+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 186 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I'm in a speculative mood right now...what if Katie Holmes is smarter than she appears. Supposing that the Tom-Nic marriage was really a business relationship, Katie may be thinking that if she puts in 5 or 9 years with Tom, that'll give her exposure and connections. Then she can divorce him in a dramatic break-up and go on to make pretty good movies. Nicole didn't really do anything all that spectacular before her marriage...good (like To Die For) but probably not enough to make it absolutely huge--more independent or period pieces. She was probably on track to have a career path similar to Naomi Watts--better than I'd ever have, but still not top of the heap. But with the right connections and the right media spin, she's done really well. Got that Oscar Tom never did, at any rate.

But then, maybe Katie is just a twit...though I really did like her in Go, The Ice Storm, and Wonder Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl

But then, maybe Katie is just a twit...though I really did like her in Go, The Ice Storm, and Wonder Boys.
    I think Katie is a nut case. I have always been creeped out when she says "I wanted to marry him when I was young. I had a poster of him in my room." and now she is engaged to marry him. She probably had Tom so built up in her mind that she can't see the *real* Tom, and isn't thinking straight. She is so enamored by her fantasy that she will even convert to a crazy *religion* for him. That, to me, is really scary. Almost like a cult follower.I had no opinion about Katie before this, but this whole thing sends up red flags to me, and hopefully someone from Katies family will step in and talk some sense into her- at least convince her to wait awhile before the wedding.

I'm in a speculative mood right now...what if Katie Holmes is smarter than she appears. Supposing that the Tom-Nic marriage was really a business relationship, Katie may be thinking that if she puts in 5 or 9 years with Tom, that'll give her exposure and connections. Then she can divorce him in a dramatic break-up and go on to make pretty good movies. Nicole didn't really do anything all that spectacular before her marriage...good (like To Die For) but probably not enough to make it absolutely huge--more independent or period pieces. She was probably on track to have a career path similar to Naomi Watts--better than I'd ever have, but still not top of the heap. But with the right connections and the right media spin, she's done really well. Got that Oscar Tom never did, at any rate.

This is absolutely a good move for Katie in terms of her career and bank account. I guess most of us are naive enough to think that this is more than a business relationship on her end and base our opinions on that. But you are right that this will be good for Katie's career. Unless Tom goes off the deep end and can't get any work - which would hurt Katie as well - but in Hollywood, the deep end is pretty deep.

And if you liked Katie in those other movies and haven't seen Abandon, it's worth a rental (mostly just due to Katie). Like I mentioned a few posts back, seeing Katie in Abandon made me think that she's smarter than I thought and/or a better actress than I thought. She sure seems like a twit now, though.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    TOM Cruise has hired a woman Scientology minder for girlfriend Katie Holmes as she promotes her film Batman Begins.

Tom, 42, is said to insist that Jessica Rodriguez goes everywhere with Katie, 26, who is converting to the religious cult.
    How romantic.

I saw a little sound byte interview with Jimmy Kimmel earlier today. He said that now, the big question is whether they'll get married on the red carpet at the War of the Worlds premiere or it they'll wait

The more I read about Scientology, the less I respect those who believe in it. Also, Katie must not have much of a sense of self to just drop Catholicism (from what I had read, she was very much a practicing Catholic) and follow this silly "religion." If she's got to marry this freak, let her stick around for her 10 year pin. Then she can get HALF!

Assuming Katie is still a virgin (which is what many reports are saying): Would Tom be so gung-ho about marrying her if she wasn't wanting to save herself for marriage? Maybe he's not so much in love as he is horny.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

She was probably on track to have a career path similar to Naomi Watts--better than I'd ever have, but still not top of the heap.
    Don't sell yourself short phonegrrrl, You're career could still take off! To add my two cents about Tom and Katie, it just shows how far they're willing to go to further their careers...

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone
    I think Katie is a nut case. I have always been creeped out when she says "I wanted to marry him when I was young. I had a poster of him in my room." and now she is engaged to marry him. She probably had Tom so built up in her mind that she can't see the *real* Tom, and isn't thinking straight. She is so enamored by her fantasy that she will even convert to a crazy *religion* for him. That, to me, is really scary. Almost like a cult follower.I had no opinion about Katie before this, but this whole thing sends up red flags to me, and hopefully someone from Katies family will step in and talk some sense into her- at least convince her to wait awhile before the wedding.
    From all indications from people that know her in Toledo, Katie Holmes is a very intelligent woman with a very down-home, level head on her shoulders. I remember watching her in interviews during her Dawson's Creek days... and she definitely came across as very well-spoken and intelligent beyond her years.

But in the two short months since she's been *dating* this jerk, she's turned into a blathering idiot that cannot piece together a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    The more I read about Scientology, the less I respect those who believe in it. Also, Katie must not have much of a sense of self to just drop Catholicism (from what I had read, she was very much a practicing Catholic) and follow this silly "religion."
    I have some memories of Scientology that date back about 35 years now. I haven't kept track and got the impression that there were a few changes incorporated when L. Ron Hubbard sought greener pastures of the permanent kind. I don't consider myself invested in this except....

On another board I get a cringeful kick now and then watching Christians from what appears to be about a gazillion different varieties savage one another because their more interested in what separates them rather than what they share in common.

Thought of them when seeing "cult" and "silly "religion"". There seems to be a fair amount of silliness in mainstream religions, and there also appear to be a goodly number of Christian cults.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyone

Interesting similarity between Tom and Katie and John (Travolta) and Kelly Preston. In this interview with Kelly she mentions how when she was 15 years old she was walking out of a movie theater and saw a poster of John Travolta. She had a premonition that she would know him one day. A ' vision" that someday he would "dance into her life"

So I guess scientologists are psychic too? Or was that psychotic

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...travolta&hl=en

There is an AP article in todays local paper about their engagement, but it is one of the 4 photos that accompany it that caught my eye.

Cruise, with shaggy doo head mop is peering at the ring on her finger like someone thats never seen a ring, let alone a diamond.

Perhaps he covets the Peter Pan billing that Michael Jackson got in some quarters. Whatever it is, he looks somewhat disturbed for someone that is in his 40's, but he's not nearly alone. There are far too many boymen that never seem to have grown up these days. Perhaps the floridation conspiracy nuts were onto something back when.

+ Reply to Thread