+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney Separates From Wife

I think that it was terrible how the press treated Heather. I don't know whether any of the things were true (whether she was a golddigger, whether she was too bossy, etc), but I do feel that it was nobody's business except her and Paul and his family. All the people who said that she wasn't right for him, or that it was too soon after Linda's death should have let him decide that. Paul is a grown man and can decide for himself what makes him happy.
    When Paul married Linda, she was hated too. Paul wanted her in Wings and Linda was scorned and mocked for that. Even her appearance was criticized. It was not until Paul and Linda were married many years that Linda gradually became to be admired.
    I hate the way we have become obsessed with the private life of celebrities, especially celebrity relationships. I don't know if Heather and Paul's relationship could ever have worked. Considering the way Heather was treated, I am suprised that it lasted as long as it did. It was all about the story and never about Paul's happiness.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Reading that McCartneys children are/were upset about no pre nup, too bad. It's your dads money not yours and to all those children that think they deserve what their parents worked for, you don't PERIOD. I read somewhere that Bill Gates is not leaving his money to the children, but it is all going to charity, his reasoning: Let them work for it, I did.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

giz
    Well, we don't know why they were upset about the lack of a pre-nup. It might not have been so much the inheritance as that they were concerned for him. His kids do all work, and from what we hear seem to have been well-raised (went to local schools versus private), so it may not have been greed fueling their concern.

I'm thinking since she wasn't his soulmate, aka Linda, that whatever problems they had just weren't worth it enough to work through the way he did with Linda. Sometimes once you've had the love of your life, you won't put up with a whole lot from anyone after. I don't think it's either of their fault, it just didn't work out.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    Well, we don't know why they were upset about the lack of a pre-nup. It might not have been so much the inheritance as that they were concerned for him. His kids do all work, and from what we hear seem to have been well-raised (went to local schools versus private), so it may not have been greed fueling their concern.
    Agreed. I think all of the McCartney kids have jobs and do quite well for themselves, and that Stella--the most financially successful one--was the one who didn't get along with Heather (for whatever reason--I'm guessing it's a private issue).

When my friend's mom died, her dad remarried within the year. The kids were all shocked, especially when they saw their stepmom WEARING SOME OF THEIR LATE MOM'S clothes... (But that's another story all together...) They're very happy together so I can just be happy for them.

Regarding inheritances...Sting said a similar thing as Bill Gates did. He's going to leave some money to his kids, but not ALL. If I had any money to leave my potential kids, I would not leave it to offspring who did nothing with their lives (I'm talking about you, Paris Hilton). They would have to be productive members of society. And I'll bet you that Gates DOES leave money to his kids...maybe not all of it, but he's not going to leave them zilcho.

Personally, I think kids' (adult or otherwise) opinions about future spouses do matter. When you marry, you marry into a family. The kids aren't just going to go away. Somehow I never got the impression that the McCartney kids were worried about losing their future inheritance from dad. But if I were them, I would've worried about dad being taken advantage of by an opportunistic woman (I'm not saying that's what Heather was--I'm just saying I can understand them being cautious). But if I were marrying a man who was that rich, I would've had no problem signing a pre-nup. (BTW, my husband isn't rock star rich, but he's better than Paul McCartney to me! )

Gosh, some of the comments in this thread make me sad. So many assumptions.

Anyway, I've always been of the opinion that kids should make their own money. I think parents should help their kids out if they can, but if they have a fortune, they should spend as much of it as they want before they die and leave the rest to whoever they want to leave it to.

I also don't think kids should have any more say in their parents love lives than parents should have in their kids love lives. They should express misgivings if they have any and then shut the hell up. They have their lives to lead and need to seek out their happiness where they can find it. Their parents should be able to do the same.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

giz
    Stargazer, I'm not sure which assumptions, but I'm going on an assumption here!
    I'm a Beatlemaniac from way back, and saw a lot of Linda on t.v. when I lived in Britain. (and I just saw an exhibit of her work which included a film about her). So I feel like I got a feel for her character. Similarly when I said Heather came across as bossy, I meant - in the interviews I've seen with her. She does not come across as someone who is used to dialogue or compromise. Perhaps it's just her manner. She comes across as quite confrontational, but this could be how her personality is when she is promoting issues she feels strongly about. Anyhoo, what I'd said about their respective personalities was based on having read and seen a great deal about the McCartneys over the years. (not the same thing as actually knowing, granted, but so often if you read from a variety of sources it does turn out to have some basis in fact).

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    I'm a Beatlemaniac from way back, and saw a lot of Linda on t.v. when I lived in Britain. (and I just saw an exhibit of her work which included a film about her). So I feel like I got a feel for her character. Similarly when I said Heather came across as bossy, I meant - in the interviews I've seen with her. She does not come across as someone who is used to dialogue or compromise. Perhaps it's just her manner. She comes across as quite confrontational, but this could be how her personality is when she is promoting issues she feels strongly about. Anyhoo, what I'd said about their respective personalities was based on having read and seen a great deal about the McCartneys over the years. (not the same thing as actually knowing, granted, but so often if you read from a variety of sources it does turn out to have some basis in fact).
    Same here, Giz. I don't think either of us were around for the first round of Beatlemania, but I used to listen to their records when growing up and enjoyed their music so much more than the pop songs that were on the radio then. It was actually fun collecting all their albums and then later collecting all their CDs. (George was always my favorite? How about you?)

I always thought that occasional snide comments aside, these boards (when discussing celebrities anyhow) were a place to discuss things and that some of this would have to be based on assumptions -- 'cause unless someone's not speaking up here, I don't think any of us are friends with these famous people we're talking about. Well, maybe QBoots is--she seems to have the inside scoop on everything! (love ya, Q!) And I'll be the first to admit, I'm not going to assume that everyone's on the up and up. I'm cynical that way. But hearing about the McCartneys possibly not having had a pre-nup, that's a great way to open up discussion on the subject that, to me, is more interesting than whether or not Paul and Heather had a pre-nup.

Stargazer brings up a really good point that the parents earned the money and should spend it how they want. I completely agree with that and my siblings and I have been trying to get my parents to spend their money while they're alive rather than leaving that money to us. But my parents won't spend it all, because they want to leave something for their kids. That's what makes them happy, even though they know they raised independent children who are completely able to take care of themselves. I'm assuming here but I'm guessing Paul feels the same way. Unless he tries really hard every day, he's not going to be able to spend all his money on himself, and even after leaving funds to charitities, he'll still have enough to leave money to his kids/loved ones.

But that also brings me to my point that Paul earned that money (with Linda beside him for much of the time), not Heather. The bulk of his fortune was earned when he was a Beatle/Wing. The kids were around for that period, not Heather. They were married 4 years. She should defintely be well provided for, but if he was going to be forced to give the money to anyone, I'd rather it go to the kids than to her.

Hey, if it makes Paul happy to give Heather everything, then more power to them and you're right Stargazer, the kids can't say anything because their dad is of sound mind (unlike Anna Nicole Smith's ex billionaire hubby) and it's his money. But if the courts forced him to, that'd really be unfair.

I didn't mean to be a downer for this thread. I apologize because any speculation on celebrity relationships (including my own speculation) are purely assumptions and should just be taken with a grain of salt. It just feels unfair because I know that my own mother has often not had a clue about what was going on in my relationships, much less total strangers. I feel sorry for Heather because it seems she is getting rode pretty hard when Paul himself still seems to care for her a great deal (based on his own statements).

I think it's also worth noting that any money Heather gets is going not just to her but to the child that her and Paul had together. As I read somewhere this morning, the child they have together is the child of a Beatle. One Beatle was assassinated and most of the others have had attempts on their life. This child will need to be protected and insulated its entire life and that means Paul will need to provide Heather the means to live that kind of life.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer View Post
    Anyway, I've always been of the opinion that kids should make their own money. I think parents should help their kids out if they can, but if they have a fortune, they should spend as much of it as they want before they die and leave the rest to whoever they want to leave it to.

I also don't think kids should have any more say in their parents love lives than parents should have in their kids love lives. They should express misgivings if they have any and then shut the hell up. They have their lives to lead and need to seek out their happiness where they can find it. Their parents should be able to do the same.

I don't know squat about Paul and Heather Mccartney except tidbits. I always found their pairing odd just simply due to the age difference, but then, that's just me. Whatever works

As far as the pre-nup thing, personally I don't like the idea of them. But, I also don't believe that just because you marry into money that you are entitled to one dime of that fortune if you didn't help create it. Then whatever the "marriage" jointly created wealthwise, then its up for grabs.

So as far as even the mention of a "nice settlement" for Heather, I say why? 4 years...what was her salary before they married? If she quit work to be at home for the marriage, okay, pay her what she used to make with a reasonable escalation. Child support? Absolutely!!! But mommy support? No.

Sorry to sound brutal...I wish no ill will on anyone, but I have little understanding/tolerance of entitlement attitudes, even when you find yourself in a "marrying up" situation that fails. If Paul wants to give her $100 + million, good for them if it makes them happy, but personally, I don't get the reasoning.

If its intended for the child, then don't call it a settlement, call it child support and make sure it goes to the child.
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast