+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859 LastLast
Like Tree779Likes

Thread: Public Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment/Assault: Harvey Weinstein's avalanche

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

Re: Public Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment/Assault: Harvey Weinstein's avalanche

Oprah has been close to Weinstein and his wife for years. So has Streep and Clinton. Seals point is there's no way Oprah was ignorant of Weinstein's behavior since it was an open secret in Hollywood. Hollywood is a small town, in many ways. Newcomers might not know about Weinstein, but people like Oprah and Streep who claim utter ignorance? They had to know about the rumors, but ignored them, Which means they did nothing to help the victims. I believe that is Seals point. To some, Oprahs speech came across as hypocritical and self-serving at the expense of the victims of Weinstein and others, in general. That was what Seal was hitting upon.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 01-12-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    dagwood, Miss_Griss and Brooks like this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Re: Public Figures Accused of Sexual Harassment/Assault: Harvey Weinstein's avalanche

Oprah's speech was her usual self-serving verbiage. She's always inserting herself into hot topic situations to remind us of the story about her mother having to clean people's homes to put food on the table as well as the story about Steven Spielberg choosing her for the role of Sophia in The Color Purple. Yawn.

I can't respect a person who claims to care about others getting a chance to have their voices heard all while having herself on the cover of every 'O' magazine. How narcissistic! She could use her magazine as a platform to showcase all the unsung heroes she pretends to care about, but instead she promotes herself. Month after month.

2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post
    Oprah's speech was her usual self-serving verbiage. She's always inserting herself into hot topic situations to remind us of the story about her mother having to clean people's homes to put food on the table as well as the story about Steven Spielberg choosing her for the role of Sophia in The Color Purple. Yawn.

I can't respect a person who claims to care about others getting a chance to have their voices heard all while having herself on the cover of every 'O' magazine. How narcissistic! She could use her magazine as a platform to showcase all the unsung heroes she pretends to care about, but instead she promotes herself. Month after month.

She started doing that, because she didn't want skinny models on the front Readers were asked for input.. Guess who's on the front of Martha Stewarts magazine, more often than not, yup Martha...
    Oprah has always loved Sydney Poitier, she told that story for a reason, maybe you missed it. Here's hoping a little black girl or boy watching Oprah did not. She's given and done a lot for black girls, why would you call her names ..smh.Sad.
    Dinahann, Imperfect1 and Fo'Realz? like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

way too close to moose, black bears and other country critters

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...y-my-rapist-w/

Juanita Broaddrick slams Oprah: ‘My rapist was/is your friend, Bill Clinton’

Juanita Broaddrick wants to know why plaudits are being heaped upon Oprah Winfrey for her Golden Globes speech despite offering muted criticism of former President Bill Clinton for decades.
    Celebrities cheered Sunday when Ms. Winfrey told abusive men that “their time is up” due to the #MeToo movement, but Ms. Broaddrick says she’s a hypocrite. The 75-year-old, who has maintained for decades that Mr. Clinton raped her in 1978, took to social media this week to blast Ms. Winfrey — a longtime supporter of the Democratic Party — for selective moral outrage.

It goes back to politics. Anita Broderick along with all of Clintons accusers are money hungry liars. But, Trumps accusers are victims.
    Last edited by redsox girl; 01-13-2018 at 02:36 AM.
    Miss_Griss and JosephD like this.
    Well, I won't back down/No I won't back down/You can stand me up at the gates of hell/But I won't back down
    No I'll stand my ground//And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down/Gonna stand my ground/Well I know what's right/I got just one life/In a world that keeps on pushin' me around/But I'll stand my ground/And I won't back down-Tom Petty

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    She started doing that, because she didn't want skinny models on the front Readers were asked for input.. Guess who's on the front of Martha Stewarts magazine, more often than not, yup Martha...
    Oprah has always loved Sydney Poitier, she told that story for a reason, maybe you missed it. Here's hoping a little black girl or boy watching Oprah did not. She's given and done a lot for black girls, why would you call her names ..smh.Sad.

I didn't miss the Sidney Poitier story. I've heard it every time she's told it. Same with the story about her all girl's school in Africa. I didn't say Oprah hasn't done ANY good in her life. Don't make what I said so 'all or nothing.'

My criticism was in regard to Oprah's self-serving narcissism. So, she puts herself on every cover of her magazine because she doesn't want to feature skinny models? That makes no sense coming from someone who's spokesperson for Weight Watchers and who is always trying to get thinner. If Oprah has a prejudice against models who are thinner than herself, she could feature any number of non-skinny models on the cover. Or as I mentioned earlier, she could feature a different unsung hero each month or some undiscovered talent who would appreciate someone with Oprah's means to make a difference in their life giving them a platform to showcase their talent or heroism -- much like Ellen does on her show. Oprah features herself because she's full of herself.

My negative feeling toward Oprah doesn't equate to supporting men who sexually harass women. They're creepy slimeballs. Still, Oprah is a very smart woman and I don't believe for a minute she had no prior knowledge of Harvey Weinstein's sexual antics or that of her longtime friend Bill Cosby.
    2016 Yearbook Title: Only FORT Member Known To Have Gotten An Air Traffic Controller Back On Track.

CCL

Oprah puts herself on the cover of her magazine because that is what sells. Same reason Vogue puts celebrities rather than unknown (skinny) models on its cover, even though it is a fashion magazine. I have no idea if inside is all Oprah but the reason for the cover is easy. As for whether Oprah knew...noone besides herself can really say. She may have known Weinstein was sleazy or she may have not, I don’t know how much gossip she listens to. I doubt she knew the full range of his behaviour. Same with Clinton. Seal et al attacking Oprah for this reason is stupid.
    Dinahann, Fanny Mare and Fo'Realz? like this.
    Before we begin, what are the parameters of the guessing game? How many guesses do I get? Is there a time limit?

c'mon inner peace... Phart Blossom's Avatar

They all knew.
    Nobody is perfect...everyone's ass has a crack in it.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by JosephD View Post

Ok, technically you might have a point on both accounts, Joseph. But you know what? Even if you are right, any person who has done SO MUCH INCREDIBLE GOOD FOR SO MANY PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD, should be allowed to have a few flaws or to make a few mistakes or misjudgments.

And if you don't know specifically about all of the WONDERFUL things Oprah has done for people, I strongly suggest you watch a recording of the 2 hour tv special put together in her honor: “Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular” (May, 2011) aired when she retired The Oprah Show after 25 years. I didn't realize how much good she had done either, but seeing it all laid out at once, totally BLEW MY SOCKS OFF. Say what you will, but Oprah is one A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. woman!!!
    Dinahann likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1 View Post
    Ok, technically you might have a point on both accounts, Joseph. But you know what? Even if you are right, any person who has done SO MUCH INCREDIBLE GOOD FOR SO MANY PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD, should be allowed to have a few flaws or to make a few mistakes or misjudgments.

And if you don't know specifically about all of the WONDERFUL things Oprah has done for people, I strongly suggest you watch a recording of the 2 hour tv special put together in her honor: “Surprise Oprah! A Farewell Spectacular” (May, 2011) aired when she retired The Oprah Show after 25 years. I didn't realize how much good she had done either, but seeing it all laid out at once, totally BLEW MY SOCKS OFF. Say what you will, but Oprah is one A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. woman!!!
    Great post, thank you..
    Dinahann and Imperfect1 like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Phart Blossom View Post
    They all knew.
    Exactly! People are quick to defend Oprah, Meryl Streep, Georgina Chapman et al but just as equally certain that every male affiliate of an accused sexual predator must have known for several years.
    PIMguy, Critical, AmyKay and 2 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread