+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4743Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2433584;
    We know Paris is dumb, but apparently it's contagious. The sheriff should have known this would be questioned, and I'm surprised he didn't dot all his i's and cross his t's. If you're going to let someone off relatively easy, at least they ought to have made sure it would hold up in court. (If that was possible, which may or may not be the case.)
    Absolutely --- what a dumb %#%&! Can you imagine the conversation he had with Paris?!? I think this would be a close transcript:

Paris: I don't like it here. It's so... not hot!
    Sheriff: It not good? If you no like, then you go home.
    Paris: That's hot!
    Sheriff: Yeah, if your heater is on at home then your home be hot.
    Pairs: You won't regret this --- American so wants me out of jail!
    Sheriff: That's what I thought! (picks nose for 10 minutes)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2433350;
    Please, Reverand do not make this a racial issue. Yes, it is an economic issue but not a racial issue. I really hate when people try to make eveything that happens in life a racial issue. Some people will say anything to get their names in print. The Reverand Sharpton is as much a media whore are Paris Hilton.
    Actually, it has long been known that there are economic AND racial issues in the American justice system. To a lot of people, this just demonstrates more of the same. This idea is not Reverend Sharpton's unique brainchild. If you have friends/acquaintences of color, ask them what they think. You might be surprised. They even addressed "white justice" and "black justice" on FOX news channel this evening. It was interesting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think Leo made a good point upthread. Her presence in the jail was probably very disruptive - there's likely media camped out there who are hounding the employees and causing problems, for one thing. I can see the prison administration deciding to move her to house arrest for that reason alone.

And...not that I'm a fan of Paris...but a month-long house arrest isn't really that far-fetched of a sentence for a DUI conviction. Plus, her license is probably suspended as well.

Frankly, I think it's a waste of the court's time to expend any more effort on Paris Hilton. If she wasn't a celebrity, no one would give a crap about her being switched to house arrest. It's less satisfying than seeing her in prison orange, of course...but we have pretty tough drinking-and-driving laws here in Canada, and a house arrest is not unheard of for those kind of offences.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2433652;
    I think Leo made a good point upthread. Her presence in the jail was probably very disruptive - there's likely media camped out there who are hounding the employees and causing problems, for one thing. I can see the prison administration deciding to move her to house arrest for that reason alone.

And...not that I'm a fan of Paris...but a month-long house arrest isn't really that far-fetched of a sentence for a DUI conviction. Plus, her license is probably suspended as well.

Frankly, I think it's a waste of the court's time to expend any more effort on Paris Hilton. If she wasn't a celebrity, no one would give a crap about her being switched to house arrest. It's less satisfying than seeing her in prison orange, of course...but we have pretty tough drinking-and-driving laws here in Canada, and a house arrest is not unheard of for those kind of offences.
    You bring up something that really gets to the heart of what bothers me so much about the furor over Paris. Does the justice system exist as a means of satisfying the desire of the public, or does it serve a higher cause of punishment and rehabilitation? From the beginning, Paris was treated differently, and I don't mean favorably. I think the judge was being unfairly harsh because of who she is, not because of the merits of the case. The standing ovation he received at church tells me he was making more of a socio-political statement than serving any higher ideal of justice.

The responses I've seen online and on television really get on my nerves because oh how irrational they have been. One would think the only way most people would be satisfied is if she were pilloried in a public square so everyone could throw rotten tomatoes at her. I think it says a lot about the mentality of the masses that they support the celebrity status of Paris by following her every move, then scream to crucify her when they see a chance to take her down. It's just sad.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2433661;
    You bring up something that really gets to the heart of what bothers me so much about the furor over Paris. Does the justice system exist as a means of satisfying the desire of the public, or does it serve a higher cause of punishment and rehabilitation? From the beginning, Paris was treated differently, and I don't mean favorably. I think the judge was being unfairly harsh because of who she is, not because of the merits of the case. The standing ovation he received at church tells me he was making more of a socio-political statement than serving any higher ideal of justice.

The responses I've seen online and on television really get on my nerves because oh how irrational they have been. One would think the only way most people would be satisfied is if she were pilloried in a public square so everyone could throw rotten tomatoes at her. I think it says a lot about the mentality of the masses that they support the celebrity status of Paris by following her every move, then scream to crucify her when they see a chance to take her down. It's just sad.
    If she would quit playing with the justice system and just take her lumps people would be applauding her for doing the right thing instead she is trying to buy her way out of a DUI charge when 99.99% of the population would have some form of punishment. Also, I don't think this is her first offense. If it was the court would go lightly on her, the fact that she did not bother to show up in court and sent her lawyers and started playing games with the justice system is what angers the public and the court system. As far as the public, fame is a very fleeting thing and in this country the minute you hit the big time the public is trying to tear you down. It is also the timing of seeing Britney, Lindsey and Paris all blowing off the consequences of their actions that has made the public tired of the 'little girls' and basically wants to throw them under the bus.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Paris Hilton believes she's better than everyone else because of her money, looks and fame. She believes this to such a degree that she has no idea what America really thinks of her. She is selfish, egotistical, narcissistic and spoiled. She drove around drunk often enough to get a DUI when she has so much money it makes no sense to not find another means of transportation. She finally gets some type of consequences for her actions, but ends up with only 73 hours out of a 45 day sentence.

That gives a horrible message to impressionable youth --- be a b$tch, think you are better than other people, drive drunk and get away with it... nothing matters as long as you have fame and money. I totally understand why the audience on The View were clearly outraged when Barbara Walters gave them the Paris news. It is ridiculously unfair and unjust and there's nothing sad about recognizing that fact when you can't watch the news without hearing every little detail.

That gives a horrible message to impressionable youth --- be a b$tch, think you are better than other people, drive drunk and get away with it... nothing matters as long as you have fame and money.
    I'm of the philosophy that punishment should be matched to the offense, and shouldn't reflect how much the public likes that person. I would hate to live with a justice system that judged according to tabloids. Also, while I know it's a common philosophy, I don't think people should be used as examples and given extra harsh penalties just to make a point. I think most people don't really care what she went to jail for (violating probation), they just want to see her suffer because they think she's guilty of something more than breaking the law. They want her punished for social reasons. They want her punished because she gets on their nerves. The last I checked, being an annoying attention whore isn't criminal.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2433734;
    I think most people don't really care what she went to jail for (violating probation), they just want to see her suffer because they think she's guilty of something more than breaking the law. They want her punished for social reasons. They want her punished because she gets on their nerves. The last I checked, being an annoying attention whore isn't criminal.
    That's not the case for the vast majority of people posting on this message board. And the ones you are refering to would be closed-minded and unlikely to read posts on a message board.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2433584;
    We know Paris is dumb, but apparently it's contagious. The sheriff should have known this would be questioned, and I'm surprised he didn't dot all his i's and cross his t's. If you're going to let someone off relatively easy, at least they ought to have made sure it would hold up in court. (If that was possible, which may or may not be the case.)
    Since i don't buy that her mental state is more fragile then anyone else who goes to jail, just throw her back in the cell and give her the valtrex as needed.
    I sincerely doubt they want others going around saying, "i'm tearing my hairs out because i hate it here, now send me home before i starve myself ".

E! news seems to be on top of everything, through them i learned about the current developments of this soap.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2433734;
    I'm of the philosophy that punishment should be matched to the offense, and shouldn't reflect how much the public likes that person. I would hate to live with a justice system that judged according to tabloids. Also, while I know it's a common philosophy, I don't think people should be used as examples and given extra harsh penalties just to make a point. I think most people don't really care what she went to jail for (violating probation), they just want to see her suffer because they think she's guilty of something more than breaking the law. They want her punished for social reasons. They want her punished because she gets on their nerves. The last I checked, being an annoying attention whore isn't criminal.
    Okay... getting the publicity aspect out of it, do you not believe that there are thousands of people sitting in jail at this very moment serving a jail sentence for DUI and violating probation? And thousands more sitting in jail cells that have medical conditions where being in jail is an unfavorable location to treat such condition?

The judge that sentenced her was extra harsh on her because she repeatedly ignored the law. He expressly stated that he was being harsh on her because of the fact that she blatantly continued to drive even though she knew that her license was suspended.

I don't believe most normal DUI offenders get a month to prepare to go to jail. I don't believe most normal DUI offenders get their own private cell. I don't believe most DUI offenders get books provided to them in said solitary cell, as has been reported that Paris had on Tuesday and Wednesday. Poor little Paris was treated so harshly in comparison to normal human beings.

Watching the news last night, it was heartbreaking watching the mother of a quadraplegic talking about her son having gone to jail for a first time marijuana offense... and he died in jail while she was trying to get him out for medical house arrest. Why didn't he get the same quick justice that Paris Hilton received?

Loved Michelle Rodriguez, she who got out after a matter of hours for the same offense as Paris Hilton, talking last night about the fact that her jail sentence was a forgotten entity in her mind and that she didn't learn a damned thing (her exact words) from the experience.

+ Reply to Thread