+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4601Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Add me to the list of someone who has now also fallen in love with Johnny Depp the man!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2760234;
    Johnny. I love that story, AJane! Tom Cruise only wishes he was half as cool.
    Well it's not like Cruise hasn't done charitable works. It's just that when he does there tends to be an agenda ultimately pointed towards either bolstering Scientology's P.R. or getting Scientology pamphlets or materials into the grateful recipient's hands.

Remember the World Trade Center Rescue Worker program he backed, where he wanted to help "detox" them with a special program developed by L. Ron Hubbard?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Sam the butcher has died

Comcast.net Entertainment - Veteran TV actor Allan Melvin dies in L.A

Veteran TV actor Allan Melvin dies in L.A

LOS ANGELES Allan Melvin, a character actor known for appearances in such TV staples as "The Phil Silvers Show," "All in the Family" and "The Brady Bunch," has died, the Los Angeles Times reported on Saturday.

Melvin succumbed to cancer on Thursday at his home in Los Angeles, the paper said, quoting his wife, Amalia. He was 84.

Born in Kansas City, Missouri, and raised in New York City, Melvin got his big break on "The Phil Silvers Show," which ran from 1955 to 1959, playing Cpl. Henshaw, the right-hand man to Silvers' Sgt. Ernie Bilko.

He went on to play Archie Bunker's neighbor Barney in "All in the Family," and different roles on at least eight episodes of "The Andy Griffith Show." Fans of "The Brady Bunch" knew him as Sam the butcher, the boyfriend of Alice the housekeeper.

Melvin also worked in cartoons, providing the voices of Magilla Gorilla in the Hanna-Barbera series of the same name and Bluto on "Popeye," the Times said.
    Rest in piece, Mr. Melvin.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I hope he at least is free of pain now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | US actress Suzanne Pleshette dies

US actress Suzanne Pleshette dies

US actress Suzanne Pleshette, best known for playing the wife in 1970s sitcom The Bob Newhart Show, has died.
    Pleshette was nominated for four Emmy Awards over 30 years and also appeared in Alfred Hitchcock's film The Birds.

In recent years, she had parts in TV comedies Will and Grace and 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter.

She was 70 years old and died of respiratory failure at her Los Angeles home, her lawyer Robert Finkelstein told the Associated Press news agency.

The actress had chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006.

Pleshette started her career in Broadway in the late 1950s before moving into TV shows such as Dr Kildare and movies including The Birds, in which she played Annie, and Nevada Smith with Steve McQueen.

Pleshette provided the voice of reason amid the eccentricity of The Bob Newhart Show from 1972-77, earning two Emmy nominations for best TV comedy actress.

She also won acclaim for playing property tycoon Leona Helmsley in a TV movie in 1990.

Suzanne Pleshette has died. She and Tom are together again.

Comcast.net TV - 'Newhart' Actress Suzanne Pleshette Dies

'Newhart' Actress Suzanne Pleshette Dies

By BOB THOMAS, AP

LOS ANGELES — Suzanne Pleshette, the husky-voiced star best known for her role as Bob Newhart's sardonic wife on television's long-running "The Bob Newhart Show," has died at age 70.

Pleshette, whose career included roles in such films as Hitchcock's "The Birds" and in Broadway plays including "The Miracle Worker," died of respiratory failure Saturday evening at her Los Angeles home, said her attorney Robert Finkelstein, also a family friend.

Pleshette underwent chemotherapy for lung cancer in 2006.

"The Bob Newhart Show, a hit throughout its six-year run, starred comedian Newhart as a Chicago psychiatrist surrounded by eccentric patients. Pleshette provided the voice of reason.

Four years after the show ended in 1978, Newhart went on to the equally successful "Newhart" series in which he was the proprietor of a New England inn populated by more eccentrics. When that show ended in 1990, Pleshette reprised her role — from the first show — in one of the most clever final episodes in TV history.

It had Newhart waking up in the bedroom of his "The Bob Newhart Show" home with Pleshette at his side. He went on to tell her of the crazy dream he'd just had of running an inn filled with eccentrics.

"If I'm in Timbuktu, I'll fly home to do that," Pleshette said of her reaction when Newhart told her how he was thinking of ending the show.

Born Jan. 31, 1937, in New York City, Pleshette began her career as a stage actress after attending the city's High School of the Performing Arts and studying at its Neighborhood Playhouse. She was often picked for roles because of her beauty and her throaty voice.

"When I was 4," she told an interviewer in 1994, "I was answering the phone, and (the callers) thought I was my father. So I often got quirky roles because I was never the conventional ingenue."

She met her future husband, Tom Poston, when they appeared together in the 1959 Broadway comedy "The Golden Fleecing," but didn't marry him until more than 40 years later.

Although the two had a brief fling, they went on to marry others. By 2000 both were widowed and they got back together, marrying the following year.

"He was such a wonderful man. He had fun every day of his life," Pleshette said after Poston died in April 2007.

Among her other Broadway roles was replacing Anne Bancroft in "The Miracle Worker," the 1959 drama about Helen Keller, in New York and on the road.

Meanwhile, she had launched her film career with Jerry Lewis in 1958 in "The Geisha Boy." She went on to appear in numerous television shows, including "Have Gun, Will Travel," "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," "Playhouse 90" and "Naked City."

By the early 1960s, Pleshette attracted a teenage following with her youthful roles in such films as "Rome Adventure," "Fate Is the Hunter," "Youngblood Hawke" and "A Distant Trumpet."

She married fellow teen favorite Troy Donahue, her co-star in "Rome Adventure," in 1964 but the union lasted less than a year. She was married to Texas oilman Tim Gallagher from 1968 until his death in 2000.

Pleshette matured in such films as Hitchcock's "The Birds" and the Disney comedies "The Ugly Dachshund," "Blackbeard's Ghost" and "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin." Over the years, she also had a busy career in TV movies, including playing the title role in 1990's "Leona Helmsley, the Queen of Mean."

More recently, she appeared in several episodes of the TV sitcoms "Will & Grace" and "8 Simple Rules ... For Dating My Teenage Daughter."

In a 1999 interview, Pleshette observed that being an actress was more important than being a star.

"I'm an actress, and that's why I'm still here," she said. "Anybody who has the illusion that you can have a career as long as I have and be a star is kidding themselves."
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

I just loved Suzanne Pleshette. She was beautiful and funny, I loved her voice and I loved her attitude. How wonderful that she and Tom Poston were able to be together in the final years of their lives.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I was so sad to hear about Suzanne passing away...a beautiful woman who seemed like she would be a hoot to be around!

May she R.I.P.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by homeontherange;2761999;
    I just loved Suzanne Pleshette. She was beautiful and funny, I loved her voice and I loved her attitude. How wonderful that she and Tom Poston were able to be together in the final years of their lives.
    I agree wholeheartedly with you! Suzanne and Tom made a darned cute couple and it was so sweet that they were able to rekindle their romance after so many years. It probably prolonged both of their lives. She was still so young. I'm very, very sad to hear this news!

How sad that Suzanne Pleshette has died. How sweet that she and Tom Poston are now together again in heaven.

She was amazing as Leona Helmsley and had great comedic timing. Her low throaty voice was so identifiable. She was great in anything Disney. She will be missed.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread