+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5689Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

That was lovely. Thank you for sharing it. So touching how Letterman was obviously tearing up at the end.
    Count your blessings!

I just happened to be watching Letterman when this was on & it was very touching.
    I've never been a Letterman fan, but he seems much more likable now & less conceited than he used to be. He also always seemed like he was mocking people in a cruel way.
    I think he started to change when he had the bypass surgery. I think life in general has given him enough kicks in the head in recent years that he got a little more compassionate and appreciative of others. He's aged well.

Wouldn't you know it. I finally start to like the guy & he's leaving. It figures.
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

FORT Fogey

I also wonder how much being one of the last to change in late night has impacted his persona. Back when he used to come across as conceited, he was working his butt off every day to top Jay Leno, and they were the two kings of the hill. Now, when people talk about the kings of late night, he's not really a focus. In a lot of different industries, you've got those old guys in an office who just enjoy coming to work everyday, so they still do. But they no longer compete for better accounts or promotions, they just enjoy having a place to go. I think that Dave has transitioned into being that in Late Night. The Jimmys and the guys on cable respect him for all that he's done, but are more focused on competing with each other than with him. His place in late night history is officially carved - now he's just enjoying it.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Debb70 likes this.

That's really sad.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    OMG! I'm in shock. This is so sad. Neil has always seemed to be so crazy over this lady. Thirty-six years of marriage.......unreal.

She performs too and both are scheduled to play at Farm Aid in Raleigh, NC, (my city) in a couple of weeks. I really want to attend this show.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-27-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Near Normal (no, really, Normal is the name of the town)

I think I read somewhere that her name was quietly taken off of the Farm Aid lineup.
    Debb70 likes this.

I feel sorry for her, but I have no compassion for him.
    Ever since he threw out his live in girlfriend & their disabled son many years ago, because he didn't want to deal with the son's disabilities. He cut them off & left them with nothing & badly struggling. When she tried to get support from him through the courts & help for the boy, he refused & fought it tooth & nail because he had money for big lawyers. I don't know if she ever did get anything from him.
    Ever since I read that I've had no use for him or any of his music. Worthless jerk!
    "Success is getting what you want; Happiness is wanting what you get."

Apparently, his son with his soon-to-be ex-wife also has Cerebral Palsy. Hopefully, he'll be more honorable in this split than he was in the previous one.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I never heard that Neil was a jerk. I know he used drugs and alcohol for many years, (says he gave them up now) but that was a long time ago. I did find this article from 1983. It says Neil and the child's mother had an agreement that was approved by the courts. It sounds like she wanted to collect money based on her potential lost earnings from Neil, due to having a disabled child. They were together from 1971-75. I think that might be problematic when you are not married. Since I handle divorce cases, I know there are usually two sides to the story, so I won't let this tarnish Neil in my eyes. I still respect him as an artist.

(Sadly, Carrie passed away at age 58 in 2004.)

Isn't it odd he went on to have another child with cerebral palsy. That young man is also an adult. He was present with Neil and Pegi on an tribute show I saw about Neil last year. It was very touching.

'Mad Housewife' Carrie Snodgress Sues Rocker Neil Young for Support of Their Handicapped Son - Feuds, Carrie Snodgress, Neil Young (Musician) : People.com
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-28-2014 at 08:48 AM.

+ Reply to Thread