+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4584Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Right. That's why I don't get Veruka's objection. If Gibson is "devout", he's one of those horrible people who embody the form, but not the spirit. Which, frankly, is probably worse than having no "faith" at all.

In other words, he rolls holy, but it's always Snake Eyes.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm probably misinterpreting this because I don't have a Catholic background, but I thought "devout" just meant devoted to - like a devout Catholic might attend religious services more often than the average Catholic (sorry I don't know the proper terms to use).
    I think someone's failings shouldn't necessarily be viewed as a negative indicator of their level of repentance, if that makes any sense. Personally, my daily failings, whether big or small, mean I continue to fall short and therefore continue to ask forgiveness.
    I appreciated the link posted upthread explaining annulments - I'm not trying to mock the process, but I thought it was interesting that it mentioned "absence of a proper intention to...remain together until death" as one of the most common reasons.
    remember to play

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3416636;
    But he appears to be an unrepentant sinner. At least for some of those sins. Being devout implies a willingness to learn the lessons taught by your religion. Has Gibson?
    Given that none of us know the man, and none of us know what is in his heart, I have utterly no idea how we would discern that. In my own life, there are sins I commit which I recognize, repent for, and then commit them again. Does that mean that I'm not willing to learn from my religion? Or does that mean I'm mortal?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Zac Efron creeps me out playing all of these juvenile roles at age 21. Something about that is just not right.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Most actors who play teens aren't.
    I've grown so used to it, when I see an actual teen I think they look like little children!
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

I guess we can go ahead and absolve every catholic rapist, murder, thief, etc. as long as said person repents or says 20 Hail Mary's or goes to Church the day after the sins are committed. We can also deem them as devout catholics for all the weight that carries. Sorry, but my grandmother is rolling in her grave at this conversation.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3417313;
    I guess we can go ahead and absolve every catholic rapist, murder, thief, etc. as long as said person repents or says 20 Hail Mary's or goes to Church the day after the sins are committed. We can also deem them as devout catholics for all the weight that carries. Sorry, but my grandmother is rolling in her grave at this conversation.
    We don't have to, but apparently god will.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3417313;
    Hmmm... I never realized that devout = perfect. Luckily my God doesn't work that way.

I agree with Veruka. I've never seen Mel Gibson declare himself to be devout... that's just an adjective that others seemed to have saddled him with due to the rigidness of the orthodox Catholicism that he apparently has followed/follows/attempts to follow. Nor have I seen nor heard him request to be absolved of his sins.

From all accounts this man has been tormented by bouts of depression.. depression which has been magnified and fueled by alcoholism. Alcoholism is a disease... wouldn't it be fabulous if everyone that suffered from it was magically cured after the first lapse?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I've known many alcoholics and they have not gone out and committed adultery or been womanizers. And I've known many alcoholics who didn't turn into "racists" when they started drinking. And, if you were the cop who had to listen to this poor, poor depressed man ranting innumerable racist comments, you would not be feeling at all sorry for him.
    Last edited by norealityhere; 04-18-2009 at 12:13 AM.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I do feel sorry for Mel because alcoholism is a disease, one that is difficult to treat and makes people do and say things they would normally not unless under the influence of alcohol.

+ Reply to Thread