+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carly Patterson

Carly Patterson

At the 2004 Summer Olympics, Carly Patterson became the first American woman in 20 years to win the gymnastics All-Around Olympic gold medal – since Mary Lou Retton in 1984. Patterson was born Feb. 4, 1988, in Baton Rouge, LA, the oldest of two children of Ricky and Natalie Patterson.

Patterson began gymnastics in 1994 after attending a cousin’s birthday party at Elite Gymnastics in Baton Rouge. Less than a decade later, she made her debut at the senior international elite level, winning back-to-back American Cup titles in 2003 and 2004, as well as the title of 2004 U.S. Co-National Champion. Patterson was also a part of the 2003 World Championships team, winning a silver medal in the all-around and helping lead the U.S. to their first-ever World Championship team gold medal. It was at this competition that her signature beam dismount, an Arabian double front, was officially named “the Patterson.” A year later, she achieved her ultimate goal in gymnastics by earning a trip to the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.

Patterson came home from Athens with three Olympic medals. The U.S. women won silver in the team competition – the first medal for the U.S. women in eight years, as well as the second-highest finish for Americans in a fully attended Olympic Games. Patterson also earned a silver medal in her specialty, the balance beam. As 2004 Olympic All-Around Champion, Patterson not only became the USA’s first Olympic all-around champion in 20 years, but also the first American woman to win an Olympic all-around title in a fully attended Olympic Games.

After the Olympics, Patterson appeared on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno,” “The Late Show with David Letterman” and “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.” She also was featured on a network television special and adorned the front of a Wheaties box. She presented an award at the 2004 MTV Video Music Awards; was recognized by Glamour Magazine at the 2004 "Women Of The Year Awards”; and was honored as the March of Dimes’ “Sportswoman of the Year.”

In 2005, Patterson was selected as one of Teen People’s 20 Teens Who Will Change the World; walked the runway at New York Fashion Week to promote “The Heart Truth Red Dress Collection” to prevent heart disease; was nominated for the Sullivan Award honoring the best amateur athlete; and was nominated for an ESPY Award in the Best Olympic Performance category.

Patterson’s interests include singing, which is the next career she would like to pursue. Most recently, she published her autobiography, “Be Strong,” and made an appearance in the movie “Stick It.”

Hey, she's a winner. In more ways than one. I hope this little bundle of energy shows up some of the veterans! Go girl!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Aw. Isn't she just cute and bubbly-looking and precious? I really hope she can sing, because I would hate to have to rip her to shreds.

Am I supposed to know who this chick is?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherSister View Post
    Aw. Isn't she just cute and bubbly-looking and precious? I really hope she can sing, because I would hate to have to rip her to shreds.
    I love the bi-polar nature of your post, MotherSister! And I'm not saying that you're bi-polar, by the way. Just "cute and bubbly" & "rip to shreds" are rarely used in the same sentence.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Stick to the balance beam, honey, 'cuz you sure as hell can't sing!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I like Carly. I think she's there to have fun and have a new experience, rather than try to resurrect a B-level or lower career.
    I voted for her in week 2, and I was glad she stayed.
    I think she's cute, bubbly, and very refreshing.
    I think if she did some material like Debbie Gibson, or Britney Spears, she would be quite good and entertaining. She also sounded good on the LeeAnn Womack song.

I'm sorry but she may be cute/sweet but she can't sing at all. I was shocked she wasn't the one sent home.

I've got mixed feelings about her, but I think she has the potential to improve.

I think she's got tons of potential, I don't think she's that bad at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast