+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I'm glad to see he was convicted. He has a long history of women accusing him of violence. I've thought from the beginning he was guilty as sin.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3412126;
    Mel Gibson Divorce Filing Cites Irreconcilable Differences - Today's News: Our Take | TVGuide.com

I also heard on a TMZ video clip that she's seeking spousal support. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think if someone receives a multi-million dollar settlement (which she will most likely receive) that there is no reason to seek spousal support on top of that. Just give me my millions and I'll be on my way .
    Intetesting, I thought he was one of those really, really fundamentalist Catholics that don't believe Vatican II and all that other stuff. I can't remember what they call them, but it's not UberCatholic which is kind of what it is. It was one of the reasons he did Passion of the Christ.

So having said that, I wonder if he'll seek an annulment from the church. He's got the money to pay for one. That way, the marriage never took place and so therefore, he won't be divorced.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3413443;
    Intetesting, I thought he was one of those really, really fundamentalist Catholics that don't believe Vatican II and all that other stuff. I can't remember what they call them, but it's not UberCatholic which is kind of what it is. It was one of the reasons he did Passion of the Christ.

So having said that, I wonder if he'll seek an annulment from the church. He's got the money to pay for one. That way, the marriage never took place and so therefore, he won't be divorced.
    He is a very strict Catholic. Given that his wife is the one who filed for divorce, I'm not sure how that plays in to it. All we know is that SHE is in favor of the divorce. That doesn't give us HIS feelings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3413443;
    You don't need money to get an annulment from the Catholic church. There are a series of papers to fill out and then they are sent to the church and you are granted an annulment. It may take a while, but you don't need to pay an excessive amount of money for one.

What does an annulment "do" to children born of the marriage? Are they legitimate? Do they exist? Do they become immaculate conceptions (since the marriage never happened)?

famita - I was raised Catholic, went through 12 years of Catholic school, and I never did know the answer to that question!

Well, I'm not Catholic, but I did just google this. Evidently there is a specific Code in the Cannons of Code (or whatever it's called) that covers this. The children are considered legitimate.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

I've always been confused about anullments. I can see them after a short period (like 1 day - 3 months) - but could never get the grasp of saying there was never a marriage after 20+ years. To me that is more morally wrong than a divorce.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;3414322;
    You don't need money to get an annulment from the Catholic church. There are a series of papers to fill out and then they are sent to the church and you are granted an annulment. It may take a while, but you don't need to pay an excessive amount of money for one.

But a hefty "donation" would be graciously accepted.

I've seen the annulment documents, and it is quite a hefty packet.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3414396;
    I've always been confused about anullments. I can see them after a short period (like 1 day - 3 months) - but could never get the grasp of saying there was never a marriage after 20+ years. To me that is more morally wrong than a divorce.
    I have to agree. An annulment after a short period of time is an indication that the couple realized they made a mistake. However, if a couple has been married for a longer amount of time, they shouldn't be able to rewrite history if they want a divorce.

+ Reply to Thread