+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4587Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

I hate to see ANYONE sufferring, even if it is Paris. Yes, I hate her for being so priviliged. But I have spent a night in jail. (No ,I won't give the dirty details! Okay, I beat up Jason Wahler- kidding!)
    But the fact remains that Paris was certainly not given preferential treatment.
    Go Tigers!

FORT Fogey

I too spent a night in jail. And like I said before, if she can't do the time don't do the crime. Stop crying and calling for mommy to fix everything. She is a spoiled brat would should of been raised better by her parents. Now the legal system has to take over that responsiblity.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2434610;
    I just had to post the picture of her in the police car.

Thanks, Unkle, for the new wallpaper!

ETA: That's HOT!
    Last edited by WomynLee; 06-08-2007 at 10:01 PM.

Somewhere in the middle of the North Atlantic

I'm finding myself on the fence about the judge's decision. I'll admit that I follow celebrity gossip but, more often than not, I become interested in these types of stories because I find the legal issues so interesting. I've been watching MSNBC. The sheriff was talking about how he had the right to let a person (in Paris's situation) out after they had served 10% of their time (which is what usually happens). Okay, fine. But what he didn't say is that, pursuant to the California Penal Code, the judge has the power to put restrictions on how a person serves their time (no electronic monitoring, no "pay to stay" jail, etc.). So, it seems that the question is now whether the judge abused his discretion. I need to hear more to decide for myself whether I feel he did, or not. One of the analysts (I believe it was Shapiro) was saying that it's almost unheard of for a judge to refuse a person in Paris's situation the option of going to a "pay to stay" jail, or to disallow the option of electronic monitoring. At this point, I don't believe he abused his discretion, but I'm now open to the fact that he may have (unfairly?) made an example of her.

They showed a little snippet of her mother being interviewed on the "Today" show a couple of years back. She was saying that Paris is a good businesswoman. For some reason, I had this picture of her arriving at the office with her Barbie backpack, notebooks, and stickers. LOL!

FORT Fogey

The bigger issue is the sheriff overiding the judges' court order which said no electronic bracelet. And interesting why didn't he go to the judge to ammend the court order and only notified the court upon the release of Paris not before. Now, he is trying to cover with the weak overcrowding issue and her mental condition. There are thousands of people in jail with mental disorders that are very severe. Interesting enough, Paris didn't display the mental condition at the MTV movie awards.

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2434613;
    Not only are there 40 Angelenos who would be more than happy to pick up one of the $100.00 a day tabs to ensure Ms. Hilton face her own music, there's over 40,000, with open wallet in hand. Easily.
    Boy do I agree with that
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

CA Department of Motor Vehicles:

14601. (a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle at any time when that person's driving privilege is suspended or revoked for reckless driving in violation of Section 23103 or 23104, any reason listed in subdivision (a) or (c) of Section 12806 authorizing the department to refuse to issue a license, negligent or incompetent operation of a motor vehicle as prescribed in subdivision (e) of Section 12809, or negligent operation as prescribed in Section 12810.5 , if the person so driving has knowledge of the suspension or revocation. Knowledge shall be conclusively presumed if mailed notice has been given by the department to the person pursuant to Section 13106. The presumption established by this subdivision is a presumption affecting the burden of proof.

(b) Any person convicted under this section shall be punished as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction, by imprisonment in a county jail for not less than five days or more than six months and by a fine of not less than three hundred dollars ($300) or more than one thousand dollars ($1,000).

V.C. Section 14601 - Driving When Privilege Suspended or Revoked

Hopefully while Paris is in jail she will realize at some point that most Americans don't like her! She's back in jail and most of us are happy about it --- including me! And, I agree with the other posters who essentially stated that the cost of her prison stay is nothing compared to the benefiicial effect it will have on those potential Paris-wannabes who will realize that they can't get away with their irresponsible behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1964;2434631;
    The bigger issue is the sheriff overiding the judges' court order which said no electronic bracelet. And interesting why didn't he go to the judge to ammend the court order and only notified the court upon the release of Paris not before. Now, he is trying to cover with the weak overcrowding issue and her mental condition. There are thousands of people in jail with mental disorders that are very severe. Interesting enough, Paris didn't display the mental condition at the MTV movie awards.
    Actually, during the Sheriff's live interview this afternoon he talked about part of the reason why they determined that Paris' mental condition was deterioriating rapidly.

Apparently Paris was on medication when she arrived at the jail Sunday night (and at the MTV Movie Awards.) He said that Paris did not inform anyone at the jail about her medication, but her subsequent lack of medication would have certainly contributed to her condition in the jail and the jail's "inability" to treat an unknown condition.

I'm still really left wondering about this medical condition to which they are referring. It has to be something significant in order for the Sheriff to have considered it necessary to allow her out of jail. But the judge didn't find it sufficient enough an excuse to not put her back in jail, so

From what I heard on the news, the judge didn't even want to hear the medical reason that the Sheriff mentioned. He essentially said that since proper judicial procedure wasn't followed, the actual reason was irrelevent. That Sheriff probably thought he could benefit from this, but instead it will probably haunt him in some way for years to come :-).

+ Reply to Thread