+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2492254;
    Well being the father of Hollywood's current biggest media sensation hardly makes him just a nameless Joe whom no one's ever heard of. He's just that - the father of Hollywood's biggest media sensation. Every day Joes do not have cameras in their face clamouring for their comments on their destructive children.
    This is missing the point of why I was comparing him to averge Joes. Michael going on TV was being justified by saying he's estranged from his daughter, and its the only way he can reach out to her. I was pointing out that is not a justificaiton for his actions, nor is it the only solution. Estranged fathers who don't have the benefit of the media figure out how to reach out to their daughters, which means that Michael could reach out to her just as they do. In other words, the "he has no other choice" argument is really not the case as I see it.

Nicole Richie sentenced, fined for DUI.

GLENDALE, Calif. - Nicole Richie pleaded guilty Friday to driving under the influence of drugs and was sentenced to about four days in jail and fined by a court commissioner who said she was lucky nobody was killed when she drove the wrong way on a freeway.

Richie, the 25-year-old daughter of pop singer Lionel Richie, was subdued and somber as she was lectured about her driving. She entered court on the arm of boyfriend Joel Madden.

Richie, who's rumored to be pregnant but has not confirmed it, wore a loose-fitting, knee-length black dress and spiked heels. She stood before the judge and softly answered "guilty" when asked how she pleaded to the misdemeanor charge. She initially pleaded not guilty in February.

She nodded when asked if she understood terms of the plea agreement (including 90 hours in jail and a fine of $2,048) worked out between her lawyers and prosecutors. Superior Court Commissioner Steven K. Lubell also gave Richie three years of probation and warned that she would go to county jail for a year if she violates it.

She must complete her sentence by Sept. 28. She can serve it in either a city or a county jail.

She was ordered to enroll in a drug and alcohol program and must prove that she has completed it when she returns to court on Feb. 20, 2008.

"You are not to drive with any measurable amount of alcohol or drugs in your system," Lubell told her. "You are not to drive without a driver's license."

He said the state Department of Motor Vehicles would decide whether to suspend her license.

"You are very lucky that no one was hurt of killed as the result of this incident," Lubell said.

Richie was arrested early on Dec. 11 after witnesses reported seeing her black Mercedes-Benz sport utility vehicle headed the wrong way on a freeway in Burbank.

The California Highway Patrol said they found her parked in the car pool lane.

Richie told authorities she had smoked marijuana and taken the prescription painkiller Vicodin, a CHP officer said at the time.

No drugs were found on her or in the car.

Lubell warned Richie of the dangers of driving under the influence and said: "The facts of this case, as the court knows it, is pretty scary. Someone could have gotten killed or injured. The court does not want anything to happen to you.

"If you continue to drive while under the influence of drugs or alcohol and someone gets killed, you can be charged with murder, not manslaughter.

"I hope that never, ever happens."

He said such a murder charge would come under a specific legal provision because she now has two convictions, the first one in June 2003 when she was convicted for driving under the influence of alcohol. The 2003 conviction made her eligible for a sentence of 90 days to a year in jail.

The reality TV star's lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holly, acknowledged to the court that the plea bargain reached with the prosecution was acceptable.

Richie made no comment to reporters as she left the courthouse, surrounded by private bodyguards.

Richie's jail sentence follows that of Paris Hilton, her co-star on the reality TV show "The Simple Life."

Hilton recently was released after spending about 23 days in custody for violating probation in an alcohol-related reckless driving case.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

You gotta hand it to the judges in California -- At least they are learning from past technicalities, and sentencing Nicole based on the number of hours she has to serve in jail rather than the number of days. No more "come to jail at 11:58PM, and we'll count that as a day"!

Gee . . .

Seems "The Simple Life" ain't as simple as Paris and Nicole thought it was, hmmmmm?

KUDOS to LUBELL!!!!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2492286;
    Following that logic, why do we not see Britney's parents all over every television show? Do you really think they aren't being asked? Some people have enough maturity and sense to know that you don't deal with this family crud in the media.
    Because she doesn't need to. She can probably visit or call Britney whenever she chooses. Currently Michael can't do the same where Lindsay is concerned. Naturally it isn't the best thing in the world to be hashing a family crisis in the media. But as I stated earlier, as long as his heart is in the right place, which I believe it is, if this is the way he wishes to communicate his feelings to his daughter, then I say power to him.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2492342;
    Because she doesn't need to. She can probably visit or call Britney whenever she chooses. Currently Michael can't do the same where Lindsay is concerned. Naturally it isn't the best thing in the world to be hashing a family crisis in the media. But as I stated earlier, as long as his heart is in the right place, which I believe it is, if this is the way he wishes to communicate his feelings to his daughter, then I say power to him.
    Not true. Lynne Spears has been cut out of Britney's life for a while now, ever since Britney got mad that Lynne was spending time with Kevin in order to see the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2492345;
    Not true. Lynne Spears has been cut out of Britney's life for a while now, ever since Britney got mad that Lynne was spending time with Kevin in order to see the kids.
    But she hasn't been ordered by the courts to stay away from Britney.

FORT Fogey

Yes, Brit booted Lynne out of her life and very publicly too.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2492346;
    But she hasn't been ordered by the courts to stay away from Britney.
    Actually, she has been ordered by Britney. But you don't see her resorting to the press. Not too charming of a technique that he has there. His daughter goes to court to have them forbid him from contacting her, so he thinks it's a bright idea to use the press to harass her instead? BAH... that must go over well. I'm sure Lindsay appreciates the publicity. (perhaps not.)

And apparently the judges don't much think Michael Lohan's quite rehabbed enough, either.

Judge orders Michael Lohan to get a life

While their daughter Lindsay waits to hear the music on her latest DUI arrest, Michael and Dina Lohan made plenty of noise this morning in their divorce battle in a Long Island courtroom.

Judge Robert A. Ross ordered Michael to pay Dina $500 a week in child support for the next two weeks, and excoriated him for not being able to tell him how he's been getting by since he got out of jail. What's more, the judge demanded that in two weeks' time, Michael must show some proof that he's working toward getting work.

One topic that went completely unmentioned in court: Lindsay herself. Both Dina and Michael were tight-lipped about her, but Michael did tell TMZ that he thought a letter -- blaming him for being an absentee father, and purportedly written by his 13-year-old daughter, Ali -- was "written by someone else."

The Litigious Lohan Clan will be back in court in Long Island on Monday for more divorce proceedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2492417;
    Actually, she has been ordered by Britney. But you don't see her resorting to the press. Not too charming of a technique that he has there.
    I don't see it as a technique, but a last resort for him.

+ Reply to Thread