+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I adore James Garner. He's perfect in "Murphy's Romance". One of my all-time guilty pleasures. I wish him all the best. I can't believe he's 80 though. He doesn't look a day over 60! "Just light the damn thing on fire" is a favorite birthday saying around here.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Boy their wedding definitely did not have any hype to it whatsoever. It's sad that they had to feed information to OK magazine. Not only was it a wedding, but a confirmation she's having a baby too? Sigh. Papa Joe really does have creep written all over him. What is he going to do now that Jessica's career is pretty much over and she's alone...again.

Well.... they did manage to sell exclusive photos to People magazine for 7 figures! And therefore, Papa Joe is able to use their site for major spin...

Jessica & Tony's Wedding Day PDA - Couples, Jessica Simpson, Tony Romo : People.com and yet, the truth comes out in their photo section...

Star Tracks - Monday, May 19, 2008 - ARRIVAL PARTY - Jessica Simpson : People.com I bet Papa Joe didn't plan on that!! If Jessica is really still with Tony, then why is she vacationing without him?? Riiiiight....

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Mom-to-be Jessica Alba and Cash Warren have gotten married, PEOPLE confirms.

The couple quietly wed Monday, says her rep, Brad Cafarelli.

According to a source, they were married in the Beverly Hills courthouse's ceremony room under an arch of green silk foliage and white flowers. They were casually dressed, with Alba wearing a long blue dress and her hair back in a ponytail.

"She looked happy but nervous," the source says.

Warren, in a white shirt and brown pants, arrived with Alba at about 11:30 a.m. on Monday, applied for a marriage license and waited about 40 minutes for the paperwork to be processed before a staff member from the courthouse married them, the source says.

Nobody else attended the wedding, the source adds.

Alba, 27, is expecting a daughter with Warren, 31, this summer. The couple met while filming Fantastic Four and were engaged last December.

After confirming her pregnancy, Alba said she's been in "frantic nesting mode," taking time off from acting to get the house ready for the baby.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Is anyone following the Denise Richards publicity debacle this week? She appeared on Larry King on Monday nite and then again on the Today show with Matt Lauer. She just came off terribly and danced around the hard questions. She really would have been better off never doing the reality show and the publicity tour. She appears now more than ever a gold-digging, vindictive, hateful woman. I think Charlie Sheen will garner much more public support thru this... (I know, who would have ever thought????)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i still can't believe she actually thought one of the biggest playboys in hollywood was going to change once she married him. what a moron.

she's so incredibly beautiful though ... i saw part of her interview on larry king and WOW

Ooops!! I forgot to add the link - Denise -- Not Diving for Sheen's Swimmers - TMZ.com

And I guess I was correct in assuming America would be with me in believing Charlie... These are the results of the online poll as of now -

Who do you believe?
    Charlie 74%
    Denise 26%
    Total Votes: 21,015

Quote Originally Posted by Margaritaville;3013449;
    I think Charlie Sheen will garner much more public support thru this... (I know, who would have ever thought????)
    I posted this in April of 2006:

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;1881934;
    I think I'm going to take her accusations with a grain of salt and not jump on the abusive husband bandwagon quite yet. It may be true, but I prefer to think of people as being innocent until proven guilty.
    So apparently not everyone took it as a given that he was the major problem in their marriage.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

'Laugh-In' comic Dick Martin dead at 86 - CNN.com

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

"He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago," Greenberg said.

Martin had lost the use of one of his lungs as a teenager, and needed supplemental oxygen for most of the day in his later years.

He was surrounded by family and friends when he died just after 6 p.m., Greenberg said.

"Laugh-in," which debuted in January 1968, was unlike any comedy-variety show before it. Rather than relying on a series of tightly scripted song-and-dance segments, it offered up a steady, almost stream-of-consciousness run of non-sequitur jokes, political satire and madhouse antics from a cast of talented young actors and comedians that also included Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Henry Gibson, Jo Anne Worley and announcer Gary Owens.

Presiding over it all were Rowan and Martin, the veteran nightclub comics whose standup banter put their own distinct spin on the show.

Like all straight men, Rowan provided the voice of reason, striving to correct his partner's absurdities. Martin, meanwhile, was full of bogus, often risque theories about life, which he appeared to hold with unwavering certainty.

Against this backdrop, audiences were taken from scene to scene by quick, sometimes psychedelic-looking visual cuts, where they might see Hawn, Worley and other women dancing in bathing suits with political slogans, or sometimes just nonsense, painted on their bodies. Other times, Gibson, clutching a flower, would recite nonsensical poetry or Johnson would impersonate a comical Nazi spy.

"Laugh-In" astounded audiences and critics alike. For two years, the show topped the Nielsen ratings, and its catchphrases-- "Sock it to me," "You bet your sweet bippy" and "Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall's" -- were recited across the country.

Stars such as John Wayne and Kirk Douglas were delighted to make brief appearances, and even Richard Nixon, running for president in 1968, dropped in to shout a befuddled sounding, "Sock it to me!" His opponent, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, was offered equal time but declined because his handlers thought it would appear undignified.

Rowan and Martin landed the show just as their comedy partnership was approaching its zenith and the nation's counterculture was expanding into the mainstream.

The two were both struggling actors when they met in 1952. Rowan had sold his interest in a used car dealership to take acting lessons, and Martin, who had written gags for TV shows and comedians, was tending bar in Los Angeles to pay the rent.

Rowan, hearing Martin was looking for a comedy partner, visited him at the bar, where he found him eating a banana.

"Why are you eating a banana?" he asked.

"If you've ever eaten here, you'd know what's with the banana," he replied, and a comedy team was born.

Although their early gigs in Los Angeles' San Fernando Valley were often performed gratis, they donned tuxedos for them and put on an air of success.

"We were raw," Martin recalled years later, "but we looked good together and we were funny."

They gradually worked up to the top night spots in New York, Miami and Las Vegas and began to appear regularly on television.

In 1966, they provided the summer replacement for "The Dean Martin Show." Within two years, they were headlining their own show.

The novelty of "Laugh-In" diminished with each season, however, and as major players such as Hawn and Tomlin moved on to bigger careers, interest in the series faded.

After the show folded in 1973, Rowan and Martin capitalized on their fame with a series of high-paid engagements around the country. They parted amicably in 1977.

"Dan has diabetes, and his doctor advised him to cool it," Martin told The Associated Press at the time.

Rowan, a sailing enthusiast, spent his last years touring the canals of Europe on a houseboat. He died in 1987.

Martin moved onto the game-show circuit, but quickly tired of it. After he complained about the lack of challenges in his career, fellow comic Bob Newhart's agent suggested he take up directing.

He was reluctant at first, but after observing on "The Bob Newhart Show," he decided to try. He would recall later that it was "like being thrown into the deep end of the swimming pool and being told to sink or swim."

Soon he was one of the industry's busiest TV directors, working on numerous episodes of "Newhart" as well as such shows as "In the Heat of the Night," "Archie Bunker's Place" and "Family Ties."

Born into a middle-class family in Battle Creek, Mich., Martin had worked in a Ford auto assembly plant after high school.

After an early failed marriage, he was, for years, a confirmed bachelor. He finally settled down in middle age, marrying Dolly Read, a former bunny at the Playboy Club in London. Survivors include his wife and two sons, actor Richard Martin and Cary Martin.

At Martin's request, there will be no funeral, Greenberg said.

Martin lost the use of his right lung when he was 17, something that never bothered him until his final years, when he required oxygen 18 hours a day.

Arriving for a party celebrating his 80th birthday, he fainted and was treated by doctors and paramedics. The party continued, however, and he cracked, "Boy, did I make an entrance!"
    this is so sad ... i just rented a couple of laugh-in dvds from netflix and laughed my behind off at him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am old enough to remember watching Rowan & Martin as a kid - sitting right in front of that black & white TV, moving the "bunny rabbit" ears around to reduce the "snow" & manually clicking those 4 or 5 channels we had to choose from.

Oh yeah, and the TV went off the air around midnite during the week & at 11 p.m. on Sunday nites. Anyone out there remember that?

+ Reply to Thread