+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4667Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

The annulment allows the Catholic participants to get out of the marriage, but still be able to take part in all of the Church's rituals and holy sacraments....and remarry within the Church, should they so desire.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It still doesn't make any sense at all to me as far as morally correct. But then there are many 'rules' and 'rule breaking get-arounds' that I disagree with.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

I never understood the annulment in a long-standing marriage. I understand wanting to participate in the rituals, etc, but to act as if the marriage never happened seems a lot of BS-I wonder if only rich people who gave a lot of money were the ones who participated in annulments in the beginning. Wow-do I sound a little cynical?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3414322;
    You don't need money to get an annulment from the Catholic church. There are a series of papers to fill out and then they are sent to the church and you are granted an annulment. It may take a while, but you don't need to pay an excessive amount of money for one.
    But it helps to give a "donation" to the church. I happen to know someone that was being stymied in getting an annulment until they made a large cash donation and then, low and behold, the annulment came through without further delay. They have since left the church because of that very action. If you have money, you can get things done, if you don't, you don't. Not very fair, but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3414427;
    But a hefty "donation" would be graciously accepted.

I've seen the annulment documents, and it is quite a hefty packet.
    Ah, I see you are aquainted with the "money talks" part of the Catholic way of doing things.
    Last edited by MRD; 04-15-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

This discussion prompted me to google the issue, and in doing so, I came across this article which discusses the annulment process from the Catholic church's perspective.

Catholic Update Octoberę2002-10 Questions About Annulment by Father Joseph M. Champlin

After I read it, it makes more sense to me. I no longer interpret the term annulment as defined by the church to mean the marriae never happened. As I read it, essentially the annulment is the religious acknowledgement of the dissolution of the marriage - the divorce being the civil aspect. Even in the US where you don't have to do both a civil and (if you choose) separate religious ceremony, there are still church aspects to a marriage, and civil aspects. Ministers are given the power from the state, but still have to file paperwork with the state for each marriage performed. So as I read it, the annulment process is a formality of the same -- you go through the civil divorce, and then the religious acknowledgement of the dissolution of the marriage as well. The difference being that in many states, you've got no-fault divorce, but the Catholic church does not offer no-fault annulment.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3414792;
    But it helps to give a "donation" to the church. I happen to know someone that was being stymied in getting an annulment until they made a large cash donation and then, low and behold, the annulment came through without further delay. They have since left the church because of that very action. If you have money, you can get things done, if you don't, you don't. Not very fair, but it happens.
    It may help, but it is definitely not the norm or required to get an annulment. The whole annulment process can take a while (like over a year) and people might feel they aren't getting an answer quick enough (or want to get re-married in the Catholic church) and do donations in an attempt to speed up the process. I'm sure it happens, but it is definitely not the norm to be pressured into giving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3414322;
    You don't need money to get an annulment from the Catholic church. There are a series of papers to fill out and then they are sent to the church and you are granted an annulment. It may take a while, but you don't need to pay an excessive amount of money for one.
    Sorry, but the only people I've ever known to be successful in this arena were those with money. I've known of several friends who could not marry in the church and each had been in former marriages for very short periods. None had been in a marriage for more than 20 years.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3414860;
    Sorry, but the only people I've ever known to be successful in this arena were those with money.
    I live in Boston, pleanty of paupers her with no cash to donate.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3414860;
    Sorry, but the only people I've ever known to be successful in this arena were those with money. I've known of several friends who could not marry in the church and each had been in former marriages for very short periods. None had been in a marriage for more than 20 years.
    I've known a couple of people to go through the process and none of them paid any money to get the annulment. It took up to a year and half for one, but she still received it, she had been married for about 25 years.

One of my friends got her annulment after about a year and a half wait, and she certainly did not have any kind of money to pay for one. She had only been married about 3 years when she figured it was not going to last. Once she got her annulment she did marry again. Second marriage is now going on 29 years.

I know other people who have gotten divorced but never bothered with getting an annulment. Guess to them, the idea of never receiving Communion again, etc., was no big deal.

I know that in my friend's case, her second husband had never been married before and he was a devout Catholic. I think it was really because of his views (wanting to get married in the Church, etc.) that she went for the annulment.

In Mel's case, since he is such a devout Catholic, I can see where he would want an annulment so that he can still practice his faith.

I heard that they did not have a prenup so it should be interesting to see how much this divorce is going to cost.

+ Reply to Thread