+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Harvey Weinstein (incl. Elaine Lui's Old Blind Item and Gretchen Mol's New Denial)

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Re: Harvey Weinstein (incl. Elaine Lui's Old Blind Item and Gretchen Mol's New Denial

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Rachel Maddow did a GREAT 40 minutes on this story two nights ago, which ended in an interview with Ronan Farrow. They talked about why they came forward now, and I think the reasons they gave were very valid.

First, they said the progression of Bill Cosby, Roger Ailes and Bill O'Reilly being taken down first had to happen - in that order. Those set the tone that people will believe women when they come forward and it's safe. Second, Farrow pointed out that Weinstein's influence in HOllywood had diminished. His movies are not as successful as they used to be, and his power ranking has dropped from #3 to being in the 200s.

The table had to be set to make it safe for women to speak on the record, and thank goodness now it has!
    Did you see this?? Twitter suspends vocal Weinstein accuser Rose McGowan | Entertainment & Showbiz from CTV News
    beerbelly likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Re: Harvey Weinstein (incl. Elaine Lui's Old Blind Item and Gretchen Mol's New Denial

I had a reporter say to me 'unfortunately this is the tip of the iceberg'.

I know with this story I think back at what I didn't report, and also hearing of other's horrible stories.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by beerbelly View Post
    I had a reporter say to me 'unfortunately this is the tip of the iceberg'.

I know with this story I think back at what I didn't report, and also hearing of other's horrible stories.
    And how many people knew about it and didn't say a thing?
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    And how many people knew about it and didn't say a thing?
    I'd say many! He wants a second chance, I say fat chance buster! Plus rehab isn't going to do a thing for you! smh..he was chatting with reporters like this was just a little thing that has interrupted his life.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I'd say many! He wants a second chance, I say fat chance buster! Plus rehab isn't going to do a thing for you! smh..he was chatting with reporters like this was just a little thing that has interrupted his life.
    If he had numerous consensual affairs, then yes rehab is a good idea. This went beyond "affairs"
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    It would not surprise me at all if at this point he does see this as a little thing to interrupt his life. He's abused the power he has for so long and done whatever he wants with women, in business, and in life that I think his inflated sense of self would have him convinced that he just needs to lay low for a couple of weeks and then resume regular life as soon as people are distracted by another outrage. Sadly ... he could be right.
    Imperfect1 likes this.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    It would not surprise me at all if at this point he does see this as a little thing to interrupt his life. He's abused the power he has for so long and done whatever he wants with women, in business, and in life that I think his inflated sense of self would have him convinced that he just needs to lay low for a couple of weeks and then resume regular life as soon as people are distracted by another outrage. Sadly ... he could be right.
    Well the UK is looking into this, I don't think its going away anytime soon..
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

Investigators will stay on top of it from a legal standpoint - although both the police and DA believed they had a solid case against him once before and he managed to influence the right people so that charges were never filed. But in terms of public discourse, it will die down as soon as another outrage comes along. It's easy for Hollywood to talk about supporting the women that have come forward, because nowadays, "support" means "I tweeted about that". The big question in my mind is will Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan suddenly get high profile movie offers that have been eluding them the past few years? Because THAT would truly be support. I don't see it happening. That's why I think that in many ways, Harvey will keep on being Harvey.
    "The way we treat people we strongly disagree with is a report card on what we've learned about love, compassion, and kindness." - Marcandangel

"There should be less value placed on agreement and more on understanding each other"

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Apparently there's ONE GOOD THING that has come out of these recent serial rapists/sexual-abusers cases -- because the police and the legislatures have begun to understand that it often does take victims many years to work up the courage to come forward, many states have changed or discontinued their statute of limitations for these sexual crimes. So now, victims of crimes that occurred many years ago would be much more able to file criminal charges against their abusers.

What is the Statute of Limitations for Rape?
    https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=34338
    AcookerTV likes this.

I hadn't realized the extent that the media has chosen not to report on this issue. Weinstein, and I'll bet a bunch of others, could have been exposed years ago.

We have had to become much more skeptical about what we're told is supposed to be the truth and what we're supposed to believe everyone believes and therefore must be the truth. Priests are not gods. Moguls are not gods. Fake tv personalities (Dr. Huxtable) are not gods.
    libgirl2, Cootie and Imperfect1 like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast