+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4745Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

A little more about Alex, whom I also love and hope he'll be fine. I remember back in the days of Falcon Crest and for a long time afterwards, Alex and actress Susan Sullivan were a serious couple. I always hoped they'd marry because I like both of them and they both seemed so right for each other. It wasn't meant to be, and I'm sure the woman he did marry, Jean, must be a lovely woman as well.

Alex Trebek Has Minor Heart Attack
    Tuesday, December 11, 2007

LOS ANGELES Longtime "Jeopardy!" host Alex Trebek was hospitalized Tuesday after a minor heart attack, a spokesman for the game show said.

Trebek, 67, was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center late Monday night and was expected to remain there about two days for tests and observation, said show spokesman Jeff Ritter.

"Thankfully it was a minor heart attack," Ritter said. He did not give other details.

A post on the official "Jeopardy!" Web site said Trebek was "resting comfortably in a Los Angeles hospital, and he will be back in the studio for the next scheduled tapings in January." His heart attack was first reported by "Entertainment Tonight."

Trebek escaped a car crash unhurt in 2004 when he fell asleep at the wheel, sideswiped a string of mailboxes and wound up in a ditch, according to the California Highway Patrol. The Jan 30, 2004, accident happened in the town of Templeton, not far from Trebek's thoroughbred horse ranch.

"Jeopardy!" has been one of television's top-rated syndicated programs for more than 20 years. The Canadian-born Trebek has been its host since 1984.

He has been nominated numerous times for daytime Emmy Awards for game show host, winning twice.

Trebek, who holds a philosophy degree from the University of Ottawa, was a TV and radio reporter for the Canadian Broadcasting Company before moving to the United States. He became a U.S. citizen in 1998.

He launched his U.S. game show career in 1983 as host of a show called "The Wizard of Odds." Other shows he's hosted include "Pitfall," "Battlestars," "The $128,000 Question," "Double Dare," "High Rollers," "Strategy" and "Reach for the Top." He also hosts the annual National Geography Bee in the U.S. and Canada.

Trebek and his wife, Jean, have two children.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I so agree with you Broadway, the Alba/Warren baby will be gorgeous!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Jodie Foster silences the critics

JODIE Foster has finally come out as a lesbian to pay tribute to her lover of 14 years. The fiercely private star has always resolutely refused to discuss her sexuality.

But after winning an award at a Women in Entertainment breakfast, she broke her taboo to thank "my beautiful Cydney".

Her emotional speech brought tears to the eyes of some of her audience at the Beverly Hills Hotel, revealing a vulnerable side to a star who has long resisted calls from gay rights activists to clarify her personal life.

Foster, 44 and a double Oscar winner, praised her film producer partner Cydney Bernard "who sticks with me through all the rotten and the bliss".

The couple met on the set of the film Sommersby in 1993 and are raising two sons, Charles, 9, and Kit, 6, at their Malibu home.

Although she gave birth to both boys, Foster has never revealed the identity of the father or the circumstances of the boys' conception.

As with most questions about her personal life, she has refused to comment on gossip that the father was an old university friend, who is also gay.

Accepting a leadership award, Foster offered an insight into the insecurities that haunt her.

"I feel fragile, unsure, struggling to figure it all out, trying to get there even though I'm not sure where there is," she said.

"I've been working in this business for 42 years and there's no way you can do that and not be as nutty as a fruitcake."

The motive behind Foster's decision to go public was the subject of much speculation.

One theory is that she is forging a new career off camera as a director and producer, and feels less pressure to compromise with Middle America.

Earlier this year the leading US gay magazine Out carried her photo on the cover with the headline, "The glass closet: Why the stars won't come out and play".

Critics suggested she feared her career could suffer if she spoke of her personal life.

Kathy Belge, of the website Lesbian Life, applauded Foster's move.

"Perhaps it was because her children are getting older and she didn't want them to think there was anything wrong with being gay. Perhaps she was simply sick and tired of life in the closet. Whatever her reasons, we are pleased that Jodie found the courage to be true to herself."

Foster won her Best Actress Oscars playing rape victim Sarah Tobias in The Accused in 1988 and Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs three years later.

source: Herald Sun Homepage | Australia's biggest selling daily newspaper
    mark this one up as another "WELL DUH!" situation.

No kidding.

I may have sang her praises here before, but it's worth saying again - Jodie Foster is a class act all the way, not to mention she's probably the best actress of her generation. When she was a child star, my mom used to take me to her movies, and Silence of the Lambs is one of my favourite movies ever. It sounds silly and fangirly, but I almost feel like I've grown up with her. I also think she's a shining example to all the child stars who have sent their lives (and careers, for the most part) down the toilet. I don't think her coming out publicly is going to hurt her one bit.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Nah.....I can't see it hurting her at all. She is definitely tried, tested, and found true. Good for her, finally being able to be her authentic self!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i agree, she's a class act, for sure ...

Ok, chalk me up as the only one in the world who had no clue she is a lesbian. To tell the truth, I never even thought about her private life. She is a great actress and that is as far as I have ever gone.

Earlier this year the leading US gay magazine Out carried her photo on the cover with the headline, "The glass closet: Why the stars won't come out and play".
    This line in the article annoys me. It is not our business whether or not she is out, it is her private business. Why is this world so obsessed with sexual orientation? I just don't get it.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It gives a lot of people reason to judge other folks and, for some reason, makes them feel superior?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2716979;
    This line in the article annoys me. It is not our business whether or not she is out, it is her private business. Why is this world so obsessed with sexual orientation? I just don't get it.
    Not the entire world... just our narrow-minded country. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay
    Nah.....I can't see it hurting her at all. She is definitely tried, tested, and found true. Good for her, finally being able to be her authentic self!
    I know you didn't mean that comment in anything but a positive way, but I just had to say that Jodie Foster has always been her authentic self. She just didn't feel the need to succumb to the unnecessaringly prying eye and pen of the public. That is one of the classiest things about her... the lack of any desire to play the game. Good for her.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I'm glad to see Jodie finally come out. I don't think I've ever not thought she was a lesbian. I don't think it will hurt her career at all, especially since she's not a romantic leading lady like Julia Roberts or Meg Ryan. I'm sure this was one of the worst kept secrets in Hollywood.

ITS - the Warren/Alba baby is going to be beautiful! Those two could create a superior race!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread