+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Joan Rivers - Season 2

Re: Joan Rivers - Season 2

Yes, Florimel. I remember that statement, as well. Joan was definitely name calling.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I wish I had a better memory, but the wages of getting older is loss of memory. So, please correct me if I'm wrong about the following...

First, when Trump told Joan he thought Annie seemed nice, Joan said, "so was Hitler at Buchenwald? I'm sorry, but I don't see how that scurrilous attack is very far from flat out calling Annie Hitler.

Then, I thought Piers, in a different boardroom, gave Joan the opportunity to say she regretted calling Annie Hitler. To which Joan responded, “Yes, I do, because she doesn’t have a mustache. I should have called her Eva Braun.” When given an opportunity to retract or clarify the statement she did quite the opposite.

But, for me the real tell (to use a poker term) was when Joan said about Annie and Brande, "You have a Nazi and a follower". I believe that just reinforces what many here believe was Joan's original intent.

Put as fine a point on it as you like, it looks to me like Joan meant to call Annie Hitler. For that alone she should have been tossed off the show.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

what are you watching? iguanachocolate's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;3441292;
    If what she said was intended to be an insult equating the two, perhaps that would be true. But she was negating Trump's argument, not namecalling.

It was directed towards Annie - it was more about insulting her than it was about negating any argument Trump was making. She was nit trying to mount a counter argumentto Trump, she was trying to insult Annie.
    A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading it. ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958

A large part of the challenge will be fundraising. Joan mentioned several weeks ago that the people she thought she could count on for money hadn't come through for her, and that Trump would be surprised who they are, and that she was willing to give him a list in private. If Joan wins big, it could be because Trump pressured her supporters to come through for her. He may feel he has to pressure them, because he would clearly like to give it to Joan, and that will be difficult if she can't raise enough money.

Funny that he pretended in the last boardroom that it might *not* be about fundraising. Yeah, sure. Trump will have to backstop Joan, in return for having tossed Brandi who might have had a chance at equal bucks.

From TVguide.

In the season Finale, former celebrity contestants return to help the two finalists throw a pre-theatre VIP bash preceding a performance of the Cirque de Soleil show "Wintuk". The party includes a silent auction consisting of items submitted by the celebrities.

===================

should be interesting - wonder what kind of items the celebs will put up for auction...
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

YAY, Joan! I'm so glad you won.

Joan road circles around the other players who are half her age. Good for her.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 05-11-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Glad she won! Way to show that two faced snake in the grass Annie.

The one good thing that came out of this show is that Joan lost a lot of fans with her vile antics. Hopefully I won't have to see her on TV ever again.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3443842;
    The one good thing that came out of this show is that Joan lost a lot of fans with her vile antics. Hopefully I won't have to see her on TV ever again.
    Oh pleeeeeeease let it be so. I have always thought her "comedy" to be of the lowest order and have never understood how or why she had fans. It's not that I specifically object to insult comedy per se, but put her up against someone like Don Rickles, well, there's an old school performer who can do it with style. Self-deprecation? She just looks sad next to Rodney Dangerfield. I keep hearing that she paved the way for female comedians - to my mind, she paved the way for the likes of Andrew Dice Clay, and that I can, and will, live without.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3443861;
    she paved the way for female comedians - to my mind, she paved the way for the likes of Andrew Dice Clay
    The real female pioneers in comedy are women Lucille Ball and Carol Burnett.

+ Reply to Thread