+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5064Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I totally agree with Miss Roveno's closing. Or at least want to, because incarcerating someone in my view has absolutely no connection with atonement. I consider that an internal process, not something which can be inflicted upon one unprepared or unwilling.

I'm now waiting less than breathlessly to discover whether Nicole Richie was just blowing smoke when she indicated that she is a essentially a Jailbird-in-Waiting, just like the rest of us that just haven't gotten around to doing our time behind bars, seeing as she views it as something everybody does.

If she was speaking truthfully, she'd probably spare us and herself the drama that Hilton generated yesterday. If we're all destined for jail at some point anyway, going can't be that much of a biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by FireWoman;2435062;
    With all due respect.. how on earth is this spoiledl il rich brat a role model? What has she ever done to earn that title? Party Girl is more like it.
    Oh, I didn't say she deserved to be a role model! But unfortunately, plenty of young girls look up to her and think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread (and with that little chestnut, I date myself!). She's the poster child of the new American mantra, style over substance.
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jasmar;2435048;
    I still don't feel sorry for Paris at this point. She's a role model, which until now she's exploited for all its worth. She has an extensive (lifelong) history of elitism that makes the old English peerage system look downright classy (and that's quite a feat). She certainly was raised to think nothing less of herself, but that's no excuse for her adult behavior.

She brought every bit of this on herself. If she had owned up to the original issues by following through with the alcohol diversion program and not driving, it would have ended there. Even when it came to the events of the last couple of days, if she hadn't spent the last ten years carefully cultivating the bitchy, entitled American princess image, there would have been little reason for the uproar. In other words, she happily (until now, when things have turned on her) made herself a target.

As a lost human being, I do feel for her. But I'm utterly unconvinced that she's hit anything close to rock bottom. It's hard to feel empathy toward people who thoroughly believe that they're inherently more valuable to humanity than Jane Hooker in the cell down the hall. Not very Christ-like of me. I guess I know what my issues are to work on!
    I agree with everything you've said in this post.

I'm glad she's back in jail paying the price for her misdeeds. She doesn't deserve special treatment. She needs to suck it up like the rest of us. And, if her medical problem is indeed claustrophobia, I council her to just imagine herself in that tiny sports car she drives.

However, I have to say, when I saw the video of her being driven off, crying uncontrollably, in obvious anguish, I felt sorry for her. At that moment all of the rational reasons to hold her to account were shoved to the back and my natural instinct to 'worry' for a human being racked with that much pain took over.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fogey

I'd like to believe that this whole experience will change Paris. I'd like to think that seeing the ugly, aggressive side of the paparazzi giving her all that unwanted attention would make her really see the dark side of the life and personna that she's been courting and nurturing all these years. To me, it would be normal human nature for this experience to be a wake up call for her to change her ways not just as a little party girl, but also in the shallow, material-drive "love me for being me" ways. If that would happen, I would likely find myself feeling really really sorry for the girl in the back of the police car yesterday. However, I truly doubt that it's going to change her all that much. I think she'll play the "I've changed" role for about a month, and then go right back to being party-Paris, posing for the paparazzi. And for that, I guess I should really feel sorry for her. But since she is completely in control of having gone down that road, and choosing to continue down it, it's hard to give her a lot of sympathy.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

California taxpayers are far more upset about death row inmates, killers of children, being kept alive for over a decade as their appeals crawl through the system. That's upsetting. California taxpayers are not fretting about Paris Hilton's burden on the budget.

I think putting Paris in jail and keeping her there for her whole sentence would do her some good. I'm pretty sure she won't be any big hurry to repeat a sentence like that. Not only is it stressful and upsetting, I'm sure, but it's also humiliating. Hopefully, she learns something from this experience. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well, I guess I'm just a hard-A because I have not had one moment that I've felt sorry for her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Jennifer Rovero probably has so much sympathy for Paris because her personality and values are very similar to hers ! However, she might want to consider that one likely difference is that Paris would never write a letter to help anyone but herself! And, she would have that letter written by an assistant so she can hide her bad grammar from all the people she considers peons.
    Last edited by skynet5000; 06-09-2007 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Added the letter writer's name

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2422730;
    I adored CNR and thought that he was hilarious! I loved him on Match Game...him and Richard Dawson made that show...

RIP Mr. Reilly
    I met Charles Nelson Reilly several years ago when he was directing "Die Fledermaus" for the opera company I worked for. He came into our offices and was the most charming, sweet man I had ever met. I am very saddened by his death.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2433661;
    You bring up something that really gets to the heart of what bothers me so much about the furor over Paris. Does the justice system exist as a means of satisfying the desire of the public, or does it serve a higher cause of punishment and rehabilitation? From the beginning, Paris was treated differently, and I don't mean favorably. I think the judge was being unfairly harsh because of who she is, not because of the merits of the case. The standing ovation he received at church tells me he was making more of a socio-political statement than serving any higher ideal of justice.
    I live in California. My step-daughter got a DUI about four years ago. In the subsequent months (while her license was suspended) she was cited twice for driving on a suspended license, which was a probation violation. Pretty much the same scenario as with Paris. She also was sentenced to about 45 days in jail.

Paris didn't get anything that any other person in a similar situation. My step-daughter did her time, and I didn't feel sorry for her for having to do it. Paris should do the same. Jail wasn't fun for my step-daughter, but you better believe she doesn't drink and drive AND she quit driving until her license was valid.

My biggest question in all of this is with her parents. They have raised this narcissistic, irresponsible egomaniac with a huge sense of entitlement and they continue to enable her. They should be telling her to shut up and do her time like any other citizen would have to do. It's time Paris Hilton grew up.

+ Reply to Thread