+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5278Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;3077823;
    The more cynical side of me wonders if maybe she is having a hard time dealing with age. You know, when you reach your late 40's,
    give or take, and the mid section starts to take on a shape of it's own and no amout of diet or exercise can help.
    Then it becomes summer more often then not, IN JANUARY. And everyone else is asking to turn up the heat.
    Who told you the story of my life???

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3077350;
    Really, her whole last album is spectacular. She's a horrible junkie, and probably not the sharpest knife in the block, but its hard to deny her talent level. Which she is killing with drugs, smokes, disgusting husbands, and other bad habits.
    I agree with this. I was intrigued with Amy Winehouse before she started getting known in the states as a crackhead. Her last album revealed a special gem we haven't seen in music in very long time, and a lot of people got excited about the Soul Revival. So it's disappointing to see something so special burn out so fast.

Also, I have a minor proposal. Could we have an obituary thread for each year instead of all celebrity deaths getting stuffed away in the miscellaneous file? It would be interesting to scroll through a year and remember all those who passed.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3077350;
    Really, her whole last album is spectacular. She's a horrible junkie, and probably not the sharpest knife in the block, but its hard to deny her talent level. Which she is killing with drugs, smokes, disgusting husbands, and other bad habits.
    I noted in my comments that I don't deny her talent for an instant. But as I said, talent is not enough to keep a person famous - I know of several extremely talent singers who are not noticed on a regular basis on TMZ and other celebrity media outlets. I'm talking from a perspective of fame - not talent. To me, she's famous for being a junkie ... not for the great music she's put out there.

I, for one, never "got" what others thought about her. I don't enjoy her music. She is kind of gross to look at and listen to. (I used to think I was open-minded, but now realize that I'm not)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;3078186;
    I agree with this. I was intrigued with Amy Winehouse before she started getting known in the states as a crackhead. Her last album revealed a special gem we haven't seen in music in very long time, and a lot of people got excited about the Soul Revival. So it's disappointing to see something so special burn out so fast.

Also, I have a minor proposal. Could we have an obituary thread for each year instead of all celebrity deaths getting stuffed away in the miscellaneous file? It would be interesting to scroll through a year and remember all those who passed.
    Here's a site where you can do it by year or by name.

Dead People Server - Celebrities and Notable People Who Died in the Year 2008
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3078194;
    I noted in my comments that I don't deny her talent for an instant. But as I said, talent is not enough to keep a person famous - I know of several extremely talent singers who are not noticed on a regular basis on TMZ and other celebrity media outlets. I'm talking from a perspective of fame - not talent. To me, she's famous for being a junkie ... not for the great music she's put out there.
    It depends on how you define "fame".

She's a star because of her music. That came first. She was, at worst, only a mild drug user when she recorded and put out her last album, and even through the time of her initial big success with it, her screwed up life stayed completely in the background in the U.S. and only was prominently played up in the U.K. press. In other words, we got our impressions of her from her music first. She got all that MTV, VH1, and radio play first.

She became the tabloid equivalent of a superstar--an instant assurance of a cover story and people reading with morbid interest--because she went from a "normal" drug user to a junkie, and it happened right in front of people's eyes to the extent that the U.S. and international press started carrying the story too, because how could you deny it looking at her?

I guess I'm saying that "regular" fame was hers before she became eponymous with "junkie". Although ironically, yes, her descent into hell launched her to that next (disgusting) level of fame. As good as her album was, its hard to deny that the extra attention she got as a human wreck helped her get all those Grammys. It made the Grammy voters notice her, although to be fair to her, after they did it was probably the music that won most of them over enough to vote for her.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I searched but didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

(it probably was and i just don't know how to "search" properly so please forgive me if this has already been discussed elsewhere)

Sharon Osbourne: 'Reality TV Shows Are Train Wrecks'
    Is that why she quit X Factor?...

Wednesday 18th Jun 2008
    Sharon Osbourne: 'Reality TV Shows Are Train Wrecks'

Sharon Osbourne, who recently quit reality show X Factor, has hit out at the wave of talent shows, insisting they are “train wrecks”.

The former reality TV star is convinced television has taken a turn for the worse, despite her ongoing role as judge on hit U.S. series America's Got Talent, claiming newer shows have become havens for talentless celebrities.

Osbourne, who became a household name after appearing in fly-on-the-wall show The Osbournes, says: "They are all train wrecks.

“All it is now is a lot of lower-rung celebrities that they've turned into bad actors. None of it is real."

Sharon Osbourne: 'Reality TV Shows Are Train Wrecks' - Entertainment News, Movie Reviews, Competitions - Entertainmentwise

Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?

Do you think reality shows are getting worse and the Osbornes was of a higher caliber or whatever?
    If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares... why is there a song about him?

Sadly, another of my favorite character actors, Don S. Davis died last week of heart failure -- way too young at 65. I loved his instantly recognizable voice. Probably best known as General Hammond on Stargate: SG1, he did finish work on the latest SG1 DVD, Stargate: Continuum, which will be released on DVD shortly.

He has a long list of credits and worked with Richard Dean Anderson earlier on MacGyer as well as playing Agent Scully's father on X-Files.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Awww, I loved Don Davis since he was on Twin Peaks. 65 is too young to go.

Believe it or not, yes
    Everyone and his brother seems to have a reality show.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostgirl;3100984;

Do you think reality shows are getting worse and the Osbornes was of a higher caliber or whatever?
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread