+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4602Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

He was good in 'We Are Marshall', too.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I also liked A Time to Kill. He is a good actor. Just a bit eccentric as a person.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Well this is interesting. I have been feeling sorry for Ed McMahon over this. Good on Donald Trump:

Trump to buy McMahon's home, let him live there - Yahoo! News

Trump to buy McMahon's home, let him live there

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) Donald Trump will soon be Ed McMahon's landlord.

Trump announced Thursday he would save the television personality's Beverly Hills mansion from foreclosure by buying it for an undisclosed amount and leasing it to McMahon.

The developer told the Los Angeles Times he doesn't know McMahon personally, but acted out of compassion because helping out "would be an honor."

McMahon, 85, who was Johnny Carson's sidekick on the "Tonight" show for three decades, has not worked for about 18 months because of a neck injury. He defaulted on $4.8 million in mortgage loans with Countrywide Financial Corp.

McMahon's spokesman, Howard Bragman, told The Associated Press that paperwork on the sale had not been completed but that McMahon was "very optimistic" the deal would go through.

"When I was at the Wharton School of Business I'd watch him every night," Trump told the Times. "How could this happen?"

McMahon bought the six-bedroom, five-bathroom, 7,000-square-foot house in January 1990. The home was listed at $4.6 million last weekend down from a peak price of $7 million.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3166435;
    Well this is interesting. I have been feeling sorry for Ed McMahon over this. Good on Donald Trump:

Trump to buy McMahon's home, let him live there - Yahoo! News

Trump to buy McMahon's home, let him live there

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) Donald Trump will soon be Ed McMahon's landlord.

Trump announced Thursday he would save the television personality's Beverly Hills mansion from foreclosure by buying it for an undisclosed amount and leasing it to McMahon.

The developer told the Los Angeles Times he doesn't know McMahon personally, but acted out of compassion because helping out "would be an honor."

McMahon, 85, who was Johnny Carson's sidekick on the "Tonight" show for three decades, has not worked for about 18 months because of a neck injury. He defaulted on $4.8 million in mortgage loans with Countrywide Financial Corp.

McMahon's spokesman, Howard Bragman, told The Associated Press that paperwork on the sale had not been completed but that McMahon was "very optimistic" the deal would go through.

"When I was at the Wharton School of Business I'd watch him every night," Trump told the Times. "How could this happen?"

McMahon bought the six-bedroom, five-bathroom, 7,000-square-foot house in January 1990. The home was listed at $4.6 million last weekend down from a peak price of $7 million.
    While a generous offer on the part of Trump....couldn't he find someone more deserving of that kind of helping hand than a man who had plenty of money and somehow frittered it all away?
    CYA

I was just coming here to post about Trump. Just when I thought he was a complete dirtbag, he does something really kind. Bunny, it's my understanding, that it's not Ed, but his wife who spent all his money and, by the time he realized what she had done, it was out of control. He also has had some huge medical bills to deal with. Unfortunately, with most show biz unions, unless you earn a certain amount in a year, you don't qualify for their health insurance. I'm not sure if that's the case with Mr. McMahon, but it might be. He's a big part of television history and I was saddened that no one had stepped in to help him.

Usually Trump only does things if he can make money from them so, even though this is certainly good p.r. for him, it's still a very nice thing to do for someone. Of course, it's a real estate investment too, but if Trump just wanted the property, he could have tossed McMahon out and sold it for a lot more than he's going to get from leasing the property back to him.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Trump's doing it for good P.R. Whether that totally negates any good intentions is up to your own individual judgment.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3166455;
    I was just coming here to post about Trump. Just when I thought he was a complete dirtbag, he does something really kind. Bunny, it's my understanding, that it's not Ed, but his wife who spent all his money and, by the time he realized what she had done, it was out of control. He also has had some huge medical bills to deal with. Unfortunately, with most show biz unions, unless you earn a certain amount in a year, you don't qualify for their health insurance. I'm not sure if that's the case with Mr. McMahon, but it might be. He's a big part of television history and I was saddened that no one had stepped in to help him.

Usually Trump only does things if he can make money from them so, even though this is certainly good p.r. for him, it's still a very nice thing to do for someone. Of course, it's a real estate investment too, but if Trump just wanted the property, he could have tossed McMahon out and sold it for a lot more than he's going to get from leasing the property back to him.
    I too had heard that about McMahon's wife spending all of his money but she is certainly capable of going out and earning a living if they are indeed penniless. There are so many people losing their homes who aren't as fortunate and unless someone steps in to help them, will fall by the wayside. Of course it's Trump's money to do with as wishes but I'd personally rather hear of him helping someone who is truely in need.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;3166439;
    While a generous offer on the part of Trump....couldn't he find someone more deserving of that kind of helping hand than a man who had plenty of money and somehow frittered it all away?

Yes, McMahon frittered it all away on things like doctors and medications...

I think it was a great thing for Trump to do.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

I also heard that Ed lives right down the road from Britney Spears and that, in and of itself, is one reason why no one wanted to buy his place. The paps are all over the place, all the time!

I heard on the news recently that there are other "rich and famous" who are also in danger of losing their homes. But Ed's troubles, from the wife to the health issues, to the related debts, etc., really made me feel sad for him. He is 85 years old; it's not like he can go out and make big bucks anymore. Here in NYS, he is on one of our Lotto commercials!

At least now, he can have some peace of mind.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I guess my feeling on the McMahon/Trump merger is this. Yes, Trump could've used that money to help needy families who never had the kind of resources Ed McMahon did, and didn't fritter their money away but just couldn't make ends meet no matter how much they worked. But ultimately it's Trump's money to do with as he wishes. As to whether it was just for publicity, who cares? He ended up helping another person and if he gets publicity for that, so be it.

I'm not a Trump fan and I don't care one way of the other for Ed McMahon. But I do find it irritating when people put down one person for helping others by asking, "Why didn't he help so and so instead?" This happens a lot with Oprah (who I'm actually not a fan of either, though I do appreciate some of the things she does). When she opened the school in Africa, she got a lot of flack from people who said she should've opened a school in the U.S. When Angelina adopted kids overseas, she got flack for not adopting a child from the U.S. Usually the people doing all the finger pointing are the ones who don't donate anything to anyone. Just 'cause none of us have the kind of money that Trump does doesn't mean that we can't help those in the U.S. (or anywhere) who are less fortunate than us.

I'm not aiming this post at anyone here 'cause I know we're a snarky bunch. It's more of my irritation from hearing deejays etc. talk about this stuff.

+ Reply to Thread