the man who “did not want to insure [Jon] … they let him go.” However, Rothermel says — and supporting documents prove — that Jon Gosselin was fired for other reasons. The state unemployment office ruled that Jon improperly did a side job on company time; furthermore, Rothermel claims that before the babies were even born, Jon was on the phone and the Internet soliciting freebies, boasting openly that he was never going to have to work again.
    Since has already admitted to marital problems, I don't see how his spending nights in bars is going to help that situation. A lot of families do whatever they need to do to keep their family intact. Jon and Kate are certainly able to find gainful employment without having cameras film their kids lives and without one of them traveling for half of every month.
    CYA

I am one of seven children; my mom was a stay at home mom. Dad worked full time and we always had health insurance through his job. One of my aunts and uncles had nine kids....all were on my uncle's health insurance policy from work. A cousin of mine has seven children, all insured under her husband's health insurance policy.

I would like to see proof that he lost those jobs because his insurance policy wouldn't cover those children. Or that his employer couldn't afford to cover their insurance. I read somewhere that he lost one of those jobs when he was caught doing a side job on company time. He can be such a dolt, I can see that actually happening!

Since they are "self-employed" now, they would have to have their own private health insurance policy which is more expensive than a company's health insurance policy would cost.

I've read where Kate gets $60,000 per TLC episode. Add that to the $25,000 per speaking engagement and whatever cash they collect through the "love offerings" at these engagements.....it all adds up to quite the hefty annual salary for these two. Then throw in the sales of their DVDs and what they have to claim for all the freebies they received throughout the year. She could certainly limit the number of speaking engagements, scale them back to one or two a month and still be making a nice salary.

Guess we will have to see how this plays out and what is more important to these two nitwits....money or their marriage/family.

As to the "other woman" it is now known that she is a third-grade teacher at a nearby school. How ironic is it that the twins will be entering third grade this year! Apparently she is now saying that her brother is a jerk and making up all these lies about her and Jon. I am wondering if this isn't some sick way for the brother to make some kind of money off of his sister knowing Jon.

Woman Linked to Jon Gosselin Says She's Devastated by the Lies - Scandals & Feuds, Jon Gosselin : People.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3437636;
    I totally agree. And they have made some adjustments - such as Jon not going along on the speaking engagements (which translates to a pay cut because they charged more to get both of them than they did to get just one of them). My point was that I don't think it is as cut and dry simple as was being suggested -- just quit the speaking engagements, which means quit working. To quit the speaking engagements would mean finding new employment elsewhere. When Jon had a "regular guy" job, and was away from home for the demands of that, it brought on its own set of challenges for them -- both in the amount of time one parent was home with the kids on their own (which, while Jon is doing it now, may very well still translate to less time overall with one at home) AND in some of the benefits of employment, primarily healthcare. Since the six were born, Jon lost two jobs due to the number of dependents he had to insure. So while the speaking for employment is not their ONLY option, it some ways, they may be a little more limited in finding practical employment than your average 2-3 kids family.
    The Gosselins live in a HUGE 6200 square foot house that sits on 26 acre of land complete with an outdoor swimming pool and all the amenities that anyone could ever dream of. They have 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. The property also includes a separate barn and garage. They have 4 wheel drive vehicles to drive around on the property, a new $40,000 sports car, the twins attend a private school that where the tuition is close to $20,000/per child and the house is newly furnished with brand new furniture and new kitchen appliances including a brand new sub zero refrigerator.
    How much is enough? What was wrong with the house they were living in? They just wanted more and more and more and that means more and more speaking engagements.
    I am assuming the kids college education funds are secure since they now have extra money to spend on grown up toys like Jon's new sports car.
    I bet they were the happiest when they lived in the first house and actually clipped coupons and struggled to make ends meet. Look at them now....that is what happens when greed comes into play.

Exclusive: Jon Gosselin tells EW 'I am not guilty of cheating on my wife' | Showbiz News and Scoop | Studio and Network Dish | EW.com'

They are quoted as saying "they want to live normal lives". How is that possible when your life is broadcast in front of millions of viewers several times a day? If they wanted to be private citizens, they should not be involved in a reality show. What is so unfortunate is that the children did not even have a choice.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people (generally speaking), always want more? Nothing wrong with that. It's the American way.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3438010;
    The Gosselins live in a HUGE 6200 square foot house that sits on 26 acre of land complete with an outdoor swimming pool and all the amenities that anyone could ever dream of. They have 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms. The property also includes a separate barn and garage. They have 4 wheel drive vehicles to drive around on the property, a new $40,000 sports car, the twins attend a private school that where the tuition is close to $20,000/per child and the house is newly furnished with brand new furniture and new kitchen appliances including a brand new sub zero refrigerator.
    How much is enough? What was wrong with the house they were living in? They just wanted more and more and more and that means more and more speaking engagements.
    I am assuming the kids college education funds are secure since they now have extra money to spend on grown up toys like Jon's new sports car.
    I bet they were the happiest when they lived in the first house and actually clipped coupons and struggled to make ends meet. Look at them now....that is what happens when greed comes into play.

Exclusive: Jon Gosselin tells EW 'I am not guilty of cheating on my wife' | Showbiz News and Scoop | Studio and Network Dish | EW.com'

They are quoted as saying "they want to live normal lives". How is that possible when your life is broadcast in front of millions of viewers several times a day? If they wanted to be private citizens, they should not be involved in a reality show. What is so unfortunate is that the children did not even have a choice.
    I don't fault anyone for making money if they find a legal, ethical way to do so. I will also point out that because they are on TV, they've got some security concernsthat your average family does not have, which necessitates SOME of the property / private school, etc provisions. Just like I do not fault the Obamas for promoting public schools but sending their kids to private schools because of the security concerns, I do not fault a family like the Goeslins who have to contend with crazies coming after them from taking SOME of the provisions such as the private school, or a secluded house. Does thatmean all of the ammenities are needs rather than wants? Certainly not ... but again, I don't think its' realistic to judge them against your average family.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3438029;
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people (generally speaking), always want more? Nothing wrong with that. It's the American way.
    Sure it is, but most people don't use their kids to buy them what they want. No sextuplets, no tv show, no story for the speaking engagements, no books, no endorsement deals. Well, it looks like their ship is sinking anyway.....poor kids..it's awful to have your faces plastered all over the tabloids at the check out stand at the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3438054;
    I don't fault anyone for making money if they find a legal, ethical way to do so. I will also point out that because they are on TV, they've got some security concernsthat your average family does not have, which necessitates SOME of the property / private school, etc provisions. Just like I do not fault the Obamas for promoting public schools but sending their kids to private schools because of the security concerns, I do not fault a family like the Goeslins who have to contend with crazies coming after them from taking SOME of the provisions such as the private school, or a secluded house. Does thatmean all of the ammenities are needs rather than wants? Certainly not ... but again, I don't think its' realistic to judge them against your average family.
    I guess that is what the big debate is all about. Some people don't think that it is ethical to use your kids so you don't have to work. Jon and Kate have both said, "our life is the show, and the show is our life", those kids did not choose that life. I understand the privacy issues and I think it was a smart move but keep in mind, the kids were in that private school prior to the success of their show. Also, the Gosselins used to have a website where they had a "prayer" list for items they needed for their children...in other words...they were solicitating donations. On that list, was a request for tuition money for the twins. I think it's great that people have been so generous to this family and to other families in need but I think they have had pretty much all of their needs met and enough is enough.

It's clear that there are fans and non-fans of the show that will never agree on the Gosselins but I think the one thing that everyone will agree on is that the priority should be the welfare of the children. That includes their mental welfare and the security of knowing that all is well with their family. They are going to need time to heal from this latest scandal and I truly hope that TLC will allow some time off for this family to deal with whatever is happening in private.
    The sextuplets will turn 5 this Sunday on Mother's Day, I hope they will be able to celebrate both events quietly and without cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3438054;
    I don't think using your children to make money is ethical in any way...
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Kate will be on Larry King Live tonight (5/7). Even though she's in the middle of promoting her latest book, I'm sure that she'll be appearing to address this latest fiasco. This is what she told Entertainment Weekly:
    Exclusive: Jon Gosselin tells EW 'I am not guilty of cheating on my wife' | Showbiz News and Scoop | Studio and Network Dish | EW.com

Kate: It's disturbing and unfortunate that these tabloids have gone as far as they have to try and bring us down. Jon's poor judgment and irresponsible behavior has also without a doubt caused some added tension and stress between the two of us.
    CYA

What's sad is that they are appearing on the Today show with all 8 children in tow. Kate was hounded by the paps while in NY yesterday, I hope they are not bringing the kids to act as a shield.
    Well, it certainly is big celebrity news...it was the lead story on E news tonight complete with the video of Jon sneaking out of the girlfriends house. Poor kids!

+ Reply to Thread