+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Celebrity Apprentice 3/18/2012 episode 5 - I'M GOING TO MOP THE FLOOR WITH YOU

Re: Celebrity Apprentice 3/18/2012 episode 5 - I'M GOING TO MOP THE FLOOR WITH YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Clay came out, because someone threatened to out him. It hasn't helped or hurt his career imho.I am glad he did though
    That is not why he came out. Clay said that after the birth of his son he felt he had to be open about himself in order to be a good role model and it most certainly did hurt his career. Big time.

He was a guest on Adam Corolla's podcast a few months ago and this is a small piece of their chat when Adam asked him about it.

FORT Fogey

Re: Celebrity Apprentice 3/18/2012 episode 5 - I'M GOING TO MOP THE FLOOR WITH YOU

Penn was shooting down Lou's ideas because they were bad. He said, this is what comics do, you it write down, then shoot it down until you get an idea that no one can shoot down and go from there to flesh it out. Something to that effect. He may have been condescending in the words he chose, we don't know because editing didn't show the complete brainstorming session but Penn is a good man and should not be discounted for any exhange he had with Lou!
    march, BuckeyeAddict and jucamer like this.

That is not why he came out. Clay said that after the birth of his son he felt he had to be open about himself in order to be a good role model and it most certainly did hurt his career. Big time.

I read he was threatened after AI. I dont really care .I like him gay or not ( it isnt like most of us didnt know)

cheers!
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I still am giggling over Lou's comment that Penn is "a bull in a china closet with a superior attitude."

A) I've never heard of a china closet. A china shop, yes, but why would someone put china in a closet? Unless he meant a cabinet, but how the heck would anyone stuff a bull in a cabinet?
    B) I've never seen a bull with a superior attitude. Why would a bull have a superior attitude, is it something to do with the fact that he is the worlds' one and only to have been stuffed into a china closet? (I know he meant Penn, but it was said wrong and comes off a pretty funny)

Perhaps it is only me, but I find mix-ups with language like that to be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    I still am giggling over Lou's comment that Penn is "a bull in a china closet with a superior attitude."

A) I've never heard of a china closet. A china shop, yes, but why would someone put china in a closet? Unless he meant a cabinet, but how the heck would anyone stuff a bull in a cabinet?
    B) I've never seen a bull with a superior attitude. Why would a bull have a superior attitude, is it something to do with the fact that he is the worlds' one and only to have been stuffed into a china closet? (I know he meant Penn, but it was said wrong and comes off a pretty funny)

Perhaps it is only me, but I find mix-ups with language like that to be hilarious.
    Actually, one time he said Penn was "a raging bull in a china closet"--adding a Scorsese reference to his many mixed metaphors...

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post

It's not a much-used term any more, but a china closet is: "a cabinet (usually with glass doors) for storing and displaying china."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Clay came out, because someone threatened to out him. It hasn't helped or hurt his career imho.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Srsly View Post
    The order of events is this:

Many, many rumors of Clay being a homosexual (and an ass)
    A guy from Canada had a video of Clay and threatened to expose him
    Dave Foster acted as the surrogate mother so Clay could have a child
    The baby came
    Clay came out

Whether Clay couldn't hide anymore - or wouldn't hide anymore - is debatable. My guess is that he would have had to fess up sooner or later. The baby either forced the issue or provided a very convenient way to come out.

I personally believe it hurt his career.
    Last edited by Jexter; 03-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
    The order of events is this:

Many, many rumors of Clay being a homosexual (and an ass)
    A guy from Canada had a video of Clay and threatened to expose him
    Dave Foster acted as the surrogate mother so Clay could have a child
    The baby came
    Clay came out
    I really hope this is a joke. The only parts that are true is that he has a son and he came out.

Even the choice of "had to fess up sooner or later" implies wrongdoing that he will have to admit to the crime of being gay someday.

Being gay is not a crime and if he chose to keep his private life private for all eternity it is his prerogative and it hurts no one.

The fact that he was harassed and humiliated for years in the tabloids with repeated attempts to force him out, including anonymous claims of having had sex with him by various creeps still made no dent in his determination to keep that part of himself private.

What it did do was to make people repeat such tabloid lies and use them to mock Clay. After 9 years of such undeserved mockery, he has a real uphill battle to show who he really is and to regain the respect he deserves.

Only the birth of his son could inspire him to reconsider and Clay does want his son to be proud of him and for fighting to make the world a better place for him to grow up in.

If you listen to the podcast, Clay was a late bloomer because of regional restrictions. He said he didn't fully realize what it meant to be gay until he arrived in Hollywood for American Idol. As for telling the world through another interview done at a restaurant in NY, if I recall, it could be that he didn't want his child affected by the tabloid rumors swirling around about whether he had actually fathered his son in the "natural" way. His best friend was the surrogate and the sperm was/is his...anyway, that was some years ago and he now appears to be comfortably settled in his own skin and his own life.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Penn was shooting down Lou's ideas because they were bad. He said, this is what comics do, you it write down, then shoot it down until you get an idea that no one can shoot down and go from there to flesh it out. Something to that effect. He may have been condescending in the words he chose, we don't know because editing didn't show the complete brainstorming session but Penn is a good man and should not be discounted for any exhange he had with Lou!
    Yeah, I think Penn got a bad edit. They made him look like the bad, "condescending" guy. I'm glad to have heard what Penn claims happened, because it really goes in line with what we've seen prior to last week. I'm curious who will be the next from the men's team to leave. Are they setting Penn up to be the next one? Or will it be Lou? Maybe somebody else. Penn is a MUCH bigger asset to the team than Lou, and the men would be fools to throw him under the bus.
    Shoepie and jucamer like this.

+ Reply to Thread