+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree611Likes

Thread: Public Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment/Assault: Harvey Weinstein's avalanche

Public Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment/Assault: Harvey Weinstein's avalanche

Gretchen Mol issued a statement yesterday in response to the Harvey Weinstein scandal. It appears to be the first time she has addressed rumours about her based on a blind item by Celebrity Gossip vet Elaine Lui (laineygossip.com).

Mol actually got a "Guest Column" in the Hollywood Reporter with the comments closed immediately after publication. (I just happened to see the article as soon as it was posted.)

For 10 years or so, I've been aware of rumors that I had some kind of transactional relationship with Harvey Weinstein. They seemed to start on a gossip website that made money by peddling "blind" items.
    Gretchen Mol Breaks Silence on Harvey Weinstein and Misogynistic Rumors (Guest Column) | Hollywood Reporter

The blind item to which Mol is referring to is:

"Casting Couch Lainey Posted by Lainey 3:32 AM December 29, 2009"

Casting Couch blind item

Various people at the time posted their guesses on who the blind item was referring to Weinstein and, as far as the "reject," Mol was the most popular opinion.

e.g: https://laineyblinds.blogspot.ca/200...ing-couch.html

Yesterday Elaine Lui was asked if she was talking about Mol in an interview with Vox. While so many women are coming out of the woodwork to take a stand against Weinstein, Lui won't woman up! She says people are still scared of Weinstein, but can't even admit she's one of them!!

I have never confirmed or denied who that item is about. I am not confirming or denying it now, and I have no plans to do so. But I want to say clearly: The fear is beyond just actors and staff who work for him. The fear is everyone that orbits the industry. Reporters donít want to cross him. Producers who work on TV donít want to cross him. Itís very scary, and many people were very scared for many years. Theyíre still scared.
    https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/...rvey-weinstein
    Punkin likes this.
    "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment." -- Jane Austen

Only old on the outside! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Harvey Weinstein (incl. Elaine Lui's Old Blind Item and Gretchen Mol's New Denial

Is Harvey going to be the next Bill Cosby?
    I'm Paula.

FORT Fogey

Re: Harvey Weinstein (incl. Elaine Lui's Old Blind Item and Gretchen Mol's New Denial

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Yes. Only there are complaints about Harvey within the statute of limitation so he won't get as much legal protection as Cosby.
    libgirl2 and AZChristian like this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

I think his atrocities will go beyond Cosby because he has a longer reach and more tentacles in the industry.
    libgirl2 and AZChristian like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

He has also been a major campaign contributor. There are many powerful people out there who try to protect him to protect themselves.
    AZChristian likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I think his atrocities will go beyond Cosby because he has a longer reach and more tentacles in the industry.
    I agree with that. I also think that he abused his power more to get to women than Cosby did. Cosby took advantage of the fact the being a star women would come to him. Weinstein controlled people's careers based on whether or not they'd accept his advances.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Flummoxed Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Funny Bubbles Champion, Wonderputt Champion Fo'Realz?'s Avatar

Hopefully, the time will finally come when the victims of these disgusting predatory scumbags can come forward without the very real fear that their abusers will bring the full force of their money/power/influence to further crush them and destroy their careers and reputations.

This kind of thing is FAR too pervasive across all kinds of workplaces!
    I never worked in the entertainment industry (or in politics, for that matter), but I was driven to leave what was a developing career in the banking industry because of a predator who (mis)used their power and position in this sick and cowardly way - and whenever I share my story with friends, it is only quite rarely that those friends do not have an equally bad (or even worse) story of their own to tell.
    Last edited by Fo'Realz?; 10-12-2017 at 10:18 AM.
    Punkin, AZChristian and Eliza9999 like this.
    "When someone shows you who they are, believe them ..." - Maya Angelou

Nie můj cyrk, nie moje małpy

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I wish these women had come forward earlier! These guys are disgusting.
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Fo'Realz? View Post
    Hopefully, the time will finally come when the victims of these disgusting predatory scumbags can come forward without the very real fear that their abusers will bring the full force of their money/power/influence to further crush them and destroy their careers and reputations.

This kind of thing is FAR too pervasive across all kinds of workplaces!
    I never worked in the entertainment industry (or in politics, for that matter), but I was driven to leave what was a developing career in the banking industry because of a predator who (mis)used their power and position in this sick and cowardly way - and whenever I share my story with friends, it is only quite rarely that those friends do not have an equally bad (or even worse) story of their own to tell.
    I hope so too, but sadly, I don't think there will ever come a time when victims of abuse will be able to come forward without risking losing their jobs or suffering some other kind of harm. I was a middle-aged professional woman in my 50s (!) who never in a million years thought this could happen to me --- but it did. To prevent losing my job, I had to succumb to frequent sexual innuendos and physical attempts at sexual contact -- until I finally could not stand it any more and left that workplace. And being at the age I was, it was impossible for me to secure another job that was anything even close to what I had to walk away from. But in my case (as in so many others) my boss had total power in that company, and there was nothing I could. Suffer the abuse or leave.
    Punkin, Fo'Realz? and Eliza9999 like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I wish these women had come forward earlier! These guys are disgusting.
    Rachel Maddow did a GREAT 40 minutes on this story two nights ago, which ended in an interview with Ronan Farrow. They talked about why they came forward now, and I think the reasons they gave were very valid.

First, they said the progression of Bill Cosby, Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly being taken down first had to happen - in that order. Those set the tone that people will believe women when they come forward and it's safe. Second, Farrow pointed out that Weinstein's influence in HOllywood had diminished. His movies are not as successful as they used to be, and his power ranking has dropped from #3 to being in the 200s.

The table had to be set to make it safe for women to speak on the record, and thank goodness now it has!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 50 1234567891011 ... LastLast