+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    My goodness!!! Who wants to be a superhero, Tom? Maybe we should send that FORT contest cape over to him right now???
    OK, now *this* really had me laughing out loud, AJane .
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    It's so weird how everyone keeps gushing about how the baby is so beautiful. Don't all babies just look like babies? I've never been compelled to gush about an infant's beauty...
    Well, there not just saying that she's beautiful, Suri's also been described as "normal sized and dark hair" and "no deformities...". I guess I'd rather say a baby's beautiful but it seems cute or adorable are more fitting words.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Reportedly, Paramount pictures has ended its relationship with Tom Cruise.

ETA: I found and article.

Tom Cruise Canned From Paramount

Tom Cruise has just gotten the heave ho from Paramount Pictures.

Sumner Redstone, chief honcho at Viacom, the parent company of Paramount, has ended the 14-year relationship with Cruise's production company, Cruise/Wagner Productions. According to The Wall Street Journal, Redstone cited Cruise's controversial conduct and behavior over the last year as the reason for the split.

Redstone reportedly believed Cruise's antics -- including his now infamous appearances on "Oprah" and "Today" -- had a negative impact on the bottom line for "Mission Impossible III." Redstone said, "As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal." Redstone told The Wall Street Journal: "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Cruise/Wagner produced a string of hits for Paramount, including "Top Gun," "Mission Impossible" and "Days of Thunder."

A rep for Cruise/Wagner told TMZ they will issue a response shortly.
    Link
    Last edited by rt1ky; 08-22-2006 at 07:17 PM.

Kicked out of the hive dzzyedge's Avatar
    I just heard about this on CNBC....interesting.

Cruise/Wagner produced a string of hits for Paramount, including "Top Gun," "Mission Impossible" and "Days of Thunder."
    I wasn't aware that Days of Thunder was a hit. Seemed like more of a "miss" to me.

Here's a link to the story on Yahoo!: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060822/people_nm/media_cruise_dc_1
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leo
    Premium Member
    His PR people are already putting down the spin: it's a new business model!

http://www.accesshollywood.com/news/ah1358.shtml

Report: Paramount Cuts Ties With Tom Cruise

HOLLYWOOD (August 22, 2006) -- Paramount Pictures is terminating its 14-year relationship with Tom Cruise's production company, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Paramount cut ties with Cruise due to the actor's "controversial and sometimes erratic behavior of the past year," the Journal reported.

Cruise, the star of Paramount hits like "Mission: Impossible," "Top Gun" and "Days of Thunder" has based his Cruise/Wagner production company on the Paramount lot since 1992.

However, in the past year, "Cruise's star has fallen in the wake of a series of public incidents in which he stumped for his faith in the Church of Scientology; severely criticized the use of antidepressant drugs; and engaged in sometimes offbeat behavior, such as jumping up and down on Oprah Winfrey's couch to proclaim his love for actress Katie Holmes," the Journal added. "Paramount now believes that Mr. Cruise's behavior hurt the box office of his most recent film, ‘Mission: Impossible III.' Now, Mr. Redstone said he wants to sever the studio's connection to its biggest star."

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone said in an interview with the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

"M:i:III," which is still in theaters, has taken in almost $390 million worldwide.

Cruise's "War of the Worlds" (also a Paramount film) made $591 million at the box office.

After being contacted by the Wall Street Journal, Cruise's representatives presented a different version of events. They said that Tom's production company had decided to set up an independent operation financed by two top hedge funds, which they declined to name. Paula Wagner, Mr. Cruise's partner in the company, said such an arrangement represented a new business model for top actors prominent enough to take advantage of the flood of money coming into Hollywood from Wall Street.

"This is a dream of Tom and mine," Wagner said. She challenged Redstone's assertion that Tom's behavior had cost the studio ticket sales, pointing out that the star's movies have made the studio a huge amount of money.

Bwaaa hahahahahaha.

Mind you, his contract was at an end anyway... but SNAP!

They finally realized that the looney wasn't making them enough money to be worth the almost ENDLESS bad press.

We could hope for a semi-retirement, but what I actually see happening is Mr. Cruise moving increasingly behind the scenes and trying to leverage the few people who still believe in him to give his production company some breaks.

Unless, of course, his ginormous ego pushes him to try and stay in front of the camera instead of behind it. Even Mel-acious realized he couldn't be a movie star forever, as bad his judgment has been on everything else.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Tom Cruise: What? You're ending your contract with my production company! Snakes on a plane man, snakes on a plane!

Krom: Snap! You said it
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    OUCH!

Excerpt:

On a lighter note, Paramount has a new relationship in full bloom with Matt Stone and Trey Parker of South Park fame. The dynamic duo just signed a two picture deal with Paramount Pictures.

Variety had this,

"South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have set two live-action films at Paramount.

Parker and Stone, who have re-christened their Par-based shingle Important Pictures, will first make the Jeff Roda-scripted high school comedy "My All-American." They plan to follow with "Giant Monsters Attack Japan!," a film scripted by J.F. Lawton ("Under Siege") that will combine live-action with the "rubber suit" techniques made popular in Asian imports like "Godzilla."

Parker will direct each film and Stone produce; both will work on the scripts with the writers. Sean Daniel and Nickelodeon will also be producers on "Giant Monsters."

Parker and Stone are aiming for a 2007 production start, timed to a hiatus from "South Park," which this week launched its 10th season.

"My All-American" will sport a young cast, marking the first time Parker and Stone have worked with real actors since the pre-"South Park" features "Cannibal: The Musical!" and "Orgazmo."

"Neither of these movies feel like vehicles for big stars, but this will be our opportunity to find out if there are any actors left who want to work with us," Stone said.

The duo is determined to beef up its Important shingle, with topper Jennifer Howell and longtime series producer Anne Garefino spearheading the search for project acquisitions.

"We learned from the last two films that these can't all be self-generated," Stone said. "Trey and I are script whores, so we'll be very involved in shaping these projects. We've averaged a movie every five years. We'd like to make more and produce films that give other directors a chance."

Well, all's well that ends well. Scientologist out, Scientology bashers in. But as logic would dictate, the Cruise/Wagner production deal will be swept up almost instantly by another studio. It's just too lucrative for the Hollywood heavyweights to resist. MI:3 has brought in $393 million worldwide which is not drop in the bucket. I am sure we will be reporting a follow up to the Cruise story shortly.

Link

ETA: Some news outlets are reported that this combined with the studio reprimand of Lindsay Lohan is a sign that studios are no longer willing to put up with stars' bad behavior.
    Last edited by rt1ky; 08-23-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Fascinating new rumor:

Paula Fortunato, wife of Sumner Redstone, CEO of Viacom (parent corporation of Paramount) could be the reason Cruise got the boot. Or rather, BROOKE SHIELDS is the reason, and Ms. Fortunato the instrument of Cruise's final destruction.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/...cle1222090.ece

Film magnate's wife 'threatened boycott of Cruise movies'
    Reports sweep Hollywood that actor's attack on Brooke Shields is the real reason for his dismissal
    By John Hiscock in Hollywood
    Published: 27 August 2006

A novel theory of what lay behind the sacking of Tom Cruise by his Hollywood studio has emerged: he got up the nose of the main man's wife.

Reports are circulating that the star so angered Paula Fortunato, pictured left, wife of Sumner Redstone, boss of the studio's parent company, that she told her husband she was "boycotting Cruise's product for ever". Some film-world blogs have suggested this statement - provoked apparently by Cruise's criticisms of Brooke Shields's use of prescribed medic-ines, and coming from a 42-year-old wife to her 83-year-old husband - was enough to seal his fate.

But whether it was this, disappointing DVD revenues or the star's increasingly quirky behaviour, the fall-out from his dismissal may only just be beginning.

The decision by the Viacom boss to dispense with Cruise/ Wagner, the company owned by the star and his partner Paula Wagner, has sent a signal to both Wall Street and Hollywood that high-priced talent deals are likely to end.

Cruise and Wagner enjoyed a rich deal at Paramount that in recent times has provided them with as much as £8m a year to cover the costs of running their film company. Cruise is expected to make as much as £60m from Paramount's Mission: Impossible III, which is likely to gross around £500m. By contrast, Paramount, the movie-making arm of Viacom, will make only several million.

In an interview with The Wall Street Journal, Mr Redstone also estimated that Cruise's oddball off-screen behaviour had cost the studio between £80m and £125m in box-office receipts. Cruise is devoting more of his life to Scientology and some suspect he has set his sights on becoming leader of the church. He caused controversy by insisting that a Scientology tent be installed on the set of War of the Worlds to give a form of massage from volunteer Scientology ministers to cast and crew members.

Cruise also became embroiled in a feud with Brooke Shields, who revealed she had become dependent on an anti-depressant drug following the birth of her daughter. Cruise, like all Scientologists, is opposed to prescription medication and scolded her in an interview, calling her irresponsible. Shields retorted that she doesn't take advice from someone "who believes in aliens".

Cruise's increasingly strange behaviour has become more noticeable since he sacked his long-time publicist, Pat Kingsley, last year after she tried to persuade him not to talk about Scientology when publicising a film. Cruise said of his decision to get rid of her: "I give people lots of chances and if they're not doing it at a certain point, hey, I fire them."

Nowadays he seizes every opportunity to talk at length about his faith and about what he sees as the evils of psychiatry - he calls it "an insidious cult".

However, Paramount's divorce from Cruise is by no means the first as the studios, faced with rising costs and dwindling income, cut back on star salaries and big budgets.

Studios have noted that only three of the 10 highest-grossing films of last year - War of the Worlds, Charlie and the Chocolate Factor and Mr and Mrs Smith, were star-driven. The rest were films with no big names, such as Star Wars: Episode III, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and The Chronicles of Narnia.In recent months, studios have shut down high-profile star vehicles because of rising costs, including the proposed Jim Carrey-Ben Stiller film Used Guys.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

+ Reply to Thread