+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5271Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

As far as I'm concerned, since this whole DUI issue started, Paris' actions have never matched her words. So she can throw all the words out there that she wants (no matter who writes them) about how she's learned her lesson, blah, blah, blah, but until her actions live up to them, they are meaningless.

It doesn't matter who wrote the statement, it raises a good point. Plenty of people know how many days Paris is supposed to be in jail, but can you tell me how many more of our men and women in service lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan since Paris was released and re-incarcerated? How many Iraqis died in sectarian violence? Who resigned from the Administration? Who is being nominated for new positions within the government? The media loves the Paris debacle because it keeps them from having to report the real issues and asking the tough questions. Despite all the scripted grumbling from anchorpersons whenever they report it, they still report it.

I commend Paris for not appealing her case, and I send nothing but prayers and sympathy to her as she goes through what will clearly not be an easy ordeal for her. In the meantime, I'd love for the national debate to rise above spitting on debutantes.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2435801;
    .... sympathy to her as she goes through what will clearly not be an easy ordeal for her.
    No sympathy from me, and yes, thank goodness it will not/has not been an easy "ordeal" for her. Punishment isn't supposed to be easy. As dumb as she is, maybe even she will at least come out of this thinking twice before she flagrantly breaks the law again, and perhaps even her equally moronic celebupals such as Nicole and Lindsay might get a clue and think twice about doing the same.

Yes, thank goodness this is not an "easy ordeal" for her.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I'm not normally too interested in the goings-on of the Royal Family, but they're not usually this close to my home. Plus, I'm tired of you-know-who.

Calgarians wild about Harry, Cherie

Calgarians wild about Harry, Cherie
    Private dining room booked -- manager

Prince Harry and Calgary bartender Cherie Cymbalisty had a reservation for a private room at a local restaurant Saturday, said the establishment's manager. But it wasn't clear if the pair appeared.

"At this point he has a private area (reserved) in the Geisha room," Wild Ginger manager Steve Tokos said.

Cymbalisty made the reservation earlier this week, he said.

Contacted later Saturday evening, Tokos said he was asked to not comment any further on the prince, and wouldn't confirm if the pair showed up at the downtown Calgary eatery.

The reservation comes on the heels of a racy story published by an British tabloid about the young bartender's visit with the prince in Calgary earlier this week.

The lengthy story, which slams the prince for partying while British soldiers are dying in Iraq, appeared online on the News of the World's website. The report includes numerous pictures of the prince posing with, and kissing, women at Cowboys, a popular Calgary nightspot.

Cymbalisty described her initial meeting with the son of Prince Charles and the late Diana, Princess of Wales.

"I told him, 'You look like someone.' He laughed and said, 'Really, who do I look like?' It was then I realized he was Prince Harry -- but he joked his name was Gary," Cymbalisty told the News of the World. "He was obsessed about my outfit.

"He said there were so many beautiful women in Cowboys," Cymbalisty told the News of the World. "But for the most part, he kept looking at me, shaking his head and going, 'Wow!' I started to get embarrassed."

The pair were supposed to attend a party together afterward, but the story says Cymbalisty was too tired and went home.

Previous reports said the prince arrived with friends late and stayed until closing, marvelling at the lack of media scrutiny.

Many Cowboys staff didn't recognize the prince at first, including the bouncers, who checked the prince's passport to make sure he was old enough to enter.

Cowboys manager Doug Donald said the British tabloid greatly exaggerated the entire encounter.

"They're sure mean to that kid," Donald said Saturday. "He was a gentleman the whole time. He wasn't slobbering over girls -- that's pretty unfair.

"I would just absolutely hate to have to live in that fishbowl that I'm sure he does," he said.

The Cowboys visit is the only confirmed Calgary sighting of Harry.

Penny Lane Entertainment Group lawyer Christopher Chan claimed the prince visited Tantra nightclub the day before, and Barb Taks thought she saw the prince riding a bike on Highway 22 near Cochrane on Friday.

Harry's visit to Alberta has attracted international attention, feeding a growing frenzy for any information about his whereabouts while participating in British army exercises at CFB Suffield, 250 kilometres southeast of Calgary.

Recent reports out of England have said Harry's training in Alberta is a precursor to deployment in Afghanistan.

The Times of London reported that army officials are hoping Harry can make a quiet transfer to Afghanistan possible.

The prince was recently prevented from serving with British units in Iraq due to the increased risk his presence would have brought.
    Prince Harry's been in the news a fair bit recently - there was a huge to-do about him not serving in Iraq because it was felt his entire unit would have a target on their backs if the Prince was known to be particpating in the war.

I actually do have sympathy for Harry and his brother - they don't seek out celebrity but they're in the fishbowl all the same. I haven't liked all of Harry's behaviour, but imagine a serviceman not even being able to flirt with a pretty bartender unless you want it plastered all over the media the next day.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Silly me never realized that the tragedy in Iraq had ever left national debate. In my own little apparently culturally unaware mind I simply thought that talking about celebrities and hoping for celebrity justice was just a form of escapism to keep from having to talk about the tragedy in Iraq 24/7.

I must give myself a slap upside the head and learn to ignore celebrity and entertainment news because they should hold absolutely no relevance for national discussion, nor even discussion on an entertainment message board. Celebrities must only be talked about when it is for the good works they do, not for dwelling on the negative.

Tsk, tsk, Broadway. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2435812;
    No sympathy from me, and yes, thank goodness it will not/has not been an easy "ordeal" for her. Punishment isn't supposed to be easy. As dumb as she is, maybe even she will at least come out of this thinking twice before she flagrantly breaks the law again, and perhaps even her equally moronic celebupals such as Nicole and Lindsay might get a clue and think twice about doing the same.

Yes, thank goodness this is not an "easy ordeal" for her.
    So you admit it's not really about justice in a broader application of the word, but more about personally hurting Paris. Do you really think we're somehow safer now that Paris is behind bars?

Paris is our modern day Marie Antoinette. The rabble believes by taking her head, justice will be restored and all will be right with the world, but she's a scapegoat for our fears and insecurities. While the people who perpetuate the real injustice and inequality go unnoticed, we feel better taking our rage out on some hapless socialite.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Silly me never realized that the tragedy in Iraq had ever left national debate. In my own little apparently culturally unaware mind I simply thought that talking about celebrities and hoping for celebrity justice was just a form of escapism to keep from having to talk about the tragedy in Iraq 24/7.

I must give myself a slap upside the head and learn to ignore celebrity and entertainment news because they should hold absolutely no relevance for national discussion, nor even discussion on an entertainment message board. Celebrities must only be talked about when it is for the good works they do, not for dwelling on the negative.

Tsk, tsk, Broadway. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    It's a shame you overlooked my point to instead take a sarcastic swipe at me. It's fine if you want to read Star magazine, where this kind of story belongs, but the nightly news shouldn't devote 70% of its broadcasting to something that has virtually no impact on us as a nation. Men and women dying is more important than an errant heiress. That has real impact on families, communities, and national integrity at large. I'll say again, the world isn't a safer place now that Paris is in jail, and I do think people should feel some bit of shame for getting so wrapped up in hating Paris while ignoring the bigger issues that affect us.
    Last edited by corprip; 06-10-2007 at 01:59 PM.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2435819;
    I actually do have sympathy for Harry and his brother - they don't seek out celebrity but they're in the fishbowl all the same. I haven't liked all of Harry's behaviour, but imagine a serviceman not even being able to flirt with a pretty bartender unless you want it plastered all over the media the next day.

me too ... and i respected the guy for WANTING to be like everyone else and go to iraq. i wish america's "royalty" would take a hint.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2435801;
    It doesn't matter who wrote the statement, it raises a good point. Plenty of people know how many days Paris is supposed to be in jail, but can you tell me how many more of our men and women in service lost their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan since Paris was released and re-incarcerated? How many Iraqis died in sectarian violence? Who resigned from the Administration? Who is being nominated for new positions within the government? The media loves the Paris debacle because it keeps them from having to report the real issues and asking the tough questions. Despite all the scripted grumbling from anchorpersons whenever they report it, they still report it.

I commend Paris for not appealing her case, and I send nothing but prayers and sympathy to her as she goes through what will clearly not be an easy ordeal for her. In the meantime, I'd love for the national debate to rise above spitting on debutantes.
    It's not the media's fault as much as the consuming public's. Media outlets produce what sells. People don't want to be troubled with thinking out real issues, to a great extent. And if there's a real, juicy government scandal (especially if it involves a Republican administration), the flies are all over the pile. But with only everyday news like child abuse, a failed educational system, the national and international forced sex trade… Paris sells better.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2435822;
    It's fine if you want to read Star magazine, where this kind of story belongs, but the nightly news shouldn't devote 70% of its broadcasting to something that has virtually no impact on us as a nation. Men and women dying is more important than an errant heiress. That has real impact on families, communities, and national integrity at large. I'll say again, the world isn't a safer place now that Paris is in jail, and I do think people should feel some bit of shame for getting so wrapped up in hating Paris while ignoring the bigger issues that affect us.
    I wouldn't put the Paris saga on a level even close to what's happening in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those issues are very close to me right now, as my daughter is going to boot camp tomorrow and could very well end up serving in one of those conflicts. It's a shame that 70% of news space is taken up with stories of the drunk and disorderly conduct of Paris, Lindsey, Nicole and Britney. Since it is, however, I think there is some importance in showing our youth that no matter who you are, there are consequences for poor behavior. It's not as important, obviously, but it does have some relevance.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2435822;
    It's a shame you overlooked my point to instead take a sarcastic swipe at me. It's fine if you want to read Star magazine, where this kind of story belongs, but the nightly news shouldn't devote 70% of its broadcasting to something that has virtually no impact on us as a nation. Men and women dying is more important than an errant heiress. That has real impact on families, communities, and national integrity at large. I'll say again, the world isn't a safer place now that Paris is in jail, and I do think people should feel some bit of shame for getting so wrapped up in hating Paris while ignoring the bigger issues that affect us.
    I didn't overlook your point at all. Your point is well made, albeit quite exaggerated. Yes, while it was occuring there was quite a bit of mention made out of the situation on CNN, but there was nowhere near 70% of broadcasting efforts devoted to Paris Hilton, unless people get their news solely from entertainment sources such as tmz and perez hilton.

The news coverage that did get provided to the Paris Hilton situation did so equally due to the fascinating legal conflicts in the issue and not solely because anyone wanted to see "Paris Hilton" be torn down. And they managed to do so in addition to the bigger issues that affect us, not to the exclusion of.

+ Reply to Thread