+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5280Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2563856;
    Yes, but if she's manipulating things, Disney is also a place which bears grudges. They fully expect their stars to eventually break free, I think, but I bet they want it done as much under their terms as possible.
    I agree with you there. But unfortunately, even though they would want it done as much under their terms as possible, they don't often have any control over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2563856;
    And the fact that times have changed doesn't alter Disney's core image. Even if they know its a crock, they program with that core image in mind. And the "for profit" motive swings both ways. We live in a country that in some ways is much more conservative than 20 years ago. I mean maybe 40+ years of having a sex film industry, 50+ years of Rock & Roll, 30+ years of cable TV, and such have changed base assumptions, but that doesn't stop letter writing campaigns and threats against advertisers. Even if they don't really have the power to hurt an entity like Disney that much, Disney hates bad press--they'd rather just avoid it than ride it out usually (although this time they've obviously chosen to do just that... probably because H.S. musical is worth a LOT of money).
    I agree with most of what you said above, (except the part about the country being more conservative today than 20 years ago.. that clearly is not the case, unfortunately) but unfortunately... a nude photo of a young starlet these days isn't shocking enough to mount enough of a letter writing campaign or generate enough complaints, even with a Disney star, to make a difference. It's just not a big enough deal anymore, to kids, to their parents, to advertisers, and even to Disney.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Okay... this little revelation puts a twist on how people are interpreting the scandal. Apparently it's not going to be an "only Vanessa or Zac would have been able to leak the photos" situation.

Source: Vanessa Hudgens Sent Nude Photo to Drake Bell

Following the appearance on the Web of a nude photo of Vanessa Hudgens, a source close to the situation tells PEOPLE that the High School Musical actress once sent risqué photos of herself to Nickelodeon star Drake Bell.

Hudgens had emailed photos to the Drake and Josh actor a couple of years ago, before she was famous, the source says.

Bell's rep, Jill Fritzo, tells PEOPLE of the images that began hitting blogs on Thursday: "Drake says he never received those photos."

Hudgens, 18, appeared in a 2006 episode of Bell's Nickelodeon show as his character's girlfriend. In real life, Hudgens is dating her High School Musical costar Zac Efron, and the two are in Australia at the moment, where he is promoting Hairspray.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Broadway, which one is Drake? The one with hair like Zac, or the one who used to be heavy and lost a ton of weight?

A long time ago when I was a kid, I liked a member of a boy band whose singer had killed a woman in an accident (I think it was drunk driving...I can't remember--it was a long time ago since I was a kid). I don't think the scandal affected his career at all. When the band did lose its popularity, it's cause the fan base had outgrown the music...not 'cause of the accident. (And yes, I'm being vague 'cause I'm embarrassed about my music tastes way back when!)

I remember when Lisa Bonet was going to shoot that movie with Mickey Rourke (was that "Angel Heart" or something like that?), there were nude scenes/gore that went against her Huxtables goody goody image. She said BIll Cosby actually encouraged her to do the role and said it would be a good career move. (Well, so much for that piece of advice...) Drew Barrymore posed for Playboy when she was 18 or 19 in an effort to get viewed as an adult and win more adult roles. Female actresses use their sexuality as a career move all the time.

It seems to me that you have certain Highschool Musical cast members who are grateful just to have work and will milk the show/series (whatever it's called) for as long as they can. Then there are others (Zac, Vanessa) who seem to desperately want to prove they are more than teen actors and want "legitimate" film careers.

I don't think Vanessa is famous enough to spin this into a film career... but I do think Hef's people will be offering her a spread in Playboy. She is 18, after all...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2564139;
    Broadway, which one is Drake? The one with hair like Zac, or the one who used to be heavy and lost a ton of weight?
    I'll answer for Broadway....The one with hair like Zac......

I'm a 41 year old woman and I love to watch "Drake and Josh"!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Movie & TV stars involved in scandals is nothing new. My kids (mostly my 3rd-grader) watch Disney movies that feature the Lindsay Lohans of this generation, and I'm not moved to complain to the studios about their personal lives. I know I listen to and buy music from artists who have well-known personal problems that include substance abuse and very bad public behaviour. I attend hockey games that are played by athletes who have DUI convictions. So it would be pretty hypocritical of me to write to Disney and complain about a silly girl who sent a nude picture of herself to some boy she liked, because the silly girl in question happens to be in programs that my kids may watch.

My own kids are too young to know or care about the personal lives of people on TV or in the movies. When they do start being interested in actors and actresses beyond the characters they portray, I plan to explain to them that these people live different lives from us and while it's fine to enjoy the entertainment they provide, they are not role models and I expect them to live by the rules I set out. Complaining to studios about their employees smacks of censorship, something I never agree with.

ETA: My kids love Drake & Josh. Did Josh lose weight? I must not have seen recent episodes, I guess.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

so if this picture was taken a couple of years ago, and she's 18 now ... sounds like anyone that has downloaded it is guilty of viewing child nudity?

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2564199;
    Movie & TV stars involved in scandals is nothing new. My kids (mostly my 3rd-grader) watch Disney movies that feature the Lindsay Lohans of this generation, and I'm not moved to complain to the studios about their personal lives. I know I listen to and buy music from artists who have well-known personal problems that include substance abuse and very bad public behaviour. I attend hockey games that are played by athletes who have DUI convictions. So it would be pretty hypocritical of me to write to Disney and complain about a silly girl who sent a nude picture of herself to some boy she liked, because the silly girl in question happens to be in programs that my kids may watch.

My own kids are too young to know or care about the personal lives of people on TV or in the movies. When they do start being interested in actors and actresses beyond the characters they portray, I plan to explain to them that these people live different lives from us and while it's fine to enjoy the entertainment they provide, they are not role models and I expect them to live by the rules I set out. Complaining to studios about their employees smacks of censorship, something I never agree with.

ETA: My kids love Drake & Josh. Did Josh lose weight? I must not have seen recent episodes, I guess.
    Great post AJane!

And yeah, I would definitely say that Josh has lost weight.......

vs:

Last edited by bbnbama; 09-09-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

They were on The View recently and I think he said he's lost 100lbs.
    Good for him
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2564216;
    so if this picture was taken a couple of years ago, and she's 18 now ... sounds like anyone that has downloaded it is guilty of viewing child nudity?
    "A couple of years" is spookily vague, but her IMDB page shows that her appearance on Drake & Josh was in 2006. If so, then she was 16 or 17. Not great, but at least its not as creepy as her being in the 13-15 range. I mean unless sending that picture, before she appeared on that show in 2006 is how she GOT that job. (and geez that's an even creepier idea...)

Honestly, if you look closely as her IMDB profile, she actually didn't work all that much between "Thirteen" and "High School Musical". Some 1 episode guest shots on sitcoms, mainly.

Apparently Disney is not her only employment worry. Her Wiki page says she got picked just before this photo scandal for a Neutrogena campaign. And Neutrogena DOES go for the squeeky clean types--you don't see Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan working for them (here's a hint: previous Neutrogena girls include: Julie Bowen, Angie Harmon, Mandy Moore, Hayden Panettiere, etc.--all actresses without many black marks in their P.R. books)
    Last edited by Krom; 09-09-2007 at 03:54 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2564216;

I thought if that, they might be using it in an effort to have some websites remove the images. And this has spread like wild fire in the blogosphere.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread