+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4601Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

FORT Fogey

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Well that was SC, a person has spent 45 days in jail for the first drunk driving and wasn't on probation. And I don't see the men control freak angle. I see the judge and district attorney upset that their order wasn't followed and they were not notified. Furthermore, LA doesn't release prisioners in the wee hours of the morning.

Point taken. I know CA has a completely different set of mandates regarding DUI and DUS than SC, however right across the street on the same DAY our boy Jason Wahler of Laguna Beach fame was let off scott free for a STRING of offenses far more egregious than that of Paris. I guess he wasn't famous enough for the egomaniacs to attach themselves to.

(Well, not SCOTT free- he does have some anger management classes to complete, but ZERO jail time. Zero.)
    Last edited by snoopy; 06-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy;2434524;
    Point taken. I know CA has a completely different set of mandates regarding DUI and DUS than SC, however right across the street on the same DAY our boy Jason Wahler of Laguna Beach fame was let off scott free for a STRING of offenses far more egregious than that of Paris. I guess he wasn't famous enough for the egomaniacs to attach themselves to.
    As I pointed out, upthread, there's a larger issue here.

And, was Jason Wahler released at 3 AM? Because our girl Paris was. As if, in the dead of night, nobody would know.

This is just silly, as others have said, at this point. But, she is worth the trouble. There simply cannot be an example set that the justice system does one thing for the young, rich, and beautiful, and something else for everyone else. That perception alone is worth the cost and effort that goes into seeing she gets a fair sentence. And, I do mean fair. If 23 days is fair, fine. If 2 days (really what she was in for) is fair, fine. Whatever it is, it has to be typical of Jane LosAngeles driver under similar circumstances.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

No, Jason was not released at 3 AM, since he only had to spend ONE NIGHT in jail!

And please don't chalk me up as a Paris supporter.... I just believe that she actually should be treated like Flo Schmo!
    Go Tigers!

That's what I've said all along whenever this was discussed with my husband or friends. As long as Hilton gets the same treatment that an average person facing the same circumstances would get then that's fair.

However, what's not fair is all the attention she's gotten regardless of ulterior motives of those involved. She violated her probation and should do whatever the customary time / punishment is for that sort of offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy;2434497;
    ... all in possesion of overinflated egos who have a perverse desire to see their own names in the press at any cost.
    Interestingly enough, a description that fits Paris Hilton to a T.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2434537;
    Interestingly enough, a description that fits Paris Hilton to a T.
    Ok, I didn't consider that one when I was typing my post!! And by all that's holy, YOU ARE RIGHT!! I have a habit of defending the underdog, and momentarily lost focus. Paris is NOT the underdog!

I actually am just concerned about due process, and I do truly think that the law is being unusually observed in her case! If they just hit her with a HUGE fine, way more good could be done than with this media circus!
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy;2434539;
    I actually am just concerned about due process, and I do truly think that the law is being unusually observed in her case! If they just hit her with a HUGE fine, way more good could be done than with this media circus!
    As I see it (and my point of view is often just not common, or even 'right'), there are two main issues here.

The first of those issues is if the original punishment fit the crime. This judge appears, in my opinion, to have been out to make an example of Paris in the first place. Her sentence was not in keeping with the common practice in the jurisdiction. And that is what most people who object to the whole thing object to - and (again, imo) those objections are well founded.

The second of those issues is, to me, far more interesting, and a much larger cause for concern, one way or the other. The judge does get to issue a sentencing document, and outline the terms and conditions. But, the sheriff (in whose care she was placed) gets to decide the actual practicalities of her confinement.

This second point has the potential to be fascinating. It's not only a matter of who has the bigger gun, but it's a matter of who decides who has the most fire-power. Normally, I'd think the judicial system does, but these folks are all part, one way or the other, of the judicial system.

I don't care if this woman spends another breath in jail. I do care about the soundness of the system. And, I care about how conflicts within it are resolved.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

If they just hit her with a HUGE fine, way more good could be done than with this media circus!
    Huge is relative. How big is a huge fine to a multimillionaire with even richer parents? She can't be fined millions for a traffic offense. The best punishment is one that is memorable, and I think Paris will remember losing a month of freedom more than she would remember the loss of pocket change.

Poor girl How was she to know that reality was so real?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;2434550;
    As I see it (and my point of view is often just not common, or even 'right'), there are two main issues here.

The first of those issues is if the original punishment fit the crime. This judge appears, in my opinion, to have been out to make an example of Paris in the first place. Her sentence was not in keeping with the common practice in the jurisdiction. And that is what most people who object to the whole thing object to - and (again, imo) those objections are well founded.

The second of those issues is, to me, far more interesting, and a much larger cause for concern, one way or the other. The judge does get to issue a sentencing document, and outline the terms and conditions. But, the sheriff (in whose care she was placed) gets to decide the actual practicalities of her confinement.

This second point has the potential to be fascinating. It's not only a matter of who has the bigger gun, but it's a matter of who decides who has the most fire-power. Normally, I'd think the judicial system does, but these folks are all part, one way or the other, of the judicial system.

I don't care if this woman spends another breath in jail. I do care about the soundness of the system. And, I care about how conflicts within it are resolved.

Agreed.
    Go Tigers!

+ Reply to Thread