+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4741Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Probably right...probably people with more money than him.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2949121;
    He also filed fraudulent returns (he was acquitted of those charges, inexplicably) claiming much less income than he actually made. THEN, he signed those returns. I'm completely shocked that those charges didn't stick. I don't care who you hire to prepare your return, if you sign your name to it, you should at least give it a little once-over since it's a document you're submitting to the Federal government. If there's oh, say, ten million less on the return, he probably would have noticed, don't you think?

I read an article today that said he will serve at least 2.5 years and that's if he gets time off for good behavior. The thing that pisses me off is that you just know some people in Hollywood are going to turn him into a d@mn martyr over this.
    Well, thanks to celebrities like Martha Stewart and Paris Hilton, it has become almost fashionable (or at the very least a good spin) to have a stint in jail. Part of me doubts that Wesley Snipes will actually benefit in any form from this but I guess time will tell.

SNL Star Cheri Oteri's Dad Murdered

By Ulrica Wihlborg

Originally posted Monday April 28, 2008 03:00 PM EDT

The father of former SNL cast member Cheri Oteri was stabbed to death on Saturday in Nashville, Tenn.

Authorities have arrested and charged country songwriter Richard Fagan, 61, with criminal homicide in the death of Gaetano Thomas Oteri, 69, the Associated Press reports.

Oteri, known as "Tom," was Fagan's roommate as well as his longtime music associate and publisher. According to the local NewsChannel 5, the incident took place at Fagan's home in South Nashville on Saturday night.

The Tennessean newspaper reports that Fagan was arrested Saturday night for a DUI. The songwriter told police that a fight had occurred around 9 p.m. between the two men, and that Fagan used a Colt pocket knife to cut Oteri across his body before leaving the scene, according to affidavits. Oteri's body was discovered by a friend on Sunday afternoon.

Fagan wrote the No. 1 songs "Be My Baby Tonight" and "Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident)" for John Michael Montgomery.

Authorities have said that said Cheri Oteri, who most recently filmed a role in the Jessica Simpson movie Major Movie Star, is aware of her father's death. A rep for Oteri had no comment.
    Link to article here

My heart goes out to her and her family at this time of tragedy.

This Miley Cyrus thing is sure being blown up IMO. The girl had some great pics, Dad, Mom and Grandma and Auntie were there. The very last shot was a little different; Miley though it was cool, but only after the media picked it out and caused a kerfuffle has Miley gone back saying she didn't think it would look that racy and sexy. Good grief.

I love Annie Liebovitz and I don't think she took a horribly sexist photo. It's a great photo; maybe just not the one that should have gotten into the magazine. Annie is standing by her photo and had permission to take it.
    ------------
    I'm glad Wesley Snipes is going to jail. He deserves it.

Very Sad to hear about Cheri Oteri's dad being murdered.

It's a great opportunity for Myley to learn that things don't always come out as you planned, and an even better opportunity for Myleys Dad, Mom, Grandma and Auntie, to be more vigilent at these events and get involved rather than excited by whats going on. We dont' need any more photos of 15yr olds looking like sex kittens.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

The thing that bothers me so much about the Miley photos is that she was even allowed (by her parents) to pose in such a manner. I love Annie Liebovitz as a photographer and have no issue with her - but I just don't think a 15 year old girl should be posing to appear nude. I realize she had clothes on - that isn't the point. I think the $$ and fame cloud parents' judgement alot of the time -- just look at the Lohan clan. I hope it is a lesson learned.

There are plenty of pictures on the Vanity Fair site showing Miley on the set smiling while wearing that sheet....with her mother standing off set. Both her mother and father were at that shoot. If they had a problem, they should have voiced it then. They should be ashamed of themselves trying to make Annie Liebovitz look like some Playboy photographer. She didn't force Miley into anything and, of she had, her parents were right there to stop it Maybe they just weren't thinking about what Disney would say and are now trying to cover their butts. She should be more embarrassed about all those "sexy" photos she took with friends and put up on facebook or myspace or whatever than pictures taken by one of the most (if not THE most) famous celebrity photographers in the world.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I think that this whole thing is a case of showbusiness miscalculating by the Cyrus family. In order to make the leap from teen star to grown up, most girls in Miley's position at some point have to make a "I'm a grown up now" statement artistically. For some, it may be a serious photo shoot like this, for others a movie that is a dramatically different role (such as Natalie Portman going nearly nude for Closer). For others, its in their private life behavior (such as Lindsay Lohan saying I'm grown up now - see, I get drunk) It can be done in different ways, but a dramatic statement like that has to be made to tell America I'm no longer the teen you have always known me as.

I have a feeling that Miley had the opportunity to do this photo shoot for the Vanity Fair cover, and they took it thinking it would be that statement for her. She's got a chance to be treated as a real musical performer right now, and they wanted to take it. HOwever, that statement can't be made until the star is ready to completely remove herself from teen stardom, and be seen as an adult. They jumped the gun with her, and once they realized that (probably to some degree via Disney's reaction) it as too late to take it back. So rather than admitting they screwed up, they try to pretend their way through the "we were tricked" story. The bigger problem for them is that now, when Miley really is ready to make her "I'm grown up now" statement, she's blown her opportunity to make it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

The parents/guardians are definitely the ones to blame. Even if Miley wanted to pose semi-topless, they should've said it's inappropriate for a child and nipped it in the bud right there. However, I don't think Liebowitz should be off the hook either. Why was she posing a child like that? Yes, I know other child stars have posed provocatively (Brooke Shields comes to mind), but I just don't think it's appropriate to have a young teen pose that way. The picture of Miley with her father--that was an odd photo, too. Just my opinion.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Maybe I'm jaded or something but I really don't see the big deal in Miley's photos.... They were done in good taste, they are not sexual (IMO)....You see more skin out there on the beach nowadays.....I agree with you Critical

There are plenty of pictures on the Vanity Fair site showing Miley on the set smiling while wearing that sheet....with her mother standing off set. Both her mother and father were at that shoot. If they had a problem, they should have voiced it then. They should be ashamed of themselves trying to make Annie Liebovitz look like some Playboy photographer. She didn't force Miley into anything and, of she had, her parents were right there to stop it Maybe they just weren't thinking about what Disney would say and are now trying to cover their butts. She should be more embarrassed about all those "sexy" photos she took with friends and put up on facebook or myspace or whatever than pictures taken by one of the most (if not THE most) famous celebrity photographers in the world.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Leo
    Premium Member

I personally think this isn't such a big deal, but then again putting a 15-year-old in that position was not the smartest of ideas either. Annie Liebovitz and VF should have had more sense than to do these kinds of photos with someone Miley's age; the family should have known something like this was possible with Ms. Liebovitz's... reputation.

It seems to me that everyone, everyone, in this situation, has been an idiot.

+ Reply to Thread