+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3422822;
    I think it depends on the priest and that particular church because one of the Catholic churches here was refusing to give communion to anyone that voted for Obama because he is pro-choice.
    Also had a friend who was refused the chance to be married in her own church as she was a) pregnant and b) her future husband was divorced. The priest refused, so they got a notary and had a garden wedding. Refused to baptize the baby too, so they became Baptists.

As Mel has his own church and presumably own priest for that church, he can probably do what he wants.
    It does not apply as much in a question of baptism or marriage, but when it comes to something like refusing communion to a large group such as "people who voted for Obama" I think that more often than not, those statements are nothing more than statements. After all, how would a preist who made that decision enforce it? It would be entirely up to parishoners to decided they voted for Obama, and therefore cannot go up for communion. There would be no logical way for a priest to stand in front of the church and turn people away.

Sure, there are hardliners (to quote girlsmom) here and there. Perhaps it's even a geographical or cultural thing, because I also know an unmarried Catholic couple who have had 4 kids, all baptized in the church (in Montreal, of all places, where you would think the church would be more old-school in its practices). But it's much easier to adhere to a faith when you're not judged too harshly by its leaders. Catholicism makes it pretty damn hard for people as a rule - oh, the ethical battles I've waged with myself - but they know not to bite the hands that feed them too often or too hard for the most part, I think. But there is ugliness in all religions, and in all aspects of Christian faith - hey, Fred Phelps calls his church Baptist, but I'm sure most Baptists wouldn't want to be lumped in with him. By the same token, I hope no one would lump me in with Mel Gibson.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3422834;
    It does not apply as much in a question of baptism or marriage, but when it comes to something like refusing communion to a large group such as "people who voted for Obama" I think that more often than not, those statements are nothing more than statements. After all, how would a preist who made that decision enforce it? It would be entirely up to parishoners to decided they voted for Obama, and therefore cannot go up for communion. There would be no logical way for a priest to stand in front of the church and turn people away.
    In some of the instances, some of the congregation had Obama stickers on their cars and he knew who they were and refused them communion.

Ajane, I would never lump you in with ALL Catholics or Mel Gibson. I realize that faith is a very personal thing to most people. It is to me, but people sometimes do tend to lump us all together in denominations when sometimes it's just the particular pastor in a particular church who is setting the rules. I did have my own Catholic experiences though by going to Catholic school for years. But I can see where it might also be a regional thing. And like you said, the Church can't bite the hand that feeds them and some priests are more liberal than others. The one here refusing communion to Obama voters took a heck of a lot of flack and had to back off his stance.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-23-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3422871;
    In some of the instances, some of the congregation had Obama stickers on their cars and he knew who they were and refused them communion.
    I was just going to ask how they could know who voted for Obama, but that makes sense.

The whole thing is really a shame, because I always thought the Gibsons had a really solid marriage. He's had some bad issues over the last few years though, and everyone has their limit of what they can live with. It's just sad to see a marriage dissolve after so many years.

I truly believe that the whole thing is beyond ridiculous. Spirituality is. The moral rules are quite clear. The political and contrived rules are (yes, I am going to use the word again) ridiculous.

/end organized religion rant
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fanatic

Funny, everyone thinks I am such a pessimist. But the older I get the clearer it becomes that everyone lives the life of a fraud. When someone pontificates too loudly about any moral stance, I giggle to myself. Phoneys.

Sarah Jessica Parker expecting twins via surrogate

Sarah Jessica Parker expecting twins via surrogate

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) "Sex and the City" actress Sarah Jessica Parker and her husband Matthew Broderick are expecting twin girls via a surrogate mother, their representatives said on Tuesday.

Parker, 44, and Broderick, 47, "are happily anticipating the birth of their twin daughters later this summer with the generous help of a surrogate. The entire family is overjoyed," a statement from the couple said.

The couple have a six year old son, James, and have long wanted to add to their family but had no luck, an unidentified friend was quoted as telling Entertainment Weekly magazine.

They turned to a surrogate last year, the magazine said. The surrogate's name and details have not been disclosed.

"They had a lot of unsuccessful tries," the friend was quoted as saying. "They came to the conclusion that this was going to be the best alternative for expanding their family."

Parker is expected to begin shooting a sequel later this year to the hit movie version of "Sex and the City" along with fellow stars Cynthia Nixon, Kim Cattrall and Kristin Davis.

Broderick, star of the Broadway musical and movie "The Producers", and Parker married in 1997.

--------------------

The last I had read about this couple was that they were having major marital problems and heading towards divorce!

Premium Member

Is Matthew Broderick filming something, I saw him on TMZ and the guy was grey he looked really old all of a sudden?

I wonder if the surrogate is the same person that Matthew was "seeing" last year?!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I was also wondering if this is an attempt to keep the marriage together. I hope not.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread