+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5244Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

How many celebs have to be in rehab at the same time before it's identified as a networking opportunity? It is starting to appear that there are only two things for actors to do during the writers strike -- get pregnant or go to rehab.
    Last edited by Veruka; 02-07-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2786237;
    How many celebs have to be in rehab at the same time before it's identified as a networking opportunity? It is starting to appear that there are only two things for actors to do during the writers strike -- get pregnant or go to rehab.
    The strike IS a big factor in this. Many of them have nothing to do but either party or think. And both of those can be dangerous activities.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm of the same thought of those who wondered if there might have been a little clean-up of pharmaceuticals before EMS arrived. Has it been said if there was a bottle (or at least matching pills laying about) for each of the drugs found in Heath's system?

Regarding the rush of entertainers checking into rehab after Heath's death, on the one hand we complain when they don't seek help. Then when someone dies we say "let it be a wake-up call to the rest of them..." So maybe many of these people are entering rehab because of what happened to him and they did in fact get their wake-up call to straighten up. Or am I being naive, and all this really is just publicity? At least for some of them I hope it's a genuine effort to get well.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2786237;
    ....It is starting to appear that there are only two things for actors to do during the writers strike -- get pregnant or go to rehab.
    Add 'checking yourself into a psych hospital' to that list, also.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2786371;
    Regarding the rush of entertainers checking into rehab after Heath's death, ........
    So maybe many of these people are entering rehab because of what happened to him and they did in fact get their wake-up call to straighten up. Or am I being naive, and all this really is just publicity? At least for some of them I hope it's a genuine effort to get well.
    There's been a steady stream of celebs checking in and out of 'rehab' for a couple of years now, always accompanied by a lovely self-serving press release letting people know they've checked themselves in. This isn't anything new at all since Ledger's death. And I imagine one or two celebs check into rehab with a sincere wish to help themselves with a real problem. But for those who do it in a very publicized manner, I have to wonder if they're not also taking advantage of what's become an all-too common tool in the celeb PR Toolkit -- the benefit of getting a lot of publicity and media attention when you publicize your rehab stint.

It's hard to believe they're all sincere when the 'rehab' stint is accompanied by press releases prior to or on checking in (announced by either the celeb/their manager/their 'rep'/or a 'source close to the actor or actress'), followed by many appearances on talk shows after getting out, and the stories of so many of the 'rehab' centers being nothing more than private spas to enjoy a short vacation uninterrupted by the paparrazi. Then we see pictures of so many of the celebs who are in 'rehab' using the rehab center's front door as a revolving door, with them coming and going as they please, in spite of the centers' 'official policy' of not allowing their 'patients' to leave the grounds while staying there for treatment. And at any given time, you'll see more than one celeb at the same facility. And then after checking out, we see videos and pictures of them out and about doing the party circuit within just a few days. It's just very hard to believe in the sincerity of these types of celebs.
    Last edited by Nemeses; 02-07-2008 at 09:07 PM.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I honestly don't care if they checked into rehab because it's the "thing to do" or if they finally got it that their life could be in danger or headed to an early grave. I'm just glad that these artists are checking in and trying to get some help before their family and friends are attending their funerals.

I'm sad to see how so many people, famous or not, disregard the effect of psychiatric medication and decide to mix with other meds, alcohol or drugs. Lethal combination ...sooner or later.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Seriously I'm starting to get scared of mixing anything anymore. Advil, alcohol, generic sominex...if anything these celebrities may be opening eyes to the average person which could be a blessing.
    Yup, with donuts!!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2786371;
    I'm of the same thought of those who wondered if there might have been a little clean-up of pharmaceuticals before EMS arrived. Has it been said if there was a bottle (or at least matching pills laying about) for each of the drugs found in Heath's system?
    I heard an interview with one of the investigating officers saying that contrary to reports, NO drugs were actually strewn about. Of course, that doesn't mean that there wasn't a clean-up before the police arrived - that definitely wouldn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2786728;
    I'm just glad that these artists are checking in and trying to get some help before their family and friends are attending their funerals.
    That's the point, however. So many of them aren't getting any help once inside, by their own admission or the disclosure of other patients there are the same time. Too many don't attend the counseling sessions at all, they use it as a private hotel, and too many of the rehab centers allow them to do it because of the money and publicity they receive when they have a well-publicized celeb there. It would be nice if all of them did check in and receive help, like it or not, but unfortunately that isn't the case. Just checking into a rehab center doesn't mean a thing at all unless you actually use the resources available there to get help.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I totally agree. Yet, I wonder how great the publicity is when the celebs checks out and continue their ruinous behaviors. If, in fact, Lindsay is back to drinking and doing drugs, how good does that look for the Cirque Lodge... errr... hotel ... resort?

+ Reply to Thread