+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344841345341034 ... LastLast
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee View Post
    The news about Keisha dissapoints me.
    I'm disappointed in her family....a 17 year old boyfriend when she was 14? What was he, a pedophile? How mature a 17 year old could he be to be interested in her, no matter how "mature" she was? And they let it go on. And, speaking of locking in the money, now he's got his hooks into her permanently. Yes, 3 years is no biggie when you are adult, but at 13/16, 14/17... ick.

Fort Member
    Keisha is Maori. Their culture and upbringing is completely different to others and it is likely that her family are happy for her and feel blessed.
    I dont think it right to judge her family or her boyfriend when our culture is so different

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    Keisha is Maori. Their culture and upbringing is completely different to others and it is likely that her family are happy for her and feel blessed.
    I dont think it right to judge her family or her boyfriend when our culture is so different
    You make a very good point. American standards are not universal. Sometimes, we forget.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    You make a very good point. American standards are not universal. Sometimes, we forget.
    Actually, when I was 14 many, many years ago, I had absolutely no interest in boys my age, but boys of about 16 or 17 were more likely to be at the same emotional and intellectual level that I was at. It's not actually paedophilia to have an interest in someone in their teenage years, though the older the interested person gets, the more pathetic and nauseating it is (ie. Bill Wyman and his 20 +/- year old wife). Both these people are of highschool age and it really isn't that big a difference.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    Didn't sound too happy with him, when they refused to allow him to go to the awards show. I don't care what culture they are, I highly doubt that they are rejoicing that their sixteen year old is going to be a mother

Wouldn't we expect the guy to be brought up on statutory rape charges? That's what happened to that penniless guy who got his young girlfriend pregnant, and I think, married her. Isn't he serving time for it?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Didn't sound too happy with him, when they refused to allow him to go to the awards show. I don't care what culture they are, I highly doubt that they are rejoicing that their sixteen year old is going to be a mother

Wouldn't we expect the guy to be brought up on statutory rape charges? That's what happened to that penniless guy who got his young girlfriend pregnant, and I think, married her. Isn't he serving time for it?
    Maybe the laws are different in Australia?
    She's been a movie star for several years now...doubt that she or her family are still totally immersed in Maori culture (not that I know they were before, for that matter).
    To put the age thing another way...your junior high daughter is dating a high school junior.... The fact that the "older man" has glamour and interest for the 14 year old explains her interest, but it doesn't make it a good thing--just makes her more vulnerable in dealing with him, more afraid of losing him, and more likely to give in on issues like sex w/o effective contraception. Speaking in general terms here, no idea what any of these real people are like as people.
    ETA But, yes, I did see that her parents clearly aren't all that happy about this for one reason or another--good for them--but with a baby on the way they don't have a lot of choices now.

The age of consent in most of Australia is 16 so this wouldn't be considered statutory rape.

I don't understand the disgust for the three year gap in ages. They are 16 and 19 and, looking at kids that age these days, there's not that big of a gap mentally or emotionally. I can understand not wanting to choose that for yourself or your child, but the out and out disgust is a little strong and puzzling. Plus, this girl has definitely been raised in the Maori culture, as I remember quite a few of the interviews that she gave when Whale Rider was released, and she came across as quite an amazingly mature woman.

I'd have more *disgust* for 17-18 year olds like Lindsay Lohan, Hilary Duff, et al dating the men 10-15 years older than them, but even then that would be an awfully strong emotion for people that I don't know.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Broadway, I was talking about when he started going with her. She was fourteen and he was seventeen. To me, that's a big age difference when one of them is such a young teenager.

I didn't say anything about disgust, but I do have to wonder what her mother was thinking, to allow the relationship, at that age.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Broadway, I was talking about when he started going with her. She was fourteen and he was seventeen. To me, that's a big age difference when one of them is such a young teenager.

I didn't say anything about disgust, but I do have to wonder what her mother was thinking, to allow the relationship, at that age.
    I'm with you, Muduh, the point is the age when things started up between them. Not that I think 16 and 19 is a great combo either... doesn't speak well of the maturity of the 19 year old-- and I know a lot of them, male and female; the guys are by no means universally emotionally 16 year olds!
    Re her mom tho, it does sound like the parents did what they could, to be fair, but my guess is they got swept aside in the Hollywood hype (whatever the Australian equivalent is).
    Frankly to me, one sign that she is NOT all that amazingly mature is that she is pregnant at 16...or maybe 15 when it started, who knows. That does not bespeak a young woman in control of her life to me, but rather a girl swept up by an "older man'.
    I'm sure this one girl will be ok in the end, ditto her child--she has a talent she can fall back on if she doesn't also get swept up into drugs, etc. Who knows, the guy may be a great guy, not someone who wants to ride her coattails as it is easy to assume. Any individual situation can be a feasible one.
    So the "disgust' is more for the concept...young girls being preyed upon by older guys...most girls (and I use the term advisedly) are not impregnated by their peers, but by older guys. The young pregnant teen rarely has a same age partner. It speaks to power differentials in the relationship. And to the patheticness (sp?) of the older guy who can't find a peer to partner with, but rather has to find a child to push around.
    Three years is nothing at all to adults, but we aren't talking 2 adults here--at 14 and 17.
    OK, rant over, but I see this a lot.
    Last edited by PWS; 10-14-2006 at 01:07 AM.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    She's also the main bread winner since she's an actress. I wouldn't put it beyond him to be with her for financial interest.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread