+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

ok, i might sound ignorant or stupid but he had everything going for him, what is there to be depressed about. If you are working too much, turn down a role and go on vacation.

I am tired of rich people saying they are depressed.

anyway, GOd bless his soul, i really loved him

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2784550;
    ok, i might sound ignorant or stupid but he had everything going for him, what is there to be depressed about. If you are working too much, turn down a role and go on vacation.

1) Depression isn't a choice, it's a biochemical condition. There's a difference between feeling bummed out and being genuinely clinically depressed. If you have Clinical Depression, it's pretty much not possible to just go on a vacation and get over it.

2) Where in that article does it say he suffered from Depression? The drugs in his system were to treat various problems (anxiety, insomnia, etc.), but none of them were for Depression.

I'm sure people will now come out and make statements about how Heath did it to himself. :nono He was obviously in a lot of turmoil and certainly didn't intend to die and leave his family and his daughter. It's a tragedy for all involved.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2784550;

There are two kinds of depression -- emotional and chemical. Now a person can absolutely be wealthy and successful, and still have emotional reasons for depression. But even if EVERYTHING in a person's life is going great, if chemical depression sweeps in, there's not a vacation in the world that will alleviate it. Changing your life on its own will not do much about it. If there is a chemical imbalance in your body causing depression, it's going to take doctors prescribing the right combination of drugs to balance you chemically for the right amount of time to treat it. It has nothing to do with being "sad".

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2784566;

I'm sure people will now come out and make statements about how Heath did it to himself. :nono He was obviously in a lot of turmoil and certainly didn't intend to die and leave his family and his daughter. It's a tragedy for all involved.
    I think that the comments the general public will make will for the most part come out of ignorance (whether they're positive or negative ... they didn't know Heath, so they're making judgements without knowing about him) and will be tempered by their overall impression of Heath. Those who adored him will insist it was accidental due to exhaustion, depression, or whatever. Those who didn't like him will insist he was an irresponsible drug addict. Those who want to make a statement about drug use will do the same.

It caught my eye that one of the drugs in his system was OxyContin - the same drug Rush Limbaugh got treatment for a few years ago. There's little doubt in my mind that some of the people who despise Limbaugh and still refer to him as an OxyContin addict every time his name is mentioned will pour all sorts of sympathy and understanding towards Heath because they don't despise him like the do Limbaugh. To me, the contradictions like that illustrate just how silly it is to attempt to pass judgement on the life of any celebrity based on the tiny little tidbits we hear reported - some which are true, some which are not.
    Last edited by Veruka; 02-06-2008 at 01:42 PM.

For anyone who isn't familiar with those drugs mentioned in Ledger's system:

Diazepam, first marketed as Valium by Hoffmann-La Roche, is a benzodiazepine derivative drug. It possesses anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, sedative, skeletal muscle relaxant and amnestic properties. It is commonly used for treating anxiety, insomnia, seizures, alcohol withdrawal, and muscle spasms. It may also be used before certain medical procedures (such as endoscopies) to reduce tension and anxiety, and in some surgical procedures to induce amnesia.

Temazepam (marketed under brand names Restoril, Euhypnos, Normison, Remestan, Tenox and Norkotral) is a type of benzodiazepine drug. It is a powerful hypnotic benzodiazepine which possesses strong sedative, amnestic and motor impairing properties.[1] In addition, temazepam also has strong anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and skeletal muscle relaxant properties. Temazepam, which is an intermediate acting benzodiazepine, acts quickly to induce sleep. It is generally prescribed for the treatment of short-term severe or debilitating insomnia in patients who have difficulty falling asleep or maintaining sleep.

Alprazolam, also known under the trade names Xanax and Niravam, is a short-acting drug of the benzodiazepine class used to treat moderate to severe anxiety disorders, panic attacks, and as an adjunctive treatment for anxiety associated with clinical depression. It is also available in an extended release form, Xanax XR.

Doxylamine succinate is one of the many sedating antihistamines used by itself as a short-term sleep aid, in combination with other drugs as a night-time cold and allergy relief drug, and a preparation is prescribed in combination with vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) to prevent morning sickness in pregnant women.

Oxycodone tablets are a controlled-release oral formulation of oxycodone hydrochloride indicated for the management of moderate to severe pain when a continuous, around-the-clock analgesic is needed for an extended period of time.

Hydrocodone is a semi synthetic opioid (narcotic) derived from two of the naturally occurring opiates, codeine and thebaine. Hydrocodone is prescribed for the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain. It is taken orally as an active narcotic analgesic (pain killer) and an anti tussive (cough suppresant).
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

There certainly has been an influx of celebs checking themselves into psych wards and psychiactric hospitals the past month or so. The latest is Delta Burke, who checked herself in due to depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and 'hoarding'. I love Delta Burke, so I wish her the best. And she's got one of the best husbands in the world on her side.

Report: Delta Burke in Psychiatric Hospital
    By Stephen M. Silverman
    Originally posted Wednesday February 06, 2008 01:15 PM EST

Delta Burke has been in a psychiatric hospital since checking herself in last week, reports TMZ.com.

The former Designing Women star, 51, is apparently seeking treatment for symptoms of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder and "hoarding" which on an audio clip provided by TMZ she is heard likening to what is seen in the homes of people who have stockpiled row upon row of newspapers.

"I was on so many medications and they just weren't working," Burke is also heard saying on the clip. "I was on five." Among them, she says are "anti-depressants and stuff."

Calls placed by PEOPLE to Burke's agent and to her manager were not immediately returned.

Burke's most recent role was on Bridal Fever, which aired on the Hallmark Channel last Saturday. She costarred with her real-life husband of 18 years, Gerald McRaney.

"Mac loves me no matter what," Burke said in a statement from the Hallmark Channel and reported by the Associated Press.

"He loved me when I got as big as a house," she said. "He loved me when I was a blonde. He didn't tell me he hated it until I went back to brunette. He has loved me through my up times and my down times. He still thinks my body looks great, and I can certifiably tell you it does not!"
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

you guys are right. I am just mad this had had to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2784567;
    It caught my eye that one of the drugs in his system was OxyContin - the same drug Rush Limbaugh got treatment for a few years ago. There's little doubt in my mind that some of the people who despise Limbaugh and still refer to him as an OxyContin addict every time his name is mentioned will pour all sorts of sympathy and understanding towards Heath because they don't despise him like the do Limbaugh. To me, the contradictions like that illustrate just how silly it is to attempt to pass judgement on the life of any celebrity based on the tiny little tidbits we hear reported - some which are true, some which are not.
    Oh, now I don't know about that. I certainly despise Rush, but I know I could find many other things to say about him.

You're right that it's not right to pass judgment, but I think if a celeb has a good reputation and is well-liked, people are more likely to be sympathetic. Doesn't make it right, but it's human nature.

Nemeses, you're right: Delta Burke does have one of the best husbands in the world You're also right that it does seem like a lot of celebs are checking into psych wards lately. Of course, it could just be that the media has gone crazy (ha!) and is looking for this stuff. For instance, Justin Chambers having a sleep disorder doesn't scream "psychiatric problem" to me, but it makes a better headline if they say he checked into the psych ward. He may just have gone for a stay at one of those sleep disorder clinics, which have to keep you overnight to monitor you.

I think the only one who we know is genuinely in the psych ward is Britney.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wow on Delta Burke. She does have a great husband and I wish them the best.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Aww..I love Delta and wish her nothing but the best in recovery! And I agree, I love her hubbie!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

They really do seem like a match made in heaven.

+ Reply to Thread