Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

NOT that long ago, BoboFan posted the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBoFan;2793389;
    E! News - Gary Coleman, Married Man - Gary Coleman

Gary Coleman, Married Man
    By Joal Ryan
    Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:18:25 AM PST

Gary Coleman once vowed he'd never get married. Well, what do 13-year-olds know?

The 40-year-old former child star has revealed to Inside Edition that he's been married since last summer to a woman who was barely alive when he starred in Diff'rent Strokes.

Coleman and Shannon Price exchanged vows on the occasion of her 22nd birthday last Aug. 28, on a Nevada mountaintop, the TV tabloid show reported Tuesday.

"Nobody was around but the minister, the preacher, the videographers, the photographer, the helicopter pilot and us," Coleman said of the intimate ceremony.

Coleman and Price kept their marriage under wraps for more than five months, they both said, because they didn't want his fame to overwhelm her name. According to the proud groom, Price is a "fabulous eBayer."

"I hope she gets famous for that," Coleman said.

It was Price apparently who brokered the auction of Coleman's sweatpants, which sold for $500 to late-night host Jimmy Kimmel last month after a headline-worthy bid of $400,000 fell through. The pair is currently hawking, among other items, a "3000% authentic," autographed Coleman glossy. (Bidding starts at $25.)

Other tidbits as revealed by Coleman and Price:

The couple met on the set of Church Ball, a 2006 spoof comedy that starred Coleman.
    She proposed.
    She stands about a foot taller than he, but "he was ten feet tall to me because he was sweet."
    He has a temper, "throws things around"—sometimes at Price, and heaved a printer, direction unknown, on the day of the TV interview.
    "I don't like the violence, I really don't," Price said. "He's got to damage something before his anger stops."

Price told the show she's called the police on Coleman, and that the police, in turn, have ticketed him for disorderly conduct.

Coleman most infamously was arrested in 1998 for punching an autograph seeker who accused him of being washed up.

Marriage has changed Coleman in at least one way: Once a self-professed virgin, who at a curmudgeonly 13 declared that if his mother ever wanted grandchildren, "I'll adopt one, because I'm never getting married," the actor now finds himself in his first "romantic relationship."

"I wasn't saving myself," Coleman said. "She just happened to be the one."

Coleman's eight-year, star-making run on Diff'rent Strokes ended in 1986, when Price was about one.
    And already, the sham is over.

And its turned into ANOTHER publicity stunt for Coleman.

Gary Coleman Getting Divorced | Hollyscoop

Gary Coleman Getting Divorced

We were really pulling for these two to make it! Gary Coleman has only been married to his wife Shannon Price for eight months, and they're going on Divorce Court to end it. Gary opted to go on national television rather than settling in normal people's court because he's apparently a big fan of the show.

Shannon says the reason she wants a divorce is because all Gary wants to do is play with his train sets and video games instead of going out with her.

You know the real reason is that she's dying from embarrassment after Gary tried to sell his worn Old Navy khakis on eBay, and that was the last straw. Should make for a fun episode of Divorce Court though!
    Yes, that's "Divorce Court". The sleazy daytime show.

Then, there's also Star Jones. Another "bad idea" marriage ended...

Star Jones Files For Divorce | Hollyscoop

Star Jones Files For Divorce

Finally the fake relationship between Star Jones and Al Reynolds is coming to an end. Star has filed for divorce from Al after three and a half years together. We totally saw this coming. Once a fat girl gets skinny, she doesn't need her man anymore! Plus Star just got fired from her CourtTV job, so she's probably feeling extra feisty. Here's the statement Star released:

"Several years ago I made an error in judgment by inviting the media into the most intimate area of my life. A month ago I filed for divorce. The dissolution of a marriage is a difficult time in anyone's life that requires privacy with one's thoughts. I have committed myself to handling this situation with dignity and grace and look forward to emerging from this period as a stronger and wiser woman."

Sounds like one big publicity stunt!
    Last edited by Krom; 04-24-2008 at 08:00 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Judge sentences Snipes to 3 years for tax convictions

I'm glad. These celebrities that think they are above the law sicken me.
    Yahoo! Movies: Movie News -
    Judge sentences Snipes to 3 years for tax convictions
    Thursday April 24 6:04 PM ET

Wesley Snipes was sentenced to three years in prison on tax charges Thursday, a victory for prosecutors who sought to make an example of the action star by aggressively pursuing the maximum penalty.

Snipes' lawyers had spent much of the day in court offering dozens of letters from family members, friends even fellow actors Woody Harrelson and Denzel Washington attesting to the good character of the "Blade" star and asking for leniency. They argued he should get only probation because his three convictions were all misdemeanors and the actor had no previous criminal record.

But U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges said Snipes exhibited a "history of contempt over a period of time" for U.S. tax laws, and granted prosecutors the three year sentence they requested one year for each of Snipes' convictions of willfully failing to file a tax return.

"In my mind these are serious crimes, albeit misdemeanors," Hodges said.

Snipes apologized while reading from a written statement for his "costly mistakes," but never mentioned the word taxes.

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said.

Snipes said his wealth and celebrity attracted "wolves and jackals like flies are attracted to meat." He called himself "well-intentioned, but miseducated."

Snipes was the highest-profile criminal tax target in years, and prosecutors called for a heavy sentence to deter others from trying to obstruct the IRS. The government alleged Snipes made at least $13.8 million for the years in question and owed $2.7 million in back taxes.

Snipes was acquitted in February of five additional charges, including felony tax fraud and conspiracy. Snipes' co-defendants, Douglas P. Rosile and Eddie Ray Kahn, were convicted on both those counts. Kahn, who refused to defend himself in court, was sentenced to 10 years, while Rosile received 54 months. Both will serve three years of supervised release. Snipes will serve one year of supervised release.

Snipes and Rosile remain free and will be notified when they are to surrender to authorities.

Kahn was the founder of American Rights Litigators, and a successor group, Guiding Light of God Ministries, that purported to help members legally avoid paying taxes. Rosile, a former accountant who lost his licenses in Ohio and Florida, prepared Snipes' paperwork.

Snipes maintained in a years-long battle with the IRS he did not have to pay taxes, using fringe arguments common to "tax protesters" who say the government has no legal right to collect. After joining Kahn's group, the government said Snipes instructed his employees to stop paying their own taxes and sought $11 million in 1996 and 1997 taxes he legally paid.

Prosecutors sought to justify the maximum sentence by raising those and other details from the IRS investigation, as well as a tax loss even for years in which Snipes was acquitted of failing to file a return. Such "relevant conduct" is allowed by law for a judge's consideration at sentencing.

Criminal tax prosecutions are relatively rare usually the cases are handled in civil court, where the government has a lower burden of proof. Prosecutors said Snipes' case was important to send a message to would-be tax protesters not to test the government.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Judge sentences Snipes to 3 years for tax convictions

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2946107;
    I'm glad. These celebrities that think they are above the law sicken me.
    i agree!
    you ever wonder how our national budget would be affected if everyone that SHOULD have been paying their taxes WERE??

Can you imagine if tax brackets were fair too and representative of what a person actually earns instead of all the breaks that those who earn more get, while those who earn signficantly less often have far fewer benefits and breaks?! I find that to be so ridiculously unfair.

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said.
    Is he serious? "the science of law and finance????" Hey, here's all the science you need to know: pay your taxes, you dirtbag! I won't be surprised if his sentence gets reduced somehow, but for now, I'm really happy the judge didn't let him off the hook. From what I've read about this case, he hired people who are well-known for helping people evade paying their taxes. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2946443;
    Hey, here's all the science you need to know: pay your taxes, you dirtbag!
    Amen to that, Crit. Too many people think they are above the law and it is about damn time they get put in their place.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2946443;
    Is he serious? "the science of law and finance????" Hey, here's all the science you need to know: pay your taxes, you dirtbag! I won't be surprised if his sentence gets reduced somehow, but for now, I'm really happy the judge didn't let him off the hook. From what I've read about this case, he hired people who are well-known for helping people evade paying their taxes. He knew exactly what he was doing.
    Call me crazy, but I have always filed and paid my taxes - with no knowledge of the "science of law and finance". Arrogant @ss. I hope he has to serve the maximum time.

The pure fact that he thought it was ok to not file a return and NOT pay taxes just shows how deluded he was.
    He's a looney who is now going to become someone's bitch !

Hey Wesley, let us know when you and Bubba register your china pattern, lol!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Personally, I'd like to see some of our politicians and ritzy higher-ups get the same treatment.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;2947169;
    The pure fact that he thought it was ok to not file a return and NOT pay taxes just shows how deluded he was.
    He's a looney who is now going to become someone's bitch !

Hey Wesley, let us know when you and Bubba register your china pattern, lol!!
    He also filed fraudulent returns (he was acquitted of those charges, inexplicably) claiming much less income than he actually made. THEN, he signed those returns. I'm completely shocked that those charges didn't stick. I don't care who you hire to prepare your return, if you sign your name to it, you should at least give it a little once-over since it's a document you're submitting to the Federal government. If there's oh, say, ten million less on the return, he probably would have noticed, don't you think?

I read an article today that said he will serve at least 2.5 years and that's if he gets time off for good behavior. The thing that pisses me off is that you just know some people in Hollywood are going to turn him into a d@mn martyr over this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread