+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Diamond

Re: Dustin Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by KeepItReal;2358315;
    I REALLY think he's trying to show the world that he is the "anti-screech". He wants to show that he's not some nerd boy who leads the life that you would have imagined Screech to grow up and lead. He is a victim of having played one of those characters that you are never allowed to grow up and leave behind, especially if you're not a strong actor who can branch out and do diverse roles. He's much like Steve Urkel-who by the time Family Matters ended was a 30 year old nerd who still tripped over everything. He needs to face it, to much of the public he's just Screech, and now to much of the public they don't care that Dustin Diamond is on CFC being a jerk, they just think that Screech turned out to be a jackass. To the rest of the world that doesn't know him as Screech, well, they never saw his little Saturday morning program to begin with and just think that whoever the heck that guy on CFC is annoying and needs to go back into obscurity.

I saw an interview with streve urkel recently and he doesn't have any issues with being a former child star- he seemed pretty content being himself with very little interest in hanging onto his past.When his show ended he was stil young- he went on to graduate from university- no bitterness or hang ups or regrets, no clinging to the past on his part. Well adjusted is the word. Dustin Diamond-not so much. Definite Bonadduce possibilities in his future.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2360963;
    You'd be hard pressed to find someone of almost any generation that doesn't know who Marcia Brady was. The same can't be said for Screech.
    Actually, Screech and Saved by the Bell was a big deal in the 80s. This was one of the No. 1 shows out. The show started as a Saturday morning kid's show and quickly turned into a prime time ratings giant. It even took the ensemble group from junior high through college (went from Fox to NBC for the college version). They were also merchandise giants as well and just like 90210, they had their own set of dolls. Even though Mark-Paul Gosselaar was the star, most remembered three of the supporting actors, Dustin as Screech, Mario Lopez, and Tiffani Thiessen. Elizabeth Berkley did a major flop..er..movie about showgirls and Lark Voorhees moved on to other projects

SBTB is still big in syndication even now so a whole new set of tweens are warming up to the SBTB gang. E just did a True Hollywood Story about this show.

Basically why Dustin can't get away from his Screech persona. He never got to do anything else noteworthy other than SBTB and its two spin-offs like the others. So now he's become a bitter jerk. He is presently finished working on The story of HAMLET A.D.D, a series or movie (not sure)

Tiffani Thiessen went on to join the 90210 cast which made her hugely popular during the 90s and is presently in a the What about Brian TV series now

Mark-Paul Gosselaar have done some movies and has just wrapped up a stint on a new series now.

Elizabeth Berkley has done serveral made for TV movies and has just guest starred on Law & Order CI and several other dramas

Mario Lopez does a lot of hosting of game and talk shows and just appeared on Dancing with the Stars last season. He's now working on two sitcoms in production

Lark Voorhees is presently working on the movie "The Black Man's Guide to Understanding Black Women"

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;2361034;
    I saw an interview with streve urkel recently and he doesn't have any issues with being a former child star- he seemed pretty content being himself with very little interest in hanging onto his past.When his show ended he was stil young- he went on to graduate from university- no bitterness or hang ups or regrets, no clinging to the past on his part. Well adjusted is the word. Dustin Diamond-not so much. Definite Bonaduce possibilities in his future.
    Jaleel Ahmad Massoud White is presently a regular on Boston Legal.

Snoozin' on the beach

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2361023;
    I couldn't agree more, Shady! I never watched Saved By the Bell--to this day, I haven't seen an episode. I was in late high school and college when it was on, and I was too busy to watch Nickelodeon or whatever it came on in the afternoons. The Brady Bunch, however, is iconic and has a much wider reach, generation-wise. Dustin reminds me a lot of an even angrier version of Corey Feldman on the Surreal Life: he has a sense of entitlement to a viable adult acting career because he put in all this time and gave up a normal childhood. Not that I'm particularly invested in Dustin Diamond's mental health, but I really wonder if it's all that good of an idea for him to go on this show. Plus, his anger issues are distracting from the potential entertainment that they dynamic duo of Ross and Warren G. could bring, as they work, Rocky-like, on Ross's blooming boxing career.
    I never watched it either. I was in my mid to 20's at the time. I knew character names just from babysitting my nieces who watched. When DD was cast for CFC, I had no idea who it was by the name or even the picture. I had to read the bio to find out who he was.

Dustin has no talent and he is riding the coatails of that character. He can b*tch all he wants but he'd be unknown and ignored if he didn't keep reminding people he was Screech and he knows it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;2361034;
    I saw an interview with streve urkel recently and he doesn't have any issues with being a former child star- he seemed pretty content being himself with very little interest in hanging onto his past.When his show ended he was stil young- he went on to graduate from university- no bitterness or hang ups or regrets, no clinging to the past on his part. Well adjusted is the word. Dustin Diamond-not so much. Definite Bonadduce possibilities in his future.
    Let me clarify....I wasn't commenting on J. White the person, the comparison lies in that the role is a role that people hate to let go of. Some characters are so memorable that they can box an actor in...or where no matter what you see them in you think "Urkel" or "Screech". Some actors accept that fate, others, like Dustin, spend wayyyy too much time fighting to get away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shady64;2361063;
    Dustin has no talent and he is riding the coatails of that character. He can b*tch all he wants but he'd be unknown and ignored if he didn't keep reminding people he was Screech and he knows it.
    Exactly Unless I'm mistaken, he does stand-up and many clubs advertise him as Screech from SBTB. Apparently, he only wants to be Screech when it puts money in his pockets or his face on TV.

I loved it when Maureen reminded him that none of them are big time (and she's a TV icon). As far as I'm concerned, he's the least big time of the bunch and if he leaves, I won't care a bit. He's an ugly-hearted, mean-spirited, small person.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

He also goes out of his way to correct any contestant that his name is "Dustin" when they refer to him as "Screech"....and then I love how they roll their eyes when he corrects them!
    Seems that Mr. Diamond has that "Legend In His Own Mind" disease......

Quote Originally Posted by madeboxer;2361061;
    Jaleel Ahmad Massoud White is presently a regular on Boston Legal.
    Probably about five years ago, my friend and I ran into Jaleel White at a club/bar here in Hollywood. My friend is two years younger than I and we went to the same junior high and high school. I had graduated (from junior high) already when he was going there - he was a year younger than my friend, but apparently back in the day they were friendly. the three of us had an hour long conversation about our hometown and many other things and I remember thinking that he was just a regular -albieit nice and sweet - guy.

just a little tidbit of trivia.
    Last edited by reddahlia; 05-01-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    "A prayer for the wild at heart, kept in cages."

Quote Originally Posted by Beccarella;2361892;
    He also goes out of his way to correct any contestant that his name is "Dustin" when they refer to him as "Screech"....and then I love how they roll their eyes when he corrects them!
    Seems that Mr. Diamond has that "Legend In His Own Mind" disease......
    He has an awfully high opinion of himself, considering he just sold "Save Screech's House" T-shirts and expected fans to shell out $15 a pop for them to raise $250,000 before his house got repo'd.
    In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant...I recommend pleasant.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Geez...what a jerk-boy. He claims to be in a relationship. Who is the idiot?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread