+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4672Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Well, I think they call Diana, regardless of her pedigree, the People's Princess because she was the first royal in a long time that displayed any kind of empathy for the common folks of Britian. In watching the movie the Queen, it was so striking that the Royal family were so insular and not aware of the public's affection for Diana and couldn't act accordingly. I read that it was William and Harry's idea to walkabout the palace gates and look at all the flowers and talk to the people who gather after Diana's death. That is remarkable because I wouldn't at that age be so level headed upon hearing about my mother's death. It was also their idea to walk behind the hearse.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I'm watching the Diana tribute right now....I was always such a fan of hers....GREAT woman! She did a great job raising those 2 boys! She would be so proud!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

OK, I know this is last week's news, but I just watched the Paris Hilton interview and wanted to put in my 2 cents.

When she said she would love to work with MADD (Mothers against Drunk Driving) she said it was because she has served her sentence and has taken the consequences. This reminded me of an ad campaign that is regularly repeated here in Sweden; The worst thing that can happen when driving drunk is not being pulled over by the police was the message accompanied with pictures of people who have gotten hurt, in some way, by drunk driving. She hasn't really grasped that going to jail isn't the worst thing that can happen.

I also found it interesting when she said she's not a big drinker, but I'm sorry 0.8 in alcohol level is quite a lot. Not getting really wasted, but it's not one drink.

Lastly, I always find it very self-disillusional when she says she doesn't take money from her family; she has written books, made CD's, has a TV show, made movies, been a model. It might be true now, that she doesn't need her family's money, but where would she be without it. Does she honestly think that she would have done all those stuff if she was a a "normal" person? As for The Simple Life, the whole premise was two rich girls out of water, so without money, no TV show. Her book is Confessions of an Heiress, again playing on the fact that she has money from the start.

Then I compare her to others born into that world, specifically Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, who was born into wealth, but has made her own career, a career not based on the fact that she was born with wealth. I just saw Ivanka Trump on Project Runway and she presented herself in a totally different way than expected. She was smart and poised, didn't try to grab attention but gave valuable advice. She has gone to college and has worked for other companies before going back to Trump (I had to look that up in Wiki). Even Nicky Hilton presents herself in a more eloquent way than Paris (not that hard, but still).

So, Paris has all the opportunities in the world, but only time will tell what she does with them.

(Long post, I know)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, when she starts out lying during her first post-jail interview, I don't hold out much hope for her. I think the word is "hopeless". I am convinced that this girl is a waste of space. I hope I have to eat my words.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2458016;
    Then I compare her to others born into that world, specifically Julia Louis-Dreyfuss, who was born into wealth, but has made her own career, a career not based on the fact that she was born with wealth. I just saw Ivanka Trump on Project Runway and she presented herself in a totally different way than expected. She was smart and poised, didn't try to grab attention but gave valuable advice. She has gone to college and has worked for other companies before going back to Trump (I had to look that up in Wiki). Even Nicky Hilton presents herself in a more eloquent way than Paris (not that hard, but still).
    ITA. While I don't like The Donald, I think Ivanka has grown up to be a resonsible young woman. She said in an interview that she has a mortgage on her apartment that she has to pay off. Her father didn't just give it to her, though he certainly could have. She also said that if she messes up, she will pay the consequences for it. While I doubt he would be as hard on her as a non relative, it seems like she is not riding on his coattails, but working on building a career and name for herself.

I think wealthy parents do their children a disservice by handing everything to them on a silver platter. Sure, provide them with an education, perhaps even seed money for a down payment on their first home...but don't give them everything they want. If they don't work for it, they will not value it as much. Does Paris Hilton donate to ANY charties? Maybe she does privately but it doesn't seem like any of the Hiltons are particularly philanthropic.

I remember seeing Reese Witherspoon on Oprah and while she wouldn't name names, I'm sure Paris was one of the women she had in mind. She said something to the effect that she didn't consider it "cute" to be dumb, and that she couldn't stand that that's how a lot of young Hollywood women were presenting themselves (this was around the time that Jessica Simpson was famous for asking if "Chicken of the Sea" referred to chicken or tuna...).

I think wealthy parents do their children a disservice by handing everything to them on a silver platter. Sure, provide them with an education, perhaps even seed money for a down payment on their first home...but don't give them everything they want.
    Truer words have never been spoken, Lois. We are not rich by any means, but we pay our bills and often have spending money left over. My oldest is 17 and he has to pay his own car payment and insurance. I was livid when his father bought him a car. My son ruined the transmission before he had it for a month. He didn't appreciate it at all. My husband and I co-signed a loan for him to get another car. He babies that car. I drove it to the store last night because mine was blocked in and he called my cell asking when I was bringing his baby back. I wasn't even gone for 20 minutes... Silly boy! He also has a job and in one year he has only called in sick one day and I can verify that he was really sick. I have to say, I'm very proud of him. He makes his payments on time and has a savings account. My middle son will be getting his permit at the end of the month and he will recieve the same treatment. Although, we could easily afford to pay the insurance and probably half of their car payments, its just not gonna happen.

As for Paris, her face was in the tabloids before she started singing, so-called acting or anything else. She got those gigs after she starting pimping herself out to the paparazzi. She's delusional.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Sounds like you have some great kids, kat. My brother and his family live in one of the wealthier suburbs around here and can afford to buy their two oldest kids their own cars. But the two kids share a car and paid for it themselves. They also have jobs, help their church with the needy, have to babysit their younger sister, and pay for their own insurance and gas. When a car dinged their car, my brother and sister in law had them (the kids) call the insurance company and deal with it--to teach them how to deal with life. Now obviously, my brother and sister in law were always around to supervise if the kids needed help or had a question about what to ask the insurance company... But when they go off to college, they will know how to pay their own bills, budget their expenses etc.

I read that Paris was saying that being strip searched in prison was the most humiliating experience for her. Um, no, only a few people saw that. I'd be more humiliated by that SEX tape that she willingly agreed to (the taping of it anyhow) and that was seen by thousands or millions (I have no idea why anyone would want to see that tape but whatever).

I don't think that all kids are geared for college and perhaps that wouldn't have been best for Paris. But her parents should've encouraged her to DO something with her life other than going to parties and getting her picture taken. I don't think she's particularly attractive, but at least she's got youth on her side now. What is she supposed to do for a living when she's 45 or 50 and no one wants her to come to their parties anymore? Or if they were going to enable her lifestyle, they should've taught her that sharing her good fortune with those less fortunate is probably the best gift she could offer. And I don't mean showing up at a food bank once a year to serve Thanksgiving turkey. But actually donating some money to help a village get clean water, putting some money into a local orphanage so kids have a nice home to grow up in ('cause let's face it, a lot of older kids will never be adopted), setting up a trust or scholarship fund for needy children who'd like to pursue higher education...

Even if for no other reason than to get good publicity, I'd do this. It boggles my mind that Paris lives in her own little world where no one else matters...and certainly not those unhawt poor people!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-02-2007 at 01:37 PM.

Lawyer: Diaz Made Criss Angel's Marriage Disappear - Today's News: My Take | TVGuide.com

The lawyer for Criss Angel's estranged/"secret" wife, Joanna Sarantakos, claimed in court late last week that a romance between the "Mindfreak" and a Charlie's Angel was the last straw for the magic man's five-year marriage/15-year relationship. "We're naming Cameron Diaz as his lover," the New York Post quotes attorney Dominic Barbara as telling the court. "We will subpoena her as soon as she comes back to New York."

Though Angel went to great lengths last month (including in this chat with TV Guide) to quell speculation about comments he directed at Diaz following a Times Square escape illusion, his lawyer is not denying the adultery allegation.

Barbara also claims that Angel gave Sarantakos nary a cent of his $7 million earnings last year, "which is tragic."

I also found it interesting when she said she's not a big drinker, but I'm sorry 0.8 in alcohol level is quite a lot. Not getting really wasted, but it's not one drink.
    Except her level was actually .08, not .8. .8 could actually kill someone.

For someone her weight (lets figure just over 100 pounds), .08 could be two drinks. It COULD be called "one drink" if the person was intellectually challenged, as she is, and was drinking a "double" (or more).

Remember that "one drink" is 12 ounces of beer. But who drinks only 12 ounces? People get a big pint of it and call it one drink. Or wine... I think 5 oz. is considered "one drink". But even if you fill only ONE wine glass all the way it might be twice that.

The key to Paris' situation is that she'd previously been pulled over for reckless driving, and while her .08 impairment was only just barely legally drunk, she was reportedly visibly intoxicated, thus she was given a field sobriety test, which she failed.

In other words, while she deserved to be pulled over, facts are facts. She was only marginally drunk, but her physiology obviously couldn't handle it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2458259;
    Sounds like you have some great kids, kat. My brother and his family live in one of the wealthier suburbs around here and can afford to buy their two oldest kids their own cars. But the two kids share a car and paid for it themselves. They also have jobs, help their church with the needy, have to babysit their younger sister, and pay for their own insurance and gas. When a car dinged their car, my brother and sister in law had them (the kids) call the insurance company and deal with it--to teach them how to deal with life. Now obviously, my brother and sister in law were always around to supervise if the kids needed help or had a question about what to ask the insurance company... But when they go off to college, they will know how to pay their own bills, budget their expenses etc.
    !
    You know, they really are pretty good boys. They don't give me a lot of trouble. But then again, I don't let them give me a lot of trouble. The real test will be when they are out on their own. I guess there is still a chance all my efforts could go to hell, but I'm trying every day to not let that happen.

Lois, your brother and his wife sound like great parents. Teaching kids responsibility before they fly the coop is an asset. We all want our children to be independant and able to take care of themselves when they grow up. I don't think the Hiltons have done that with Paris.

+ Reply to Thread