+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5270Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

for Jodie Foster! As the ex-wife of someone who came out of the closet, I know what a relief it is for them to not have to hide that anymore! I'm like everyone else here...I've always thought she was a class act and a helluva actress! I loved Silence of the Lambs!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

Journalist and former ABC news anchor FORREST SAWYER was injured in a helicopter crash, the Travel Channel confirms.

In a statement to ET, Travel Channel President PAT YOUNGE says: "While filming a segment for the Travel Channel's Presidential Tour series late last week, a helicopter carrying host Forrest Sawyer and members of his production crew crashed into Lake Natron in northeast Tanzania. Thankfully, there were no fatalities in the crash.

"Program host Forrest Sawyer, and several members of a production crew from Beyond Productions, were injured. The show producer remains hospitalized in Johannesburg, South Africa, and is receiving additional treatment for a broken hip he suffered in the crash. The others, including Forrest Sawyer, are now safely home with their families. The pilot also received injuries, and was airlifted to Nairobi, Kenya, for treatment. Our thoughts are with them as they recover from their injuries.

"The Travel Channel would like to recognize the individual acts of heroism of the production crew and Forrest Sawyer, who helped get all the passengers out of the helicopter and safely to shore. Additionally, we thank the Masai people who assisted the crew members on shore following the accident."
    I always liked him as a reporter on ABC. I'm glad to hear there wasn't any fatalities!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Regarding Jodie Foster, from my point of view it never seemed like she tried to hide the fact that she was gay, she just didn't want to talk about it. She never tried to make it seem like she was straight and she never tried to make it out like she was gay. She kept her personal life to herself, and my guess is that she still will, that opening up a little doesn't mean we'll know all the details of her life anyway.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2716979;
    Ok, chalk me up as the only one in the world who had no clue she is a lesbian. To tell the truth, I never even thought about her private life. She is a great actress and that is as far as I have ever gone.

This line in the article annoys me. It is not our business whether or not she is out, it is her private business. Why is this world so obsessed with sexual orientation? I just don't get it.
    I do n't know why the world is so obsessed with celebrities personal lives period. Gay, straight, takes a bath, doesn't wear deoderant, who cares!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2717841;
    I do n't know why the world is so obsessed with celebrities personal lives period. Gay, straight, takes a bath, doesn't wear deoderant, who cares!
    some people do, some people don't. people like to feel that celebrities are real people sometimes, and for someone who is gay and unable to 'come out', it means a lot to have someone in the limelight be brave enough to acknowledge that they are without fear of reprisal.

it's not about standing up and announcing I'M GAY! to the world ... it's all about being able to have your partner's picture on your desk at work, etc. jodie being comfortable enough to thank her partner out in the open like she did was a huge step for those who can't come out yet.

Regarding Jodie Foster, yeah I also can't figure out why this is news, as it is indeed something I thought everyone knew. I also agree that no magazine should be putting pressure on anyone to come out, since it seems common sense to me that if you accept that everyone has the right to make their sexual orientation public if they want to, then everyone also has the right not to if that's their choice. The key word is choice, and not announcing it to the world is a choice as much as announcing it is, and they have the right to not have to explain their choice.

As for why she's been so intensely protective of her private/personal life, I doubt that whether or not it would hurt her career had anything to do with it. It's well known the problems she had with the media in 1981 and for many years afterward, after the John Hinckley Jr. incident, and because of it she had to almost go underground in her personal life to protect herself from additional stalkers afterwards, such as Edward Richardson, and from the media attention that almost drove her to a breakdown. She's had plenty of reasons to keep her private life private without any of them having to do with concern over her bankability as an actress.

I also agree that Jodie is one of the better actresses, but I do have to say that in spite of enjoying her in all of her movies of the past 20 years or so, I do wish she'd break out of the mold she seems to be settling into too often. I'm speaking of the characters she plays in movies such as Flightplan, The Brave One, Panic Room, etc. All of those are very good movies, and she's very good in them... but they're starting to look the same, and you could almost use the same trailers for all of them. I'd like to see her stretching out a bit more as she did in films like Nell, for instance. I think she could probably play anything very well, with the possible exception of comedy where she never seems comfortable, so I wish she'd do a few less of the victimized-but-getting-revenge roles she's done so many of lately and try for something different. The Inside Man wasn't enough to break her out of that mold. I'd like to see her smiling through a good part of a movie once again.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2719430;
    Regarding Jodie Foster, yeah I also can't figure out why this is news, as it is indeed something I thought everyone knew. I also agree that no magazine should be putting pressure on anyone to come out, since it seems common sense to me that if you accept that everyone has the right to make their sexual orientation public if they want to, then everyone also has the right not to if that's their choice. The key word is choice, and not announcing it to the world is a choice as much as announcing it is, and they have the right to not have to explain their choice.

As for why she's been so intensely protective of her private/personal life, I doubt that whether or not it would hurt her career had anything to do with it. It's well known the problems she had with the media in 1981 and for many years afterward, after the John Hinckley Jr. incident, and because of it she had to almost go underground in her personal life to protect herself from additional stalkers afterwards, such as Edward Richardson, and from the media attention that almost drove her to a breakdown. She's had plenty of reasons to keep her private life private without any of them having to do with concern over her bankability as an actress.

I also agree that Jodie is one of the better actresses, but I do have to say that in spite of enjoying her in all of her movies of the past 20 years or so, I do wish she'd break out of the mold she seems to be settling into too often. I'm speaking of the characters she plays in movies such as Flightplan, The Brave One, Panic Room, etc. All of those are very good movies, and she's very good in them... but they're starting to look the same, and you could almost use the same trailers for all of them. I'd like to see her stretching out a bit more as she did in films like Nell, for instance. I think she could probably play anything very well, with the possible exception of comedy where she never seems comfortable, so I wish she'd do a few less of the victimized-but-getting-revenge roles she's done so many of lately and try for something different. The Inside Man wasn't enough to break her out of that mold. I'd like to see her smiling through a good part of a movie once again.

Great post.

I think that the classy celebs do tend to keep their private life private and it doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. I wish more celebs (Brittany, Lindsay, etc.) would follow these examples. But maybe when the talent isn't there, you have to parade yourself in front of the media constantly, but the the Tom Hanks, the John Travolta's, the Jodie Fosters, don't need to rely on constant media attention. Their talent shines and they don't need the publicity to make them star material.

She is definetly a class act and I don't blame her for wanting a private life (especially with the John Hinkley and other things). But if she chooses to come out, then more power to her too. But I don't see why it should be a huge news event.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2719577;
    I think that the classy celebs do tend to keep their private life private and it doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. ...

She is definetly a class act and I don't blame her for wanting a private life (especially with the John Hinkley and other things). But if she chooses to come out, then more power to her too. But I don't see why it should be a huge news event.
    Good points, mrd, one that the little celebutwits today should learn.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2719430;
    Regarding Jodie Foster, yeah I also can't figure out why this is news, as it is indeed something I thought everyone knew.
    She's one of those folks where I think even if it wasn't common knowledge that she was gay, it doesn't seem to be a big surprise.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

just saw a 'breaking news' on E! that pamela anderson is divorcing rick solomon ... after two months. boy, no one saw THAT coming, did we?

+ Reply to Thread