+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 186 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Tom Cruise & Katie Holmes

Cruise's comments about anti-depressants are incredibly dangerous for people suffering from depression, this is worse than celebrities airing their sometimes naive political views.

Brooke knows a lot about depression, one of her co-stars on Suddenly Susan committed suicide, and I saw a very eloquent interview with Brooke on the subject, and she had done her research specifically an excellent book called "An Unquiet Mind". She is all too aware of how juvenile and worse, harmful Tom's comments are.

Scientolgy went on a huge anti-Prozac rampage when it was first released on the market, and it was at the time, a giant leap forward in treating depression. Tom's views have more to do with increasing Scientolgy's numbers, than any sane medical advice.

Kudo's to Brooke for taking him on.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 06-04-2005 at 07:54 PM.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Cruise's comments about anti-depressants are incredibly dangerous for people suffering from depression, this is worse than celebrities airing their sometimes naive political views.

If Brooke Shields (or Marie Osmond) or any celebrity admits they had PPD and it helps ONE woman to realize she's not alone and there is help out there, then it is worth it to bring it to the public eye.

On the flip side, since so many people have a distorted view of celebrities in that they think that celebrities actually do hold the answers to the world's unsolved mysteries, Tom's comments could affect multitudes of people deciding they don't need help for their depression. If his jackass comments deter ONE person from getting help, it's one too many.

He should stick to things he knows. And since he's never had a baby, he should shut the hell up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    Brooke knows a lot about depression, one of her co-stars on Suddenly Susan committed suicide, and I saw a very eloquent interview with Brooke on the subject, and she had done her research specifically an excellent book called "An Unquiet Mind". She is all too aware of how juvenile and worse, harmful Tom's comments are.
    Not to mention she fought long and hard against taking medicine to help her with her post-partum depression. She did not enter into the decision lightly, but once she did, she had immediate benefits. So much so that she got a bit of false bravado and took herself off of them before her doctors told her that it was okay. When she went almost immediately back into her previous state of edginess and indifference towards her child... the decision was apparently well made to have her go back on them.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=796&e=5&u=/eo/20050603/en_celeb_eo/16683

Brooke & Tom's War of the Words By Sarah Hall
    Fri Jun 3, 4:30 PM ET

Brooke Shields has officially engaged with Tom Cruise in what is fast becoming a celebrity war of the words.

After Cruise criticized Shields' use of antidepressants as "irresponsible" during an interview with Access Hollywood last week, Shields has suggested the leading man keep his opinions to himself.

"Tom Cruise's comments are irresponsible and dangerous," Shields said in London last week. "Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens and let women who are experiencing postpartum depression decide what treatment options are best for them."

Shields recently published Down Came the Rain, a personal chronicle of her struggle with depression following the 2003 birth of her daughter, Rowan. The memoir delves into the actress' use of Paxil as a form of treatment for her condition and is meant to inspire other women to seek help.

"Don't be ashamed, and don't disregard what you are feeling," Shields writes in the book. "I recovered only because I got help."

The actress has said she is currently in the process of weaning herself from the drug in order to try for a second child with husband Chris Henchy.

However, as a dedicated follower of Scientology, Cruise is of the belief that mind-altering medications of any kind are "dangerous" and that women should treat conditions such as postpartum depression with "vitamins." Hence his stamp of disapproval on Shields' choice to use Paxil and to discuss that choice in her memoir.

"When you talk about postpartum, you can take people today, women, and what you do is you use vitamins. There is a hormonal thing that is going on, scientifically, you can prove that. But when you talk about emotional, chemical imbalances in people, there is no science behind that," the actor told Access Hollywood.

"When someone says [medication] has helped them, it is to cope, it didn't cure anything. There is no science. There is nothing that can cure them whatsoever," Cruise said.

Cruise went on to make a not-so-subtle jab at the former Suddenly Susan star's professional life.

"I care about Brooke Shields because I think she is an incredibly talented women, [but] look at where her career has gone."

Ouch. True, Shields' latest pilot, New Car Smell, was recently passed over by Fox, but the actress has been earning positive reviews in the role of Roxie Hart in the London theater production of Chicago.

Meanwhile, as anyone not living under a rock knows by now, Cruise's latest project, Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds, is scheduled to open June 29.

Though one would expect Cruise to become increasingly visible as the film's premiere date approaches, it turns out the public may actually see less of the actor than in recent weeks.

Paramount and DreamWorks have cut out the usual promotional press junket in favor of a smaller number of "preselected interview sessions," DreamWorks exec Martin Levy told the New York Times in an article published Thursday.

Speculation exists that Cruise's increasing passion for discussing both his religious beliefs and his feelings for new girlfriend Katie Holmes led to the decision to cut back on his promotional appearances.

Meanwhile, there's talk that Paramount is also considering pulling the plug on Mission: Impossible 3 due to the project's swelling budget.

Levy admitted that studio executives had expressed concern over Cruise's well-publicized, erratic May 23 appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show, during which Cruise bounced around the room, on and off furniture, sank to the floor and repeatedly announced his love for Holmes. (At least we can rule out mind-altering drugs.)

"You can have so much attention on a particular issue that maybe the movie doesn't get as much attention as it might," Levy told the Times of the appearance. "It's the topic of conversation for many reasons."

However, Levy denied that the choice to scrap the press junket had anything to do with Cruise, rather it was made because the movie had already received sufficient promotion
    Last edited by nlmcp; 06-05-2005 at 06:45 AM. Reason: adding links
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

He's just getting weirder and weirder.. I wonder when he'll be on trial for molesting little girls or something equally as strange.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    I didn't realize he was Tom Cruise, MD. What a crock. Sometimes prescription medication is necessary, and sometimes even life-saving. He is either stupid or completely brainwashed.

Tom may need to start taking some "vitamins" himself.

LG.
    OMG, I can't believe Tom's "people" let him make such a bone-headed and mean-spirited attack on someone who is spreading a message of hope for women with PPD. Good grief, how could Tom ever be the expert on how some women feel after giving birth? Heck, I'm a mom, but I was lucky to never experience those feelings, so I have no idea what Brooke went through. I would never dream to tell someone what they did to survive (under the supervision of medical professionals) and to be able to raise their child wasn't OK. Stick to being a lunatic who jumps around talk-show sets trying to convince America that you're in love with a girl half your age, ewh.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

How incredibly irresponsible of him to make that statement.

I've lost any respect for that man. I pity Nicole Kidman for having to endure him as long as she did. He's clearly an insensitive lunatic.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Really.. I wonder how she put up with him..

+ Reply to Thread