+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4946Likes

Thread: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Oh my goodness, thanks for posting this link, Mia. I haven't really been following news about the new royal baby, so these photos are new to me; he is beyond cute...oh, I just want to pinch those chubby cheeks. What a doll!

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    He's lived in Europe for years.....usually people will pick up an accent if they are in a place for awhile. It's not uncommon.
    No, Jo, it's not uncommon, but it doesn't necessarily usually happen, either.

Example:

I'm in Atlanta. I am continually astounded at the number of Brits/Scots/Whatever that sound like they've just stepped in off the street from the local British corner pub. After back-and-forth conversation, I more often than not find out that these folks have not only been residents of the States for a NUMBER of years (what I normally hear on average is 20 years and upwards of that!), they've ALSO attained American citizenship, as well. In some cases, they might've MARRIED an American, but in others, they haven't (they've come over with their English/Scottish/Whatever-born partner). They've just come over here, liked it, and decided to move here permanently and become citizens.

What tickles ME is they'll oftentimes remark that occasionally, they'll go back to England (or Scotland, or WHEREVER) to visit family and friends still living there, and those guys'll let them know quick, fast and in a HURRY that they "sound AMERICAN, now!"

Even though, when they speak to ME, their Brit accent sounds thick enough to cut with a knife!

And yep, this goes for the Aussies, New Zealanders and South Africaners (?) and whatever else that I've met here, too!

What amuses me no end are Americans like Madonna and Steve Cauthen.

When Madonna was married to Guy Richie (sp?), she eventually sported an English accent that sounded REALLY fake and put-on, to me. Cauthen? The same. I recall that he moved to England for a number of years to ride there. While there, the Kentucky-born Cauthen --- like Madonna --- developed a thick, REALLY fake-sounding (to ME, at least!) English accent.

I used to crack up laughing at BOTH of 'em.

Last I heard outta Madonna, she sounds American again. As for Cauthen, I know he DID move back to Kentucky, eventually, but I don't recall seeing or hearing anything out of him for YEARS. So I have NO idea whether or not he still uses a British accent.

It cuts ALL ways, I guess!

LOLOLOLOL!
    Debb70 likes this.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I was being facetious about Depp living in Europe as an adult causing him to have that fake accent. It could be, but I think it's obvious certain people do it because they think it makes them appear a certain way. I get it. I love an English accent, but suspect people would laugh at me too, if I sported one because I lived in England for a few years. Especially, if it popped up sporadically as it does with Madonna and Depp. Tina Turner developed one too.

I find it interesting that Kim Catrell who was born in England and returned to to live there for years during her developmental years, doesn't have one that I ever noticed in interviews. Here is one interview in England where she seems to try to use it, but it's still very subtle and sound unnatural. She was playing up to her English roots though, so I can't fault her.

Kim Cattrall on 'Paul O'Grady Live' - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that it takes awhile for the meds to get out of your system. Once hers get out of her system, it's likely her symptoms will return. If she is truly schizophrenic, she's going really suffer and possibly hurt herself or others again. If her parents truly feel she doesn't need them, then she needs to come off of them in a MEDICAL setting so they can monitor her and protect her if she tries to herself or others.

It seems to be a common thing that parents of people with these conditions are in denial. Then something horrible happens and the parents act all shocked. Poor girl. She's not capable to know the dangers. IMO, a third party whose more objective needs to have say so over this.
    I know nothing about Amanda Bynes specifically. But I have known a few people who struggle with schizophrenia, if that's what this is. The problem and continual struggle is that they hate the meds and how the meds make them feel. But the meds control the disease. So they start feeling better and think they can come off the meds. As soon as the meds wear off, the disease comes back full force. It is a life long struggle and if you don't have those around you who are supporting you and the reality of the disease, it can be a recipe for disaster.
    Debb70 likes this.

I just read that Selena Gomez fired her parents as agents. I guess that's her right. She wants to project a new image as she matures. I just hope it's not being done under the influence of Beiber who she recently hooked up with again. She seems to admire him, but her parents not so much. Hmmmm......

Unless she discovered her parents were stealing from her, then I would really reconsider letting them go. It looks like they have done a pretty good job with her career. Plus, she has that addiction issue. I hope she's thinking this through clearly.

FORT Fogey

The more detailed reports are indicating that Selena "fired" her parents a few months ago, not recenlty, so it's most likely not Bieber related. I think that if she wants stardom, it makes sense. They know how to look out for her. If she wants to move to the next level, she needs to work with someone who has the experience and the vision to make that happen. It is probably also a better family dynamic too. Now she can relate to her parents merely as parents, rather than having to maintain both a business relationship and a family relationship. I think it's usually a disaster when parents try to serve as managers. It makes sense on the surface because the parents can be there to protect their child.But if the child has GOOD parents (as opposed to Lohans or Biebers) long range I think it helps to let them be the parents without having to be the ones who push for business choices.
    Punkin likes this.

So Joe Francis is having twin girls? Lord help them. One can only hope parenthood will change him, but I doubt it will.
    Punkin likes this.
    "Love is not a fight, but it's something worth fighting for"- Warren Barfield

Elizabeth Taylor is a good example. Born in England, she moved to Hollywood when really young and lost all of her British accent, probably at the request of the studios and probably with a speech coach. When she grew older and especially after she married Burton, her accent came back and as she aged, it got stronger and stronger. By that time, she wanted to be remembered as being British.

Incidentally, if you want to see her as a young actress in England, watch the 1943 version of Jane Eyre. She plays Helen, the child who dies at Lowood school, and she's uncredited, but is quite recognizable.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Selena Gomez, out partying with Kendall and Kylie Jenner at a nightclub. How does that work? You can party in a VIP room and dance on dance floor when you're 16 and 18 years of age, (Underage for alcohol.)

Selena Gomez Goes Clubbing in West Hollywood with Kendall and Kylie Jenner - Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Caught in the Act, Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Selena Gomez, Bootsy Bellows, Bar / Club / Lounge, Dance Club : People.com

And Selena has a history with rehab problems. I just don't get it.

Here's Selena and Beiber making a video together in early March. Her parents are opposed to her seeing him, so I can understand why he may want her to get away from their management. I can see why she may agree.

Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez perform sexy choreographed dance, post video clips to Instagram - NY Daily News
    Last edited by Debb70; 04-14-2014 at 03:44 PM.

The first thing I thought when I saw that this weekend was that they don't want her around Beiber & she fired them to distance herself from them completely so she could go Beibering with them having no control at all.

Stupid girl! She's at that age where young women make really dumb decisions to try to keep a messed up guy who doesn't deserve their time of day.
    At that age they all think they know so much more than their parents do. In about 5-6 years they figure out they were wrong & Mom & Dad really do know what they're talking about.

I just hope she doesn't do anything stupid in the mean time to screw her life up. Drugs, alcohol, pregnancy.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

+ Reply to Thread