+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 8/29 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I watched out of morbid curiosity, since seeing celebs out of their comfort zone can be fun, although the horrid VH-1 show with singing "celebrities" lost me after one episode. There were some who could sing, some who had promise, and then there was Chris Jericho, who looks pretty but just didn't pull off the singing. If this were a summer show, I'd probably watch it, but when Grey's Anatomy starts, forget it.

One word for this show - Dreck. The only redeeming thing about it is that I won't be torn between it and CSI and Grey's each week.

Shoot, I was looking forward to Little Richard.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey
    something tells me this show would have been in danger of cancelation if Simon cowell wasn't the inventor. It will to thru the end. Fox is a sucker for simon

FORT Regular
    I'm afraid the only good things about the show for me, were the comments from the two credible judges, Marie Osmond and David Foster. They actually sounded like good judges and had some great comments. About half way into the show I had to use the mute button for good portions of time! I doubt if I'll watch it again.

Pat O'Brian, on his crappy show, just informed me that "Celebrity Duets is a hit". Should I believe Mr. Pervy Pants or not?

I think in a few minutes Entertainment Tonight also will inform me that "Celebrity Duets is a hit". Obviously Simon knows who to bribe.

EDIT - Yup. They just did, right before a story on how "mean" Marie Osmond on. Which she's not, since she was Paula Abduling at least half the time, but they obviously needed a story.

I hate these entertainment shows' notion of reporting. They just reported that "Lucy Lawless was flawless", mostly because it rhymes I think.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I'm really surprised about all the negative comments about the show. I have some problems with the format (assigning songs/partners & voting), but most of the contestants and pros make up for any shortcomings.

AI is hugely popular and this show is far superior to that based on talent and name/face recognition. Singing a duet is much harder than singing a solo. We can only hope they are saving the good songs for later.

Jai is a handsome man with a good voice, but makes odd faces when he sings. I'm surprised that Alfonse was mocked for being a showman, when Benji on SYTYCD was revered for the same thing. Lucy got stuck with a man (Michael) who acted like she wasn't even there and a man (Smokey) that had a voice almost impossible to pair with (unless you're one of the Miracles). To me Carly comes across as arrogant for a short, chubby girl with a voice best used in a shower.

Gladys Knight was the best.

dberk, its not the "Duet" part that I am having a problem with. If you just isolate the solo part of the songs, the problems seem to be with pitch, the (in)ability to hold a note without warbling, no power/command of their diaphragms, etc. etc.

With the exception of Jai and Alphonso, its like watching a local amateur singing contest, only with celebrities and the contrast of GOOD singers emphasizing how bad the amateurs are by their very presence.

Also, as for the show itself, it seems to have some crappy production values, really old/bad songs, and a cheesy idiot for a host.
    Last edited by Krom; 08-30-2006 at 09:34 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I am really confused! the Forum title says: FOX, Thursdays @ 8pm & Fridays @ 9pm But all these posts are from Yesterday and today. I know I have been sick and distracted lately.. But I am sure it's only wednesday now. Am I way out of it?
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    I am really confused! the Forum title says: FOX, Thursdays @ 8pm & Fridays @ 9pm But all these posts are from Yesterday and today. I know I have been sick and distracted lately.. But I am sure it's only wednesday now. Am I way out of it?
    This was the 2 hour season premiere to get people sucked into it. The first victim was eliminated by the judges tonight. Next week there will be different pros and eliminations will be based on faulty voter call-ins.

I agree with the poster that said it seems like there isn't enough rehersal time based on interaction and the way they don't always sing together. It would be interesting to find out where the fault lies here.
    Last edited by dberk; 08-30-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    It will be moving to the Thursday/Friday night format next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast