+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4617Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2435822;
    So you admit it's not really about justice in a broader application of the word, but more about personally hurting Paris. Do you really think we're somehow safer now that Paris is behind bars?

.....The rabble believes....
    No, I never admit to anything that I'm not guilty of. I'm funny that way. It's entirely about justice, and justice is not completely about 'us' being "safer" with the lawbreaker "behind bars". It's also about punishment for the offenders. I guess I'm just rabble, though.

Broadway...It's a shame you overlooked my point to instead take a sarcastic swipe at me. ......I do think people should feel some bit of shame for getting so wrapped up in hating Paris while ignoring the bigger issues that affect us.
    Actually, Broadway addressed your point quite precisely, matching sarcasm with sarcasm, a perfectly valid method of replying. I also have to say it's a bit ironic and hypocritical to make self-righteous swipes at other "people" who are discussing Paris Hilton when you are also discussing it.

And believe it or not, people are perfectly capable of appreciation of and being involved in world news, while at the same time being able to discuss and enjoy the lighter sides of current events. In fact, if a person can't stop now and then to talk about something as silly as a stupid celebutante's self-inflicted woes if they want to, then I feel really bad for them. Most people are versatile and well-rounded enough that they can actually discuss a wide variety of subjects without taking away from any of them.

And as Broadway and others have said... Iraq and the other world events have never left the news during all this. Far far from it.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2435853;
    ... the flies are all over the pile.
    Ohhh, visual image alert! Great phrase, jasmar!
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

It's a shame you overlooked my point to instead take a sarcastic swipe at me. It's fine if you want to read Star magazine, where this kind of story belongs, but the nightly news shouldn't devote 70% of its broadcasting to something that has virtually no impact on us as a nation. Men and women dying is more important than an errant heiress.
    I'm sure you meant to take the media to task for the abundance of 'Paris' coverage, but whether you intended it or not, for some of us, your comments came across as a personal attack. All due respect, I, and others, are perfectly capable of commenting on several topics in the same day. In fact, I'm willing to guess you make comments in threads that have nothing to do with the war and other important topics.

Because I, and others, choose to stay informed about and comment on what we see as a continuing decline is society does not mean we are incapable of also searching out news regarding and making our voices heard about the war in Iraq. I've made several comments in other threads about how we should have never gotten into this war, and how I believe we should get out immediately. My Myspace page is a testament to that cause. Yet, I can watch and comment on, reality television shows also.

Do I wish there was more media coverage of the war and how both Democrats and Republicans are responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans? Of course I do. However, the media will always give the public what it asks for.

I don't argue with your right to your opinion, I just think it came across as a bit confrontational.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

It's evident that we the people can search out other news but Friday it was clearly evident the the major news stations weren't able to give the public a diversity of current news. I wondered how many solider's died that day. Why was Pace really being replaced, Why did the Libby judge say Libby might be facing more jail time, What's with Obama's statement of "quite riots" meant, and Putin's idea regarding changing one of the missile defense system site to another, just some of the news not covered in depth on Friday.

It doesn't matter who wrote the statement, it raises a good point. Plenty of people know how many days Paris is supposed to be in jail, but can you tell me how many more of our men and women in service lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan since Paris was released and re-incarcerated? How many Iraqis died in sectarian violence? Who resigned from the Administration? Who is being nominated for new positions within the government?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I can for me and I'll tell you....I cannot focus my whole attention on the war. I just can't. I have to have other means of distraction, including current events and gossip of the celebrities. I support our troops and think the war has gone on too long, but if I dwell on it 24/7, I would be a total nutcase and depressed beyond help.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Sheriff has reality all of his own

Los Angeles County sheriff could have reality show potential

BY MICHAEL DALY
    DAILY NEWS COLUMNIST

Sunday, June 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

The Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca is making his department available for five reality TV shows.

That's right, five.

But only a New York newspaper guy would suggest Baca's decision to free the pouty princess of reality TV from his jail was influenced by his involvement in the recently premiered "The Academy" as well as the upcoming "L.A. Homicide," "The Assignment," "The Real CSI" and "Sheriff's Stories."

A Los Angeles TV guy would see a fabulous opportunity to produce a sixth show: "Sheriff to the Stars." The central figure would be the lawman who became a champion of celebrity rights when he freed Paris Hilton just three days into her 45-day sentence.

"My message to those who don't like celebrities is that punishing celebrities more than the average American is not justice," Baca declared.

The financial arrangement for "Sheriff to the Stars" could be the same as with "Sheriff's Stories," where the producers pledge to pay the county 22% of their profits.

Of course, the producer might be expected to give Baca the occasional gift. He has accepted some $45,000 in freebies on top of his $285,000 salary, employing celebrity-esque logic to excuse himself from the departmental prohibition against gratuities of any kind.

"They think I need to gain weight with all the food," he told the Los Angeles Times. "They think that I'm stressed out. 'You need to golf.'"

Baca has golfed on the arm with Michael Douglas as well as the aptly named Dr. Gary Alter, a sex-change surgeon who stars in the reality show "Dr. 90210." Baca and Alter could break new ground in reality TV by having a round appear in both "Dr. 90210" and "Sheriff to the Stars."

Other episodes could feature Baca renewing the pistol permits he issued to Sylvester Stallone and Ben Affleck. Baca could reminisce about the Mel Gibson controversy, when a deputy was pressured to excise the actor's anti-Semitic remarks from an arrest report. The cameras could follow Baca as he toadies at the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes.

Los Angeles County sheriff could have reality show potential
    For the rest of the article click on the link.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2436015;
    Baca has golfed on the arm with Michael Douglas as well as the aptly named Dr. Gary Alter, a sex-change surgeon who stars in the reality show "Dr. 90210." Baca and Alter could break new ground in reality TV by having a round appear in both "Dr. 90210" and "Sheriff to the Stars."
    oh. my. gawd.

i enjoy my share of reality shows (big brother, survivor, etc) but c'mon ... there's just TOO MANY "reality" shows out already!! they're digging from the bottom of the barrel for ideas now!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2435941;
    It's evident that we the people can search out other news but Friday it was clearly evident the the major news stations weren't able to give the public a diversity of current news. I wondered how many solider's died that day. Why was Pace really being replaced, Why did the Libby judge say Libby might be facing more jail time, What's with Obama's statement of "quite riots" meant, and Putin's idea regarding changing one of the missile defense system site to another, just some of the news not covered in depth on Friday.
    Can you name the answers to those questions any better today than you could on Friday afternoon? And as long as people are throwing out percentages willy-nilly, I'd venture into that fray to say that I would think 95% of Americans couldn't answer how many soldiers died on any certain day. Sad, but true.

I really do not understand what television shows you all were watching on Friday, but Paris Hilton garnered possibly 1 minute every 15 minute news segment on the stations here in Detroit on Friday. CNN had exhausted the majority of their coverage by 4pm EDT. And they certainly didn't devote 70% of the ABC Nightly News at 6:30pm to Paris. Even ET didn't dedicate 70% of their Friday coverage. By Saturday if I saw a Paris Hilton blurb I was "lucky."

It's all well and good to want to take what one perceives to be the high road with an issue that is predominantly negative. But exaggeration and misrepresentation of the facts doesn't help anyone's cause.

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;2436019;
    ...there's just TOO MANY "reality" shows out already!! they're digging from the bottom of the barrel for ideas now!
    Too true, too true

Now they even have reality shows about reality shows. And you can even have them sent to your mobile phone!

Too many, too many.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2436027;
    Can you name the answers to those questions any better today than you could on Friday afternoon? And as long as people are throwing out percentages willy-nilly, I'd venture into that fray to say that I would think 95% of Americans couldn't answer how many soldiers died on any certain day. Sad, but true.

I really do not understand what television shows you all were watching on Friday, but Paris Hilton garnered possibly 1 minute every 15 minute news segment on the stations here in Detroit on Friday. CNN had exhausted the majority of their coverage by 4pm EDT. And they certainly didn't devote 70% of the ABC Nightly News at 6:30pm to Paris. Even ET didn't dedicate 70% of their Friday coverage. By Saturday if I saw a Paris Hilton blurb I was "lucky."

It's all well and good to want to take what one perceives to be the high road with an issue that is predominantly negative. But exaggeration and misrepresentation of the facts doesn't help anyone's cause.
    MSNBC, CNN and FOx spent the majority of their time that day and well into the evening with Tucker, Chris Mathews, Hannity and Colmes, Nancy Grace, Larry King and Anderson Cooper on Paris. MSNBC had the gall to preempt the Pace resignation announcement to get back to Paris. Most Americans still get the major news for tv. Local tv doesnot devote much of their minutes to national news anyway. Fox was making jokes on how Brian Williams was going to try to avoid mentioning Paris. They had Ann Couter on discussing Paris and frankly she was an idiot because she kept on saying Paris wasnot on Probation. People were babbling about this without much information or new news. They were saying it was representive of the OJ and MJ trials. But funny thing is that the majority of people outside her house weren't fans but news reporters and papparizzi. At least with OJ and MJ, I can see the flimsy excuse for news to cover because there was great interest and thousand of fans outside the courthouse during those trials. Now we are covering the news reporters devouring the police car for a picture.

Again, most americans still don't use the internet for their news and since it's the public airwave they have the responsiblity to cover a diversity of news. I fear Edward Morrow was right, news has become entertainment. And please stop trying to bait me with do I know the answer to the questions posed. I wouldn't of raised them if I didn't.

+ Reply to Thread