+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney Separates From Wife

FORT Fogey

Paul McCartney Separates From Wife

Paul McCartney Separates From Wife

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/200...=home&SEC=news

By JENNIFER QUINN

LONDON (AP) - Former Beatle Paul McCartney and his second wife, Heather Mills McCartney, said Wednesday that they are separating after nearly four years of marriage, blaming intrusion from the media and insisting their split is amicable.

Rumors of a rift between Mills McCartney and the singer's children - especially Stella McCartney - have circulated for years. Talk centered around the idea that Mills McCartney - who is nearly half his age - wanted to devote more time to campaigning against land mines and fur.

"Having tried exceptionally hard to make our relationship work given the daily pressures surrounding us, it is with sadness that we have decided to go our separate ways," a statement from the couple said. "Our parting is amicable and both of us still care about each other very much."

McCartney, 63, and Mills, 38, married in June 2002, four years after his former wife, Linda McCartney, died of breast cancer. McCartney and Mills had a daughter, Beatrice, in October 2003.

"Separation for any couple is difficult enough, but to have to go through this so publicly, especially with a small daughter, is immensely stressful," it added. "We hope, for the sake of our baby daughter, that we will be given some space and time to get through this difficult period."

McCartney's wealth was estimated at $1.5 billion by the Sunday Times in their annual list of Britain's richest people. The couple are believed not to have a prenuptial agreement.

In 2002, Heather Mills told Vanity Fair that McCartney didn't force her to sign a prenuptial agreement before their huge wedding - despite tabloid reports to the contrary.

Mills said she offered to sign an agreement, but that McCartney - who was worth more than $1 billion at the time - wouldn't allow it.

"I wanted to prove that I love him for him," she was quoted by the magazine as saying. "He said, 'I wouldn't let you.'"

McCartney told the magazine that he knew some people would think he was being suckered by a gold digger.

"I"m not stupid," he told Vanity Fair. "Heather's a really nice person, or else I wouldn't be attracted in the least. She's great. But you're going to find people who are going to knock her, because the better story is the negative one."

Mills McCartney has been accused of meddling in her husband's career - such as the dismissal of his longtime publicist Geoff Baker - and even of influencing him on issues as diverse as dying his hair and plastic surgery.

In a statement on her personal Web site, Mills McCartney posted a note from McCartney blasting the press and denying the rumors.

"Although some of these articles can be funny, there are others that are plain malicious and you need to be strong not to be hurt by some of the cruel suggestions that flow from these peoples pens," the statement said.

"The media sometimes suggests a rift between my kids and Heather, but in fact we get on great and anyone who knows our family can see this for themselves," McCartney wrote.

Mills is a former model and a vociferous animal rights campaigner who recently traveled with McCartney to eastern Canada to fight that country's seal hunt. The couple met in 1999 through Mills' charity, the Heather Mills Health Trust. She launched the trust after losing a leg in a motorcycle accident in 1993.

News of the split was first reported in Wednesday's edition of the Daily Mirror.

McCartney already has three children from his marriage to Linda, who died in 1998 - musician James, photographer Mary, and fashion designer Stella. He also has a stepdaughter, Heather, from Linda McCartney's first marriage.
    ______________________________ ________

What a shame that they're splitting, particularly since a young child's now part of the equation.

On a selfish note, I'm very sorry to see that they won't be teamed up to campaign against Canada's barbaric seal hunt anymore. They were a powerful addition to the cause.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...ey-060302.html

LG.
    I'd read a tabloid speculating about this a couple weeks ago and Heather's camp denied it, saying that she was staying at one of their other houses as it was more convenient for her to get fitted for a new leg or something like that and that Paul had "commitments" at one of their other houses. But I was a big fan of Paul and Linda's relationship and knew that they hardly ever spent a night apart. They both had their own "stuff" going on (good grief, they raised 4 kids while he was a touring musician) but they always, always made each other a priority in their lives. I just remember when Linda died, Paul's comment was that he "lost his girlfriend and is very sad" and I don't know that he ever really got over that loss. It is too bad about Beatrice but I'm sure she will be well cared for and loved by both her parents.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Premium Member
    I'm not that surprised. After all those years with Linda and how totally devoted they were to each other, I could never imagine him ever finding anything close to that with another woman.

I'm not surprised about the split. They didin't seem a good "fit" for me. Especially after Linda. She was irreplaceable. And it did look like Heather was trying to involve Paul in her causes. Not that they weren't worthy causes, just that it wasn't really his thing in the past. Too bad for the little girl though. Divorce is never a happy thing.

And no pre-nup?! Cha-ching $$$
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    And no pre-nup?! Cha-ching $$$

Yeah, I remember reading that his kids were reallly unhappy about this when he and Heather married, because they worried something like this would happen. The strange thing in that article was them blaming the press for their separation? Huh?

Paul's not nearly as famous now as when he was with the Beatles or Wings, and he and Linda seemed to have managed with the press intrusion then just fine. Even the paparrazi weren't stalking Paul and Heather like they do with Brad and Angelina etc.

I'm guessing the age difference was more of a factor than the press. And possibly no one ever being able to live up to Linda's memory...one of the reasons she joined Wings and went on tour with him was so they could spend time together (and keep an eye on him so that groupies weren't as much of an issue. She was no dummy).

giz
    Wow! On the one hand I'm suprised because celebrities have this way of looking totally tight up until the moment they separate, on the other as Miss Kitty said, they just didn't seem a good fit. Heather always came across as such a bossy boots, whereas Linda McCartney always seemed very mellow. As Paul himself is quite driven in some ways, I always thought they didn't seem right together. As well, of course, there's the age difference, his kids hating her (and you must consider they'd have their reasons), and that perhaps he remarried too quickly.

Too bad about the pre-nup. I gather his kids thought she was after the money. Too bad for the little girl too. Hope he is at peace with this, he's brought us all a lot of happiness and deserves some of his own again. (and ditto the "huh?" about the press. What does that have to do with the price of eggs?).

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    The strange thing in that article was them blaming the press for their separation? Huh?

Paul's not nearly as famous now as when he was with the Beatles or Wings, and he and Linda seemed to have managed with the press intrusion then just fine. Even the paparrazi weren't stalking Paul and Heather like they do with Brad and Angelina etc.
    From the North American view it may not have seemed that they were intruded upon much, but the British press is the most invasive and virulent in the world and I can see where their constant meddling and harping (just like a nasty mother-in-law) might have a negative effect on a relationship, particularly if you happen to be living in the country where all this tripe is being published.

That being said, I've always thought he jumped the gun a bit after losing Linda, but that's fairly common when someone has had and lost a very good relationship and wants to regain the love and comfort they're used to.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    From the North American view it may not have seemed that they were intruded upon much, but the British press is the most invasive and virulent in the world and I can see where their constant meddling and harping (just like a nasty mother-in-law) might have a negative effect on a relationship, particularly if you happen to be living in the country where all this tripe is being published.
    True, but again, he's nowhere near as newsworthy today as he was 40 years ago during his Beatles/Wings days when the press would've been all over them. And when he was with the Beatles, he didn't know they were going to being come world's most famous band. This time around, he knew he was already newsworthy and would've been more prepared to deal with the press (or so I would think). As obnoxious as the media can be, I don't think it can break up a strong relationship. I don't recall the press making up rumors about either of them cheating on each other etc. Hopefully, they will remain friends for the sake of their daughter and she won't try to bilk him out of money that isn't rightfully hers (and that said, hopefully he won't be cheap and try to gyp her out of a nice settlement for herself. I'm sure he'll be generous with child support).

ETA: I saw him in concert a while ago and he sang a really touching version of "My Love," which he wrote for Linda. I couldn't help but notice that "Your Loving Flame," the song he wrote for Heather, was blah by comparison.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-17-2006 at 04:36 PM.

He put out a statement adamently defending Heather against the gold-digger accusations today. I thought that was very admirable of him. So many people seem to think that if you get a divorce you have to hate your ex-spouse. It's nice to see that they still have a great deal of respect and care for each other, despite the fact they don't want to stay married.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Heh... I was reading in an article this weekend where one of those proverbial "family friends" said that Heather was mad at Paul because he got more than his fair share of the press. According to this "friend" Heather thought she should be talked about just as much as he was and it therefore caused a big problem in their marriage.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast