+ Reply to Thread
Page 182 of 186 FirstFirst ... 82132172173174175176177178179180181182183184185186 LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1858
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes

Re: Miscellaneous Celebrity News

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    I'm so tired of seeing Katie being portrayed as some sort of victim in all this. She went into her marriage to Tom with her eyes wide open, knowing full well he was into scientology. So for her to now come acting like Tom's religious affiliation is just something that just sprung up out of nowhere and she had no choice but to "escape" unsuspectingly for the safety of her and her daughter, is just silly.
    I totally agree. She married him because he's Tom Cruise, she's not much of an actress unlike Nicole, she's a B lister, the camera's weren't following her before till she began dating Tom. Also she could have spoke with him about wanting a divorce instead of blindsiding him, she could have been in a neutral place with her attorney father & done it face to face. In Tom's other high profile relationships I never heard of the women Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz talk bad about him & accuse him of keeping them hostage. Alert to Katie's future beau's, when the going get tough she'll call daddy & bail behind your back.

Re: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes

She made her own choice, but I still consider her a victim.
    Making a choice that you truly feel is right for you doesn't negate victimization.

As someone who was married to an extremely controlling/manipulative/cruel man, I can sympathize with her. It took me much longer to get out, although I didn't have Scientology hovering around either. And I didn't have access to the resources she did either.

I figure she saw Tom as someone wonderful who made her feel wonderful. As someone else mentioned - THE Tom Cruise wanted her for his wife. I'm sure both Tom, his friends & the other bigwigs at Scientology rolled out the red carpet treatment for her, making it seem like Scientology was full of peace, love, contentment, wisdom, beauty, & all sorts of wonderful-wonderful. She wanted to be & do what Tom wanted, & what the heck, they all treated her like they loved her. Then she was pregnant & giving him a child, so more fawning over her.

Then reality kicked in. But she was raised that Marriage is forever & divorce is wrong & "giving up". Plus there was a child involved. So she stuck it out, hoping it would get better. But it didn't. It got worse.
    Next you tell yourself you are somehow being a strong person by sticking with it. Stronger than those "other women" who throw in the towel & give up. You mentally pat yourself on the back for your "strength". Just so it doesn't get worse you can continue, after all, you are "strong".
    Then it gets worse.
    Once again you tell yourself you can take it just so it doesn't get worse.
    Then it gets worse.
    You keep telling yourself the same thing. After all, you are "strong".
    Then it gets worse.
    And on & on, over & over until one day you realize that it's NOT going to get better, only worse. Not only are you absolutely miserable & your health is starting to suffer & you dread every day & it's not healthy for your child(ren), but NO ONE is supposed to live like that. And you don't even want it to work out anymore. You'd rather live in a field in a cardboard box than continue.

Been there done that.(not the cardboard box part) I'm glad she has the resources she does & she got out when she did.

Now that I've thoroughly depressed everyone - off to Big Brother.
    prhoshay, libgirl2, Hyper and 1 others like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How many people look heavily into the religion of somebody that they are about to marry, but decided to just go along with whatever he/she is doing...You are still an idiot at 21, that's for sure, and you're not much further down the road at 27.
    When I was 20, I was going out with a guy that I loved - really, really loved. One night at a party when we had been going out for a year, he said that if he lived in the States he would vote for Reagan. That lead to a discussion about our quite disparate political, social and religious beliefs. I broke up with him a couple of weeks later, because even at the apparently mindless age of 20 I was aware that I while I could be friends with someone whose belief system differs from my own, I certainly couldn't build a life partnership with them. And with that in mind I believe firmly that Katie should have been able to make a rational decision at the age of 27, no matter how much she crushed on him when she was a kid.
    bee stung lips and JulieAnn like this.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by lorac7 View Post
    In Tom's other high profile relationships I never heard of the women Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz talk bad about him & accuse him of keeping them hostage. Alert to Katie's future beau's, when the going get tough she'll call daddy & bail behind your back.
    Maybe not but in some of these high profile marriages, there's a non-disclosure clause that they sign. I'm not sure about Mimi signing one of these because Tom wasn't "TOM CRUISE" then. But could see it with Nic, Penelope and Katie.
    norealityhere likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    When I was 20, I was going out with a guy that I loved - really, really loved. One night at a party when we had been going out for a year, he said that if he lived in the States he would vote for Reagan. That lead to a discussion about our quite disparate political, social and religious beliefs. I broke up with him a couple of weeks later, because even at the apparently mindless age of 20 I was aware that I while I could be friends with someone whose belief system differs from my own, I certainly couldn't build a life partnership with them. And with that in mind I believe firmly that Katie should have been able to make a rational decision at the age of 27, no matter how much she crushed on him when she was a kid.
    I understand what you are saying, but I was not talking about you. I was speaking, in general, about people with different, less-mature mindsets than you seem to have; that's the part I left out, I guess. What we think people should be able to do, and what they can/will do can, often be 2 different things. I do think that Katie has finally matured to a different level, and is making more informed, definite strides. If, intellectually, she were (then) where she is now, I'm guessing that she may have made some different decisions. As the saying goes, when you know better, you do better. Some of us know better waaaay before others do.

Miss Scarlett, your post is extremely well stated and full of truths! I understand exactly where you're coming from. I was with a man who liked to control, too, but he wasn't extremely successful with me, thank goodness. One of the things I've always been most proud of was a sister-in-law telling me, "You were too strong for him." Talk about a badge of honor! I think Katie did exactly what she should have done. SHE took the lead, for a change. No shame in that!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Maybe not but in some of these high profile marriages, there's a non-disclosure clause that they sign. I'm not sure about Mimi signing one of these because Tom wasn't "TOM CRUISE" then. But could see it with Nic, Penelope and Katie.
    I always thought Mimi Rodgers was the one who got Tom into Scientology?

As for Katie being young and knowing vs. not knowing. Yes, I think in your 20's you are capable of figuring it out. I also think she was starstruck and figured it would all just work out. And then she had a kid. I don't know about anyone else, but everything changed when I became a mother. I couldn't comprehend it until it actually happened - meaning I could think things were going to work out and think everything would be fine and I could find a way before I had a kid. Afterwards, it changed. That being said, something about the way this whole thing blew apart out of no where and how quickly it was resolved says there is more to it. Suri is almost 6, isn't she? So if it was really about her and Scientology, why now? I've seen the stuff about that place for kids - but everyone says that doesn't happen until you are older - like 16. I don't get it. Not that I'm supposed to.

Very good points! Motherhood does matter. As far as I am concerned, it can make you even,more defensive, more protective and more wary. I hate it when I see women that say that they are staying where they don't really want to be "for the sake of the children,", but it's all individual decisions. Like Dr. Phil was known for saying, children would rather be from a broken home than in one....and our kids read us, whether we think they do or not. "If Mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy."
    libgirl2 and KatesMom like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by lorac7 View Post
    I totally agree. She married him because he's Tom Cruise, she's not much of an actress unlike Nicole, she's a B lister, the camera's weren't following her before till she began dating Tom. Also she could have spoke with him about wanting a divorce instead of blindsiding him, she could have been in a neutral place with her attorney father & done it face to face. In Tom's other high profile relationships I never heard of the women Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz talk bad about him & accuse him of keeping them hostage. Alert to Katie's future beau's, when the going get tough she'll call daddy & bail behind your back.
    Nichole always speaks highly of him. TC speaks highly of her. I think he loved Holmes, I just hope she stops dressing Suri in the same outfits are she wears Its almost like Suri is Katie's doll.

His adopted children are sure enjoying life- good for them
    bee stung lips likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

You know, we may not know if this life is good for them until waaay down the road. What looks good to ya may not always be good FOR ya! I guess we'll see.

Well they showed Conner, and he is enjoying life. Traveling all over with his music. Isabella moved in with her boyfriend. What looks good for them now, is the same we can hope for our own children waay down the road There are no written guarantees
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread