+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4543Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2433531;
    Me thinks someone needs to check the Sheriff's bank account for any recent large deposits :nono
    that's EXACTLY what i was thinking ... that the hiltons probably have offered to fund his next campaign for sheriff.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This country shows over and over again that it doesn't take drunk driving seriously. I'm sure most of your legislators have never lost anyone to a drunk driving incident. I'm sure that MADD doesn't think that Paris was properly handled, and I tend to respect their stance more than anyone else's.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I apparently am living in a cave since I heard this morning on the Today show that Paris was released due to a medical condition. And some of you had heard yesterday morning?! I guess our justice system is based on economics. You'd better have a lot of money to buy your way out.

FORT Fogey

I'm not sure which move by the sherrif's office bothers me more -- the fact that they let her go to house arrest agaisnt the judge's order, or the fact that they honestly, with a straight face, argued that if you go into jail at 11:50PM, or if you're there until 1210AM, those 10 minutes count as a FULL DAY. That is such a blatant abuse of "working the system" it's disgusting.

Sorry, I am here, as she is being allowed to make this court appearance by phone. Please, what other person would be extended that courtesy?

Hilton to call into court hearing from home - Celebrity News - MSNBC.com
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2433949;
    I'm not sure which move by the sherrif's office bothers me more -- the fact that they let her go to house arrest agaisnt the judge's order, or the fact that they honestly, with a straight face, argued that if you go into jail at 11:50PM, or if you're there until 1210AM, those 10 minutes count as a FULL DAY. That is such a blatant abuse of "working the system" it's disgusting.
    Yes indeed, Veruka, that is one golden time card she's been punching there. I wonder if I could borrow that time card and put in about an hour's work around midnight, call it a day, then bill my clients for 2 full day's worth of work? Something tells me that only works if you have Hilton ID.

As for how the sheriff's office handled this, I'll add to your list and say another thing that bothers me is that, for whatever reasons, they chose not to at least make a phone call to judge Michael Sauer, since it was he who passed down Paris' sentence and who specifically stated she would not be allowed to have any electronic monitoring to fulfill her sentence. Common sense, professional courtesy, and CYA all say that someone should have checked with him before a decision was made, but he didn't find out about it until she had already been released. The appearance of propriety obviously wasn't on the agenda.

On a related note... and yet again, Paris prevails. As you all know, she was ordered to appear in person at this morning's hearing regarding all this. And now TMZ is reporting that she caught another break this morning and instead of having to show up in person, she's being allowed to sit in by telephone. This is a breaking story and is being updated often at the moment. Seems there is currently some heated exchanges inside the court, between Paris' lawyer, the City Attorney and the Sheriff's Department over that decision.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2433949;
    First Broadway and Veruka team up, and now I agree with Veruka! That's the eighth sign of the Apocalypse!
    I think that voluntary intakes (like Paris) should run from midnight to 12:30 AM, and releases run from 11:30 PM to midnight, to prevent idiocy like that.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I doubt that they let her go because they're Paris fans, though.

I hate drunk drivers. I've actually lost count of friends and family members who have been affected by it. We lost a teenaged family member because of it just a couple of years ago. But I maintain that the Paris situation is completely out of control and a waste of bloody time for the courts. A house arrest is NOT an unreasonable sentence for DUI charges. She's not going to "learn a lesson" in jail any more than a former friend of mine, who had THREE drunk driving conditions and was driving on a suspended license when he crashed his car and killed his best friend in the passenger seat. He did exactly one year in the penitentiary for that crime, by the way, and this was in a province with the harshest drunk-driving laws in the country.

I'm not saying that drunk drivers shouldn't be punished, by any means. But whether we like it or not, in this justice system, Paris' sentence fits her crime. I know she's a self-entitled, spoiled woman. I know she hasn't "suffered enough". I'm very sure the "medical reasons" are complete bs, and I don't doubt they were created to give the prison officials a reason on paper to get her out of their jail.

There is nothing, NOTHING, that can be done about her. All we can do is hope that she'll avail herself of her many resources and have a driver take her home from the club next time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm right here laughing with you, MissThing

Oh, it gets funnier now.... update on the story. The City Attorney's office apparently won the argument inside the courthouse. TMZ just updated the story with the news that the Judge has now issued an order for Paris to get her behind to the courthouse and a sheriff's car is now enroute to pick her up from her home.

Judge to Paris: Get Your Ass to Court!
    Posted Jun 8th 2007 11:42AM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has learned that Judge Michael T. Sauer has ordered that Paris Hilton appear in court for the hearing, which is scheduled to take place at 9:00 AM PDT.

A Sheriff's car is already on the way to pick up the heiress from her West Hollywood home.
    And the story from just 10 minutes or so earlier...

War in Court Over Paris
    Posted Jun 8th 2007 10:55AM by TMZ Staff
    Now, TMZ is learning that there is a battle raging inside the courtroom between Paris' lawyer, the City Attorney and the Sheriff's Dept. -- over the decision to allow Paris Hilton to appear by phone this morning.
    I tell ya, you can't write stuff like this. What next? A slow speed chase enroute to the courthouse with Paris threatening to kill herself with a loaded makeup case?
    Last edited by Nemeses; 06-08-2007 at 11:56 AM.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2434057;
    I doubt that they let her go because they're Paris fans, though.

I hate drunk drivers. I've actually lost count of friends and family members who have been affected by it. We lost a teenaged family member because of it just a couple of years ago. But I maintain that the Paris situation is completely out of control and a waste of bloody time for the courts. A house arrest is NOT an unreasonable sentence for DUI charges. She's not going to "learn a lesson" in jail any more than a former friend of mine, who had THREE drunk driving conditions and was driving on a suspended license when he crashed his car and killed his best friend in the passenger seat. He did exactly one year in the penitentiary for that crime, by the way, and this was in a province with the harshest drunk-driving laws in the country.

I'm not saying that drunk drivers shouldn't be punished, by any means. But whether we like it or not, in this justice system, Paris' sentence fits her crime. I know she's a self-entitled, spoiled woman. I know she hasn't "suffered enough". I'm very sure the "medical reasons" are complete bs, and I don't doubt they were created to give the prison officials a reason on paper to get her out of their jail.

There is nothing, NOTHING, that can be done about her. All we can do is hope that she'll avail herself of her many resources and have a driver take her home from the club next time.

You make some great points, and I think you're absolutely right AJane. Just look at how many of the comments here (including my own) are focused on Paris because she's Paris, and not the absurdity of the way the justice system handles the crime. There is a focus here that is more relevant, and you're right -- many of us (including me) are missing it.

+ Reply to Thread