+ Reply to Thread
Page 55 of 56 FirstFirst ... 5454647484950515253545556 LastLast

Thread: All Things Brangelina

Re: All Things Brangelina

Does being born in France, but having parents who are U.S. Citizens, make the kids dual citizens? I know there are two ways to be born a U.S. citizen. One is what's called "right of the soil", which means you were born on U.S. soil, and the other is "right of the blood", which means you have a parent who is a citizen, who has also at some point resided in the United States. France's stand on this issue would be what determines dual citizenship, I suppose.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3155538;
    Does being born in France, but having parents who are U.S. Citizens, make the kids dual citizens? I know there are two ways to be born a U.S. citizen. One is what's called "right of the soil", which means you were born on U.S. soil, and the other is "right of the blood", which means you have a parent who is a citizen, who has also at some point resided in the United States. France's stand on this issue would be what determines dual citizenship, I suppose.
    A quick look at Wikipedia says they aren't dual citizens right now, although it is possible down the road. Legal residency in France appears to be the key factor there.

I think that like adopting children from other countries the child is automatically a US citizen when they come here with the parents so I don't think the twins are dual citizens. The US has this huge issue with people being dual citizens from any country. If you are a legal US citizen you are supposed to give up your citizenship from the other country. (were there enough "citizen" mentions in that sentence?? )
    Yup, with donuts!!

I remember this being brought up before in a discussion somewhere here about adoptions? Basically when the child turns 18, they are given the choice to either remain American or obtain a duel citizenship or even become the original nationality. Till then they are the nationality of their adopted parents. I could be remembering the discussion wrong. It was about illegal immigrants and somehow we got off on international adoptions from there.

I'd like to add to the discussion about a family photo versus a photo of just the twins. I see it more as they don't want the adopted children to feel like they aren't really part of the family. They don't want any sort of separation made, so I don't see anything wrong with a family photo being released instead of just the twins. I don't read anything false there and I can understand the mentality of "they are going to take photos anyways....maybe they will lay off a little if we give them one up front and make money for charity".

Can you imagine how much worse it would have been if they hadn't allowed the photos?

FORT Fogey

If the decision to include all the kids in the photos is made to make the other kids feel its "fair", then to me, it's a decision that is about family instead of privacy. I can appreciate that ... but then Brad and Angelina are making the decision that their kids are fair game in the public eye. I don't think that celebrities can have it both ways. If they want privacy for their kids, they need to keep them private all the time. If they want to reap the benefits that their careers get by being seen as a loving, beautiful family, then they are subjecting their kids voluntarily to the public scrutiny.

There are pros and cons to both approaches, and I fully respect their ability to make the choice that makes the most sense for their family. I will also say that I have not heard a great deal of complaining from Angelina or Brad about the lack of privacy their kids have. But if that tide turns, the complaining would fall on deaf ears with me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3130617;
    PS: I'm sick of people saying Angelina stole him from Jennifer Aniston. I give Brad the benefit of the doubt on that one. He doesn't strike me as someone who would cheat unless the relationship was over.

i agree with you, before they met on the mr/mrs smith there were rumors that jen et brad were on the bubble. it seems like brad wanted kids and she wasn't ready.
    well noew brad is getting plentiful. get ready for baby 7 from latin america

I had a friend who had duel citizinship until he was 18. He was born in America but his parents were Canadian. When he turned 18 he had to pick which one he wanted to be. I think that was America's rule but not certain about that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;3155838;
    The US has this huge issue with people being dual citizens from any country. If you are a legal US citizen you are supposed to give up your citizenship from the other country. (were there enough "citizen" mentions in that sentence?? )
    Actually, "officially" they don't, unless the acquisition of the other citizenship is a deliberate process:

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.
    In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.
    In other words, if the law of the other country gives citizenship by birth (as the U.S. itself does) there's no imperative by the U.S. government to give up the other citizenship, or to surrender your U.S. citizenship. It's only if, when older, you try to become a citizen elsewhere that they consider it an issue.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;3156084;
    get ready for baby 7 from latin america
    REALLY????

It used to be the case that the US made you choose whether to retain your US citizenship or become a citizen elsewhere. A court decision declared that unconstitutional. So now, any US citizen is allowed to acquire dual citizenship without risking loss of their US citizenship. Some other countries do not allow dual citizenship, however. That's why people sometimes have to choose.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread