+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: The Dark Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3140567;
    The word is that it's verbal assault, not physical.
    And they complained about it to the police? Huh. If they are that sort of finger-pointing complainer I might be inclined to verbally assault them myself.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3140426;
    To show how stupid he is, McConaughey's "no deodorant" standpoint is based on ignorance too.

He's allegedly said that "he loves his natural smell".

Which, of course, makes him an idiot. Technically I suppose he's correct that bacteria are "natural" but he's fooling himself into thinking its his body's natural smell. The reason underarms stink is because bacteria quickly migrate to the moist area under your arms (which is another reason people with ongoing problems are supposed to shave the hair under there--the area dries quicker without hair).

If he doesn't like deodorants (because many of them smell almost as bad as the bacteria), and he doesn't like antiperspirants (that dry crackly feeling kind of sucks and a lot of people get rashes), this is one of the rare areas where homeopathic "cures" aren't quackery. Simple solution: Rock Salt. The science is really basic--it inhibits the growth of the bacteria, and along with frequent bathing, and trimming/removing the ol' underarm hair, insures you don't stink. Look it up, Mr. Natural Idiot McConaughey!
    Another old solution I've heard regarding people who do not like to wear deodorant.....diaper rash cream(although all creams are not created equal..you'd need a clear, non greasy one). Once you've bathed it does a great job of keeping you dry. I haven't tried it myself, but have heard others who swear by it, and the logic of it makes sense. It does do a great job of keeping baby dry after all. However, with all of the scentless, extra strength deodorants out there now you would think there would be enough choices for everyone.

As for the post regarding Janet Jackson and her bathing habits, the worst part of that is that Tyra thought it would be okay to ask such a personal question. Sad but the interviewer pushes and the star plays along or comes off looking standoffish, and the world gets tackier every day. While it was all in fun and did not offend me, I can see how it can be a case of TMI for some viewers. IMO that was more Tyra's foul than Janet's.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 07-22-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Geez! With that kind of attitude i'd verbally assault them too. And i love words so im dangerous.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3140633;
    And they complained about it to the police? Huh. If they are that sort of finger-pointing complainer I might be inclined to verbally assault them myself.
    Since the one thing the Mom and Sister HAVE stated to the press is that they didn't call the cops, its sounding an awful lot like the hotel management is the one who made the initial complaint, and only once the police took the participants to the police station did the rest of this come out. Dare I suggest, there might have been a little "do you want to file charges" suggestion made to them there after they spilled their side of the story? I mean, if it was suggested to them they were going to get in trouble for a public nuisance/disturbing the peace type charge otherwise, that's a bit of pressure which could have been applied.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3139808;
    What is with celebrities coming on shows and talking about their bathing habits? Janet Jackson told Tyra she still gives herself a "whore" bath once a week.
    OK, I'm so lame...but...what the heck is a "whore" bath?

About the anti-perspirant/deodorant issue...I don't use either and don't need it. (Truly!) I never used either when I competed in sports in h.s. or college either. My parents were the same way. So I suppose I could believe it if a celeb said he didn't use it and/or need it. I did have a friend who used that rock salt stick and he desperately needed something stronger to help with his odors!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Maybe she splashes and calls herself 'Nasty!'
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

LOL...if I remember the interview correctly, Tyra asked Janet how long she's ever gone without washing and Janet stated that she won't go without washing, but she would use the old sink and soapy cloth method and hit all of the most relevent spots when she was unable to take a shower. Janet's mom refered to those as "whore baths", I'm guessing because whores may need to bathe quickly and frequently this way.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;3141383;
    Maybe she splashes and calls herself 'Nasty!'

"It's Janet.... Ms. Jackson, if you're nasty!!"

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;3141581;
    LOL...if I remember the interview correctly, Tyra asked Janet how long she's ever gone without washing and Janet stated that she won't go without washing, but she would use the old sink and soapy cloth method and hit all of the most relevent spots when she was unable to take a shower. Janet's mom refered to those as "whore baths", I'm guessing because whores may need to bathe quickly and frequently this way.
    I knew an older woman who referred to it as a "PTA" bath....."pits, t*ts, and arse"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Golden Girls Star Estelle Getty Dies at 84
    By Stephen M. Silverman
    Originally posted Tuesday July 22, 2008 02:10 PM EDT
    Estelle Getty, who won an Emmy and a Golden Globe as the tart-tongued Sophia Petrillo mother of Bea Arthur's character on TV's The Golden Girls, has died. She was 84.

Getty's longtime manager, Alan Siegel, told PEOPLE on Tuesday: "As of 5:35 this morning, surrounded by her family in her Hollywood Hills home, Estelle Getty passed away peacefully in her sleep of natural causes. Her family and close friends thank everyone for being so loving and supportive of Estelle in her last few years."

For many years, Getty had suffered with Lewy's Body Dementia, which has been described as a type of Alzheimer's disease.

Also starring with Betty White and Rue McClanahan on the NBC sitcom, Getty's Sophia resulted in her receiving seven Emmy nominations, and a win in 1988. Equally winning were her well-delivered insults on the show. A typical Petrillo put-down: "I think there's a connection between your brain and wallpaper paste."

Daughter of Immigrants
    Specializing in playing "old" (Getty,only three years older than Arthur, was in her early 60s when she was cast as octogenarian Sophia), the future TV star was born Estelle Scher, the daughter of Polish immigrants, on New York's Lower East Side.

From age 5 "I wanted to be [movie queen] Claudette Colbert," Getty told PEOPLE in 1986.

Desperate for an acting career, Estelle took lessons then, in 1946, she took a husband: retail-glass businessman Arthur Gettleman, whose name she would later adapt as a stage professional. But first, she raised the Gettleman's two sons, Carl and Barry.

Eventually there were off-off Broadway roles, then Harvey Fierstein cast her as his overbearing mother in Torch Song Trilogy, which opened on Broadway in 1982. The spotlight from that show resulted in her landing the role of Sophia.

Arthur Gettleman died in 2004. Her sons survive her.

"She was loved throughout the world in six continents, and if they loved sitcoms in Antarctica she would have been loved on seven continents," Carl Gettleman told the Associated Press Tuesday. "She was one of the most talented comedic actresses who ever lived."

Funeral services will be private, said Siegel.
    Link
    I must say that Sophia's lines made The Golden Girls, and I hope the Estelle Getty rests in peace

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3141591;
    "It's Janet.... Ms. Jackson, if you're nasty!!"

I knew an older woman who referred to it as a "PTA" bath....."pits, t*ts, and arse"!
    LOL! That's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

+ Reply to Thread