Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Poo-hoo, she isn't life of the potty

News learns Paris didn't eat or drink out of fear guards would take pix

BY MICHELLE CARUSO
    DAILY NEWS WEST COAST BUREAU

Sunday, June 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

LOS ANGELES - It was apparently the one time she was camera-shy.

Paris Hilton was so terrified guards would snap a cell-phone picture of her on the toilet that she didn't eat or drink for three days, which left her facing a life-threatening collapse, a source told the Daily News. She also was not taking prescribed medication while in jail, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca said.

The stainless steel lavatory in the hotel heiress' 12-foot-by-8-foot cell was in plain view of a large window in the door, which guards could look through 24 hours a day.

"She was absolutely terrified that one of the guards or staffers would get her with the cell-phone cam and it would wind up on the Internet," a Hilton insider said yesterday.

"She didn't eat or drink a single thing for three days because she didn't want to use the toilet. She was in real danger."

Hilton also suffered from "extreme claustrophobia" and began hyperventilating and freaking out.

"She cried the entire time, and that wasn't helping the dehydration," the source said.

Jail medical officials became concerned that severe dehydration and a buildup of waste and toxins in Hilton's body could cause a complete collapse and "even kill her," the source said.

Baca suggested Hilton was on suicide watch last night, saying she would be kept under close scrutiny to ensure "there isn't anything harmful done to herself by herself, which is a great concern to me."

Baca said Friday that Hilton's "psychological problems" were worsened by the fact that she was not getting a "particular medication" she normally takes.

Judge Michael Sauer didn't buy the medical excuse, sending Hilton back to jail on Friday to serve the remainder of her 45-day sentence. She could serve just over two weeks with time off for good behavior.

She spent yesterday heavily sedated in the medical wing of L.A.'s Twin Towers jail, a source close to her told The News.

The Rev. Al Sharpton, who said he was in California this weekend for previously scheduled events, said yesterday he'll meet with the sheriff tomorrow about the larger issues surrounding Hilton's case.

Sharpton told The News he plans to ask about possible discrepancies in how prisoners of different races and economic classes are treated.

"I will present cases to him and ask why these cases didn't warrant the same consideration [as Hilton's]," Sharpton said.

Meanwhile, Hilton's friends in the Hollywood party set were losing no time trying to steal her socialite crown.

"Although her friends are saying supportive things in public, behind her back they're saying she's faking it," said the insider.

"Paris is the queen bee of her clique in Hollywood. ... Now she's not there, there is a lot of jostling for her crown. Nicole Richie is planning parties, Kimberly Stewart is planning parties, Kim Kardashian is planning parties.

"Thank God [Lindsay Lohan] is in rehab."

Hilton's lawyer had been expected to file an appeal.

But in a statement last night, Paris said she would serve her time.

mcaruso@nydailynews.com

With Adam Nichols and Ben Widdicombe in New York
    News learns Paris didn't eat or drink out of fear guards would take pix

I actually don't put the whole potty picture thing beyond some guard at the prison.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

"Paris is the queen bee of her clique in Hollywood. ... Now she's not there, there is a lot of jostling for her crown. Nicole Richie is planning parties, Kimberly Stewart is planning parties, Kim Kardashian is planning parties.

"Thank God [Lindsay Lohan] is in rehab."
    I have no idea why but this statement had me snickering loudly
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2436342;
    The Rev. Al Sharpton, who said he was in California this weekend for previously scheduled events, said yesterday he'll meet with the sheriff tomorrow about the larger issues surrounding Hilton's case.
    Go home Al Sharpton.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2436342;
    But in a statement last night, Paris said she would serve her time.
    How good of her, since, like, she HAS to.

at Blues re: Al Sharpton. The guy is a pig, but he does have a point in this case. He's going to grab a number of people currently sitting in the LA jail system with similar convictions and serious medical problems and ask Sheriff Baca why they aren't released to house arrest. More power to him, and I'd love to hear the explanation. As long as he doesn't dilute the freaking waters by pulling examples with more serious convictions....
    Last edited by Broadway; 06-11-2007 at 07:30 AM.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2435819;
    I'm not normally too interested in the goings-on of the Royal Family, but they're not usually this close to my home. Plus, I'm tired of you-know-who.

Calgarians wild about Harry, Cherie

Prince Harry's been in the news a fair bit recently - there was a huge to-do about him not serving in Iraq because it was felt his entire unit would have a target on their backs if the Prince was known to be particpating in the war.

I actually do have sympathy for Harry and his brother - they don't seek out celebrity but they're in the fishbowl all the same. I haven't liked all of Harry's behaviour, but imagine a serviceman not even being able to flirt with a pretty bartender unless you want it plastered all over the media the next day.
    I found it funny that in her interview with the Canadian press she said he was a gentleman who just gave her a chaste kiss on the cheek. Suddenly she sells her story to the British press and the whole encounter becomes a lot more lascivious. Not at all suspicious.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Alright, for the sake of clarity I should explain what I am criticizing and what I am not criticizing. It's a fair point that I am coming across as confrontational. I am not trying to confront any one person. I am not criticizing any one here for talking about Paris, nor am I accusing any one person here of not being sufficiently interested in other issues.

But I am criticizing the media for covering Paris at the expense of other news. Phoenix1964 highlighted the news programs guilty of it (Fox, MSNBC, CNN, Scarborough, Tucker, Katie Couric, Anderson Cooper, Larry King, Nancy Grace, Olbermann, etc.) Some of those programs, like Larry King or Nancy Grace, have a format where discussion of this topic would be expected. I've aleady touched on the points of how I feel about that enough to not need to repeat myself.

But what I am criticizing the most, and what some here may feel is the most confrontational aspect, is the social mechanism of scapegoating and what I see as genuine bloodlust to see Paris suffer. Hence my Marie Antoinette analogy.

The other day I was watching Jesus Christ Superstar, and I couldn't help but think of Paris when Pilate was being demanded to crucify Jesus. (You are the Ceasar, you have the duty, to keep the peace so crucify her.) If it seems absurd to compare Paris to Jesus or Marie Antoinette, perhaps it is, but it is to make a larger point. Society too easily allows its rage to get misdirected towards objects unrelated and irrelevant to the source of their rage. That's what I see happening with Paris. All week the media craftily ignored the larger issues facing our nation to cover something that adequately stirred public ire in a direction divergent from issues that would really make the public angry (and it's not because Paris is more profitable, considering every time they covered her I changed the channel.) And the public is more than willing to be misdirected, perhaps as a form of escapism as has been suggested.

So as annoying as it is, I feel I must be John shouting from the well. I believe the points I made were missing from the discussion, and I'll let them speak for themselves.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2436619;
    But what I am criticizing the most, and what some here may feel is the most confrontational aspect, is the social mechanism of scapegoating and what I see as genuine bloodlust to see Paris suffer. Hence my Marie Antoinette analogy.
    I can understand your concern even if I don't agree with it.

I don't think it's fair to compare this momentary spasm regarding Paris to the ire many of us feel towards those responsible for a war that has gone on for many years now. Yes, for the moment, some of us think it's important to hold Paris to the same standards to which the rest of us are held. To make the statement that, money and celebrity don't entitle you to preferential treatment just because you've deluded fans into believing you are 'special'. Regardless of your lack of talent and accomplishment. However, doing so does not lessen our ability to pay attention to other ills in the world.

Paris broke the law, on more than one occasion, and then tried to use her celebrity to avoid the consequences. She's been thwarted in that mission, and as a result, the inordinately heavy media coverage of the controversy has faded away. As it should have. Well, except for places like this thread.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2436580;
    I found it funny that in her interview with the Canadian press she said he was a gentleman who just gave her a chaste kiss on the cheek. Suddenly she sells her story to the British press and the whole encounter becomes a lot more lascivious. Not at all suspicious.
    No kidding. Apparently she's an "aspiring model" type who's panting to be in Maxim. Though I guess if I was a barmaid and saw a chance to make a quick $30K I would take it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I thought this article from Yahoo! News made some good points about celebrities and their publicists:
    Is the new Paris really a humble Paris? - Yahoo! News

I especially liked this: "Experience has taught me that celebrities respect wisdom but obey pain. What I mean by that is that when they feel the heat they see the light."

ETA: I do feel sorry for Paris in that her parents have given her NO tools to become a responsible and humble person. When you raise a child with such a sense of entitlement and no sense of accountability or responsibility, this is what happens. Of course, that doesn't explain Nicky - she seems to be able to keep herself out of trouble.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2436694;
    I can understand your concern even if I don't agree with it.

I don't think it's fair to compare this momentary spasm regarding Paris to the ire many of us feel towards those responsible for a war that has gone on for many years now. Yes, for the moment, some of us think it's important to hold Paris to the same standards to which the rest of us are held. To make the statement that, money and celebrity don't entitle you to preferential treatment just because you've deluded fans into believing you are 'special'. Regardless of your lack of talent and accomplishment. However, doing so does not lessen our ability to pay attention to other ills in the world.

Paris broke the law, on more than one occasion, and then tried to use her celebrity to avoid the consequences. She's been thwarted in that mission, and as a result, the inordinately heavy media coverage of the controversy has faded away. As it should have. Well, except for places like this thread.
    It that was true and diversionary news tactics doesn't work then we and I mean all of americans not just us on this board would not have been led into this war. The news sortof reminds me of Rome and the games at the colliseum. Emperors started having more and more games up to a 150 a year which were consider holidays to pacify the public and distract them from the ills of their empire and the problems they had. We all know what happen after that. A democracy is a as strong as it's well informed people are. A majority of Americans only have access to network and expanded basic cable news. So if you are feed a diet of tripe you become tripe.

+ Reply to Thread