+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4946Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

He is a great actor and dancer, and I feel bad for anyone who has to deal with this disease. It definitely was shocking to read and I can't even imagine what his family is going through.

It's interesting how no article mentions North and South, even if Dirty Dancing was his big breakthrough I wouldn't underestimate N&S.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I loved North & South femme!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've always disagreed with doctors putting as estimated time of demise on people's prognoses. Don't they get that people and their loved ones, basically, keep looking at a calendar expecting the bomb to explode exactly when the docs have predicted? If you tell them, "Momma has 6 weeks," they are counting the days....and so many people are like that. Very uncool.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Seems unethical to do that.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Actually I disagree. It someone is terminal, the doctors give them a "time frame" and they are careful to tell you that they don't know exactly either. But I think it helps the person and their family to make arrangements, take care of business, spend quality time together, etc.

And some cancers like pancreatic are very, very short time frames. Other's they don't know and just make an educated guess. But some forms of cancer have been studied so long that they can pretty much place it within a certain period of time.
    They told my mom that her thyroid cancer time frame was anywhere from 3-6 months. She made it just over 3 months, but it helped us make plans, prepare, spend time together, etc.
    And I know people that lived a lot longer than the "time frame".

I would hope that most doctors that impart this kind of news do it like they did to my mom and tell us it could happen within a several month period, but that they didn't know for sure and dont' just say: 3 months, or 5 weeks or 1 year.

I agree that a lot of family's and people will watch the calender. But personally, I'd like to know a time frame myself as I'd like to do as much as possible to get ready.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2827432;
    I've always disagreed with doctors putting as estimated time of demise on people's prognoses. Don't they get that people and their loved ones, basically, keep looking at a calendar expecting the bomb to explode exactly when the docs have predicted? If you tell them, "Momma has 6 weeks," they are counting the days....and so many people are like that. Very uncool.
    when my mom came home from the hospital for in-home hospice care, they said she would most likely have 3-6 months. she died 3 days later.

but then there's others that you think are going to pass, but their condition improves dramatically and they're still around a few years later.

it's just impossible for doctors to know ... they can make their most educated guess, but that's about it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wonder what they told Tony Snow? He started out with pancreatic cancer.

Personally, I'm not hugely interested in their "educated guess". The person will go when they go. I can't tell you how frequently I've seen people die right after they've had a "perfect check-up." It happens when it does.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I found this out tonight on ABC news and wow. They said they are optimistic because he has a small amount of it and is responding well to treatment. I love Swayze and my heart and thoughts go out to him.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I was shocked when I read about Swayze. He was my first pre-teen celebrity crush. My first poster hanging up in my room. My first movie at the cineplex without the parents. I hope he is among the elite 5% that kicks this. I've always loved his SNL skit with Chris Farley where he's a Chippendale's dancer. But I'd rather keep on loving it as he lives to a ripe old age. I know everyone has to die. But not yet, not yet. I hung his poster up on my ceiling when Johnny Depp and Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix started littering my walls. His death will be an enormous loss for my inner child.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

I was so saddened after hearing this. My uncle died from pancreatic cancer just two weeks ago. He was diagnosed in October. His mother (my grandmother) died of the same disease at the same age as he was when he died (58).She died within 6 months of her diagnosis. Twenty years after that disease first touched my family, not much has changed.

Sadly, it is a tough disease to beat. Over 95% of people do not beat it. That rare 5% or so usually don't last past 5 years. It is the rarest of people who beat it for longer than that. I am praying that Patrick is one of those people.

Currently they are testing my mom to try to catch any early signs. She was invited to be a part of a study, and I want her to participate. There has been a gene that they've identified in some of these patients to see if it is hereditary in their cases. God, I pray everyday that my family doesn't fall into this group, even if lightening has struck twice.

It is a quick(for the family, not for the suffering patient), painful death. I watched both my relatives beg for it to just end. Hoping that someone like Patrick can give so many hope that they can beat it. I really want to see him beat the hell out of this mighty disease. From what I hear in many cases when they catch it early enough the pancreas is removed. My fear is that if they have not done this with him it may be further advanced than they want the public to know.

God bless him and his wife. I admire any couple who can stay together for 32 years, especially when the women must have been throwing themselves at him. He's a beautiful and talented man.

Bbnbama,my condolences to you on the loss of your father to this disease. I hope they find a cure, or at the very least a way to detect this thing early, very soon.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 03-07-2008 at 07:35 AM.

+ Reply to Thread