+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5271Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Lois, I'm with you on this one. Everyone has some issue that is near and dear to their own heart. Personally, I am an animal helper. In the event of Mr. Rattus predeceasing me (increasingly unlikely given how much ice cream I eat), my will directs all my property to be distributed amongst various animal organizations. This, for some reason, enrages some people whose efforts are directed towards children's charities. I have no idea why. I say, good for them helping out the starving children, and victims of disasters, and the homeless sidekicks. If everyone helps someone different, it will be an overall better world.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Nicely said both Lois and Rattus! I've long believed that if everyone would pick one cause that means something to him or her and direct charitable efforts (money, time or both) to that cause, that we'd all be much better off. If all those causes were the same, we'd be in trouble. But we've all got individual interests and passions, and that makes the world spin rather well.

On the topic of Trump -- I'm sure that publicity played a role in his decision (otherwise he could have easily done the same thing without the public knowing). But of all the things that Trump has inserted himself in for publicity sake, I have to say it's quite refreshing to see him inserting himself for good this time!

How do you know he is not helping needy families? Maybe he doesn't need to publicize everything. But then again...we are talking about Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3166685;
    I guess my feeling on the McMahon/Trump merger is this. Yes, Trump could've used that money to help needy families who never had the kind of resources Ed McMahon did, and didn't fritter their money away but just couldn't make ends meet no matter how much they worked. But ultimately it's Trump's money to do with as he wishes. As to whether it was just for publicity, who cares? He ended up helping another person and if he gets publicity for that, so be it.

I'm not a Trump fan and I don't care one way of the other for Ed McMahon. But I do find it irritating when people put down one person for helping others by asking, "Why didn't he help so and so instead?" This happens a lot with Oprah (who I'm actually not a fan of either, though I do appreciate some of the things she does). When she opened the school in Africa, she got a lot of flack from people who said she should've opened a school in the U.S. When Angelina adopted kids overseas, she got flack for not adopting a child from the U.S. Usually the people doing all the finger pointing are the ones who don't donate anything to anyone. Just 'cause none of us have the kind of money that Trump does doesn't mean that we can't help those in the U.S. (or anywhere) who are less fortunate than us.

I'm not aiming this post at anyone here 'cause I know we're a snarky bunch. It's more of my irritation from hearing deejays etc. talk about this stuff.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3166936;
    How do you know he is not helping needy families? Maybe he doesn't need to publicize everything. But then again...we are talking about Donald Trump
    I did qualify it by saying that he could've used that money (the money used for McMahon's house) for needy families... He might be helping tons of people for all I know. More power to him! (But I suspect he likes to publicize his good deeds. )

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I wish he'd publicize his good deeds by helping people in post-Katrina Louisiana, etc. Spread the love around, Donald. It makes no sense that so many of these people are still living like Katrina just happened last month.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3166521;
    Yes, McMahon frittered it all away on things like doctors and medications...
    The man made millions over his lifetime. He should own that home outright. He is a member of SAG which provides medical insurance so I doubt that all that money went into a co-pay. As I said earlier Trump can do with his money as he sees fit, IMO it is money that could have been better spent.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3167331;
    The man made millions over his lifetime. He should own that home outright. He is a member of SAG which provides medical insurance so I doubt that all that money went into a co-pay. As I said earlier Trump can do with his money as he sees fit, IMO it is money that could have been better spent.
    So, would you put him out on the street? The guy messed up, not everyone is perfect. People with money sometimes lose it.

Besides, I'm sure Trump got the house for less than it was worth and it'll be an investment for him.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Quote Originally Posted by sukee;3167422;
    So, would you put him out on the street? The guy messed up, not everyone is perfect. People with money sometimes lose it.
    No I would not put him out on the street no one should live that way but in NYC alone there are over 30,000 homeless people.
    CYA

I'll admit, this story brought a tear to my eye. I'm sure Matilda will never want for anything in her life, but I thought this was a very sweet gesture.
    Depp, Law + Farrell's Gift To Ledger's Daughter

16 August 2008 7:15 AM, PDT

Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell have donated their fee for completing Heath Ledger's final film role to the late star's daughter.

The acting trio agreed to play versions of Ledger's character Tim in The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus following his death in January.

And they decided to donate their fees to two-year-old Matilda - Ledger's daughter with actress Michelle Williams - because the star left an old will which did not include the little girl.

Director Terry Gilliam has praised the actors for their generosity, saying: "They didn't take money - it goes to Heath's daughter.

"That's extraordinary! And wonderful... and when you're part of that, you think, 'Ah, this is maybe why I went into the movies in the beginning. I thought it would be full of wonderful people.' And we've got a movie full of wonderful people who did extraordinary things to help."
    Depp, Law + Farrell's Gift To Ledger's Daughter
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Aww, that is really fantastic. It's so nice to hear these things and be reminded that there are some decent people still around!

+ Reply to Thread