+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;2492108;
    I guess she is like her sister in that regard. I have seen statements from Lindsay before with a lot of misspellings. No one is perfect, but if you are sending something out to the media, at least use spell check.

It does not surprise me at all though that Dina has the 13 year old getting in the middle of this and lying about her Father.
    Wouldn't surprise me either.

Just because Lindsay's dad has had past troubles doesn't mean he doesn't genuinely care about his daughter. If he's trying his best to better himself (and by all accounts he seems to be), then he has every right, not to mention, the proper frame of reference, to be looking out for his child's best interests.

Sure as hell beats Dina acting half her age and trying to be cool by hanging out with her daughter and pimping herself out in front of all the paparazzi because she's so desperate for attention.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

I don't see much of a distinction between Dina pimping herself out in front of the paparazzi, and Michale pimping himself out in front of every TV network willing to put him on the air. To me, the two are exactly the same thing. It rings volumes to me that the minute word of Lyndsay's troubles hit, Michael was running as fast as he could to the nearest TV studio. He's as much of a self-promoter seeking fame on his daughter's coattails as his ex-wife is.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

I respect Michael Lohan for at least coming out publicly and taking responsibility for his behavior and taking the blame for creating a bad family/home life for his family. In most, if not all of Lindsay's someone in the family has blamed someone or something else (the media, an illness). This guy is coming out in public and saying he hasn't been the greatest father and that he was the source of many problems. I think that is a major step in recovery and repentance. I think Lindsay could learn from him right now. If the media is the only way he can contact her, that that's what he feels he has to do. He has offered a truce with Dina to put the court cases aside and try to work things out for Lindsay's benefit.

If I were Dina, I don't think I would want my other children getting involved in contacting the media, but then again, a 14 year old could easily send an email or text message without her mother knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2492197;
    I don't see much of a distinction between Dina pimping herself out in front of the paparazzi, and Michale pimping himself out in front of every TV network willing to put him on the air. To me, the two are exactly the same thing. It rings volumes to me that the minute word of Lyndsay's troubles hit, Michael was running as fast as he could to the nearest TV studio. He's as much of a self-promoter seeking fame on his daughter's coattails as his ex-wife is.
    There is a HUGE distinction. Dina has access to her daughter anytime she pleases, and thus, should be using that time to save her child from the brink of destruction, while on the other hand Michael cannot see his daughter. Hence, the media is the outlet he is utlizing to get his pleas across to her. So to that I ask, how is one appearing on camera for the sole purpose of appearing on camera one in the same as one using the media to do whatever he can to reach out to his daughter? They are not the same. The outlet is the same, but the purposes are different. Looks to me like Michaal has the right idea.

And if Michael wasn't appearing in the media to discuss his daughter's troubles folks would then be asking why he had nothing to say. They'd then be claiming he didn't care at all about her. He can't win, apparently.

He's obviously not looking for the "father of the year" award. Just looking to save his daughter from herself.

I think he also wants to keep his daughter from making the same mistakes he did.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2492210;
    There is a HUGE distinction. Dina has access to her daughter anytime she pleases, and thus, should be using that time to save her child from the brink of destruction, while on the other hand Michael cannot see his daughter. Hence, the media is the outlet he is utlizing to get his pleas across to her. So to that I ask, how is one appearing on camera for the sole purpose of appearing on camera one in the same as one using the media to do whatever he can to reach out to his daughter? They are not the same. The outlet is the same, but the purposes are different. Looks to me like Michaal has the right idea.

And if Michael wasn't appearing in the media to discuss his daughter's troubles folks would then be asking why he had nothing to say. They'd then be claiming he didn't care at all about her. He can't win, apparently.

He's obviously not looking for the "father of the year" award. Just looking to save his daughter from herself.
    How did Michael wind up without access to his daughter? It was his own actions. He's not a victim here -- he did it to himself.

As to how he can reach out to her -- I go back to the point I made earlier in teh week. In a family torn apart like this that is not in the public eye, how does the estranged parent reach out to their children? Larry King is certainly not going to serve as the conduit for Joe Smith to reach out to his daughter. And yet, Joes every day find a way to do it. I'd suggest Michael ask some of them for suggestions. Let's be honest here -- a great deal of Lynday's problems stem from her being in the public eye. So I don't think that Michael contributing to that attention is really helping her, and I think there's a good argument to be made that it's hurting her more.

As for people criticizing him if he didn't appear in public -- I don't have any idea what Robert Downey Jr's parents thought when hewas going through his troubles. I don't even know what Martin Sheen was up to when Charlie was in and out of rehab. And I don't recall any sort of criticm towards any of them for not speaking out. If Michael chose to turn down interview requests, I'm rather confident that the public would overlook it, much as they did the Downeys and Sheens.

Should Micheal not be allowed a second chance? He served his time behind bars and he claims that he has found faith in God. He's also publicly taken responsibility for his failings as a husband and father. He has battled addiction. In light of Lindsay's situation, I think any positive help would be appreciated.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2492223;
    Should Micheal not be allowed a second chance? He served his time behind bars and he claims that he has found faith in God. He's also publicly taken responsibility for his failings as a husband and father. He has battled addiction. In light of Lindsay's situation, I think any positive help would be appreciated.
    I absolutely believe that he should be given a second chance. You're right that he's served his time, he says he's changed, and I think it's a shame that Lyndsay won't give him that second chance. That said, I do not beleive that running to every TV camera that is on is the best way for him to go about things as a changed man. I agree with those who have said that Lyndsay has been very very hurt by her mother's using her to promote her own fame. When Michael goes on every TV show that will have him, I think he's doing exactly what Dina is doing. I think that both of them are far more interested in promoting themselves than they are in taking care of their daughter.

How did Michael wind up without access to his daughter? It was his own actions. He's not a victim here -- he did it to himself.
    I don't see how this at all precludes him caring about his daughter. It's called a past for a reason - because you put it behind you and move forward into a more positive sense of being. I certainly don't see why we should hold it against him if he is indeed now taking the steps to become a better father. Just because someone's behaviour isn't condoned doesn't mean it should be held against them forever. People mess up. That's life. I'm sure Michael is not proud of his past behaviours. If he was appearing on TV and acting self-righteous and pointing a finger at his daughter that would be a different story. And I certainly don't see him as a victim here, for it is he along with his wife whom I see as the catalysts for the mess that Lindsay now finds herself in.

As to how he can reach out to her -- I go back to the point I made earlier in teh week. In a family torn apart like this that is not in the public eye, how does the estranged parent reach out to their children? Larry King is certainly not going to serve as the conduit for Joe Smith to reach out to his daughter. And yet, Joes every day find a way to do it.
    Well being the father of Hollywood's current biggest media sensation hardly makes him just a nameless Joe whom no one's ever heard of. He's just that - the father of Hollywood's biggest media sensation. Every day Joes do not have cameras in their face clamouring for their comments on their destructive children.

I'd suggest Michael ask some of them for suggestions. Let's be honest here -- a great deal of Lynday's problems stem from her being in the public eye. So I don't think that Michael contributing to that attention is really helping her, and I think there's a good argument to be made that it's hurting her more.
    But Lindsay's problems stemming from her being in the public eye don't stem from her father being in the public eye. From what we know, it appears to be from a very neglectful upbringing, and I reiterate, for which both Dina AND Michael are to blame.

As for people criticizing him if he didn't appear in public -- I don't have any idea what Robert Downey Jr's parents thought when hewas going through his troubles. I don't even know what Martin Sheen was up to when Charlie was in and out of rehab. And I don't recall any sort of criticm towards any of them for not speaking out.
    Because he's already under fire and criticizm for his past bad behaviours as a father. He was deemed a bad father from the get-go which makes everything else he does or doesn't do come under scrutiny by default. And the media and public in general are far more interested in what Lindsay has been up to than they were in both Robert Downey Jr. and Charlie Sheen put together.

If Michael chose to turn down interview requests, I'm rather confident that the public would overlook it, much as they did the Downeys and Sheens.
    I agree - to an extent. Granted, yes, Michael could do no harm to turn down a few TV appearances, but at the same time if he feels the media is the best (and only) tool he can use to communicate his feelings to his daughter, I don't see any harm in it at all as long as his intentions are in her best interests.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2492228;
    I absolutely believe that he should be given a second chance. You're right that he's served his time, he says he's changed, and I think it's a shame that Lyndsay won't give him that second chance. That said, I do not beleive that running to every TV camera that is on is the best way for him to go about things as a changed man. I agree with those who have said that Lyndsay has been very very hurt by her mother's using her to promote her own fame. When Michael goes on every TV show that will have him, I think he's doing exactly what Dina is doing. I think that both of them are far more interested in promoting themselves than they are in taking care of their daughter.
    I'm with you on this one... I believe that Michael Lohan is shamelessly using the media to further his own "poor me" agenda, not out of a primary concern for helping his daughter.

Sure, I do believe that he cares for his daughter in his own way, but his immediate appearances on every tv station that will listen to him scream more to me of fraud and desperation. Honestly, I do not believe that he's this completely reformed man that has found God.. I think that's a ploy. He has been in trouble with the law for over 20 years. He has been an admitted poor father for over 20 years. This court ruling that he is forbidden from contacting his daughter or her attorney is fairly recent and was due to harrassment, so he's not the squeaky clean rehabbed individual that many are trying to make him out to be. Not by a long shot.

It's so easy to look from the outside and say "Oh look.. here's a father that wants to be a good influence on his daughter" when people don't know the first thing about what these individuals have been through with him. But all I do know is that these individuals that are involved don't want a damned thing to do with him. That's enough for me.

From all that I've heard and seen through the years, and by Michael Lohan's own admission, he's probably the main reason that Lindsay's going through the problems that she is. For that reason alone, she doesn't need to see him until she gets herself better. You do not throw an addict of any sort back into the fire and expect them to get the help that they need until they learn to deal with the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by beestunglips
    Well being the father of Hollywood's current biggest media sensation hardly makes him just a nameless Joe whom no one's ever heard of. He's just that - the father of Hollywood's biggest media sensation. Every day Joes do not have cameras in their face clamouring for their comments on their destructive children.
    Following that logic, why do we not see Britney's parents all over every television show? Do you really think they aren't being asked? Some people have enough maturity and sense to know that you don't deal with this family crud in the media.
    Last edited by Broadway; 07-27-2007 at 12:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread